Star Trