OVEG Video: Basics 2 of 3

PST: discuss Star Trek without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

Sonnenburg
Official Dave Barry Clone

OVEG Video: Basics 2 of 3

Post by Sonnenburg »

Opinionated Voyager Episode Guide's second look at the Basics cliffhanger. In this installment you will no doubt notice my intense anti-Neelix sentiment - well, it's fully deserved. This is his moment to shine and he chokes big time. Given everything that happens because of him, he's lucky the most that happens is being mocked by me. Anyway, the Voyager crew is shoved off onto a barren planet and forced to survive on their own while the Kazon make off with Voyager.

Video
Chuck

Darth Servo
Emperor's Hand

Post by Darth Servo »

Its actually not surprising at all that Janeway assigned Harry and Neelix as group leaders, given her deplorable track record of assigning completely inappropriate people to other tasks in the past, like you ripped on in State of Flux.
"everytime a person is born the Earth weighs just a little more."--DMJ on StarTrek.com
"You see now you are using your thinking and that is not a good thing!" DMJay on StarTrek.com

"Watching Sarli argue with Vympel, Stas, Schatten and the others is as bizarre as the idea of the 40-year-old Virgin telling Hugh Hefner that Hef knows nothing about pussy, and that he is the expert."--Elfdart
Patrick Degan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Patrick Degan »

As I have said before, the stupid bitch deserved to lose her ship. And frankly, I wouldn't have blamed the crew for fragging her as well.
When ballots have fairly and constitutionally decided, there can be no successful appeal back to bullets.
—Abraham Lincoln

People pray so that God won't crush them like bugs.
—Dr. Gregory House

Oil an emergency?! It's about time, Brigadier, that the leaders of this planet of yours realised that to remain dependent upon a mineral slime simply doesn't make sense.
—The Doctor "Terror Of The Zygons" (1975)
Wyrm
Jedi Council Member

Post by Wyrm »

Neelix, Neelix, Neelix... how can you be so utterly useless?
Darth Wong on Strollers vs. Assholes: "There were days when I wished that my stroller had weapons on it."
wilfulton on Bible genetics: "If two screaming lunatics copulate in front of another screaming lunatic, the result will be yet another screaming lunatic. 8)"
SirNitram: "The nation of France is a theory, not a fact. It should therefore be approached with an open mind, and critically debated and considered."

Cornivore! | BAN-WATCH CANE: XVII | WWJDFAKB? - What Would Jesus Do... For a Klondike Bar? | Evil Bayesian Conspiracy
Singular Intellect
Jedi Council Member

Post by Singular Intellect »

Hey, what's that music playing at the beginning of the video?
Swindle1984
Jedi Master

Post by Swindle1984 »

Site seems to be down temporarily, so I'm watching it on youtube.

Once again, the wit and candor in these reviews brightens my otherwise dreary existence.
Your ad here.
DarthShady
Jedi Council Member

Post by DarthShady »

Why couldn't they just kill Neelix?
Sonnenburg

Post by Sonnenburg »

I always get Trekkie apologists who take issue with the reviews, but this one takes the cake. One guy is seriously suggesting my universal translator observation is wrong because Ocampa speak English.... not that Kes specifically has learned English, but that the Ocampa language is English. Really, that a language that is itself a hodgepodge of Latin, German, and French somehow is also spoken by some aliens on the other side of the galaxy. I just had to share that one, it's too much fun to keep to myself.
Chuck

Sonnenburg

Post by Sonnenburg »

Bubble Boy wrote:Hey, what's that music playing at the beginning of the video?
Bonny Portmore by Loreena McKennitt
Chuck

Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

I love how you're almost hysterical with the absurdity of the situation. Nobody really knows why these things happen... they just do. :)
Swindle1984
Jedi Master

Post by Swindle1984 »

Sonnenburg wrote:I always get Trekkie apologists who take issue with the reviews, but this one takes the cake. One guy is seriously suggesting my universal translator observation is wrong because Ocampa speak English.... not that Kes specifically has learned English, but that the Ocampa language is English. Really, that a language that is itself a hodgepodge of Latin, German, and French somehow is also spoken by some aliens on the other side of the galaxy. I just had to share that one, it's too much fun to keep to myself.
Better still, Neelix, who also has had zero reason to learn english prior to Voyager's arrival, also understands Kes, despite the fact that he's a Talaxian.

The only explanation is that Neelix and Kes took the effort to learn Voyager's primary language (english) so they could communicate with everyone without the universal translator.

Of course, Quark and his family lived with Cardassians, Bajorans, and humans, and never bothered to learn any of their languages the entire time. When they went back in time to Roswell, they couldn't understand anything the humans were saying until they fixed the universal translators in their ears.
Your ad here.
Lost Soal
Sith Devotee

Post by Lost Soal »

Sonnenburg wrote:
Bubble Boy wrote:Hey, what's that music playing at the beginning of the video?
Bonny Portmore by Loreena McKennitt
And damn you for putting that music back in my head and associating it with Voyager. I'm going to have to re-watch Highlander a couple of times to try and get rid of any hint of it.

Other than that, the review was very good. As always.
I always get Trekkie apologists who take issue with the reviews, but this one takes the cake. One guy is seriously suggesting my universal translator observation is wrong because Ocampa speak English.... not that Kes specifically has learned English, but that the Ocampa language is English. Really, that a language that is itself a hodgepodge of Latin, German, and French somehow is also spoken by some aliens on the other side of the galaxy. I just had to share that one, it's too much fun to keep to myself.
Can't they even TRY to think of something remotely reasonable, like say Starfleet personnel have UT's implanted into them as standard.
"May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places where you must walk." - Ancient Egyptian Blessing

Ivanova is always right.
I will listen to Ivanova.
I will not ignore Ivanova's recommendations. Ivanova is God.
AND, if this ever happens again, Ivanova will personally rip your lungs out! - Babylon 5 Mantra

There is no "I" in TEAM. There is a ME however.
Isolder74
Official SD.Net Ace of Cakes

Post by Isolder74 »

Wow.....

I had simply forgotten how bad Neelix's survival skills were in this episode.

And i think I might have insulted all boy scout dropouts in my assesment of his skills last review. Neelix has the survival skills of a rock or perhaps a table.

That might insulting to your average table.
Hapan Battle Dragons Rule!
When you want peace prepare for war! --Confusious
That was disapointing ..Should we show this Federation how to build a ship so we may have worthy foes? Typhonis 1
The Prince of The Writer's Guild|HAB Spacewolf Tank General| God Bless America!
Thanatos
Padawan Learner

Post by Thanatos »

I always get Trekkie apologists who take issue with the reviews, but this one takes the cake. One guy is seriously suggesting my universal translator observation is wrong because Ocampa speak English.... not that Kes specifically has learned English, but that the Ocampa language is English.
God forbid entertaining the possibility that the writers forgot they wouldn't speak the same language. :lol:
Marine Corps Tankers Proud and True, Band of Brothers known by Few.
DaveJB
Jedi Council Member

Post by DaveJB »

Would the episode really have been enhanced if there was a scene where Janeway & Co. spent five minutes trying fruitlessly to communicate with Neelix, and eventually decided that they'd have to ignore him until Voyager came back?

Oh, wait a minute, that probably would have made for a better episode, wouldn't it? Never mind. :P
Steel
Jedi Master

Post by Steel »

Saying that Kes speaks english is absurd. I could however buy that the tiny translators they have in their ears can translate stuff that has already been analysed, but to translate a new language requires the power of the ships computers. However the most likely explaination in reality is that the writers are morons.
Swindle1984
Jedi Master

Post by Swindle1984 »

Stark wrote:
Steel wrote:tiny translators they have in their ears
Tell me more.
The only translators I've ever seen installed in anyone's ears were the ones used by Quark and his family.
Your ad here.
Themightytom
Sith Devotee

Post by Themightytom »

Darth Servo wrote:Its actually not surprising at all that Janeway assigned Harry and Neelix as group leaders, given her deplorable track record of assigning completely inappropriate people to other tasks in the past, like you ripped on in State of Flux.
When i saw the music montage i had the feeling you'd finally lost it and Voyager had driven you insane.
Singular Intellect
Jedi Council Member

Post by Singular Intellect »

Swindle1984 wrote:
Stark wrote:
Steel wrote:tiny translators they have in their ears
Tell me more.
The only translators I've ever seen installed in anyone's ears were the ones used by Quark and his family.
But then it should be noted that an example has been set for a completely valid explanation as to why two different species can understand eachother when all other technology has seemingly been removed (like communicators).
Alferd Packer
Sith Marauder

Post by Alferd Packer »

Sonnenburg wrote:I always get Trekkie apologists who take issue with the reviews, but this one takes the cake. One guy is seriously suggesting my universal translator observation is wrong because Ocampa speak English.... not that Kes specifically has learned English, but that the Ocampa language is English. Really, that a language that is itself a hodgepodge of Latin, German, and French somehow is also spoken by some aliens on the other side of the galaxy. I just had to share that one, it's too much fun to keep to myself.
Ha, reminds me of the first Simpson's Halloween Special with Kang and Kodos.

"Hey, how come you guys are speaking English?"

"Oh, actually, you're speaking Rigellian. By sheer coincidence, both languages are exactly the same."
"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance--that principle is contempt prior to investigation." -Herbert Spencer

"Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain." - Schiller, Die Jungfrau von Orleans, III vi.
phred
Jedi Knight

Post by phred »

Thats just.... uummmm.... something. :?

“The problem with defending the purity of the English language is that the English language is as pure as a crib-house whore. It not only borrows words from other languages; it has on occasion chased other languages down dark alley-ways, clubbed them unconscious and rifled their pockets for new vocabulary. “
- James Nicoll

Stated more eloquently than I ever could.
"Siege warfare, French for spawn camp" WTYP podcast

It's so bad it wraps back around to awesome then back to bad again, then back to halfway between awesome and bad. Like if ed wood directed a godzilla movie - Duckie
Isolder74
Official SD.Net Ace of Cakes

Post by Isolder74 »

A slight note I reminded the Trekkies on the youtube page of Spock knowing English as a reminder that Tuvok being understood wasn't so bad. it still does not explain how that both Neelix and Kes can be understood at all without a translator working.

Tuvok is a Vulcan that lives a long time and from a planet that has been a member of the Federation from almost day one. There is no odd reason why he shouldn't be able to speak english.

Neelix is from a planet on the far side of the galaxy and just barely contacted the crew of Voyager not that long ago. If he and Kes learned any of English at all it should be strained or limited rather then fluent.

their answer. Spock speaks english because he's half human. :roll:

By that logic because I'm 1/2 Scotch/Irish I should be able to speak Gallic, and being 1/4 Welsh I should also know Welsh.
Hapan Battle Dragons Rule!
When you want peace prepare for war! --Confusious
That was disapointing ..Should we show this Federation how to build a ship so we may have worthy foes? Typhonis 1
The Prince of The Writer's Guild|HAB Spacewolf Tank General| God Bless America!
Darth Servo
Emperor's Hand

Post by Darth Servo »

Isolder74 wrote:their answer. Spock speaks english because he's half human. :roll:
:shock: More proof of Trek beating into everyone's head the idea that knowledge is based on one's genetics rather than actual learning.
"everytime a person is born the Earth weighs just a little more."--DMJ on StarTrek.com
"You see now you are using your thinking and that is not a good thing!" DMJay on StarTrek.com

"Watching Sarli argue with Vympel, Stas, Schatten and the others is as bizarre as the idea of the 40-year-old Virgin telling Hugh Hefner that Hef knows nothing about pussy, and that he is the expert."--Elfdart
Bounty
Emperor's Hand

Post by Bounty »

their answer. Spock speaks english because he's half human.
It's not as bad an argument as you think. Spock's mother was a teacher who spoke English, so it's hardly inconceivable that he'd learn to speak it too; children of mixed-language couples are more often than not bilingual.

Unless of course they specifically dragged genetics into their argument.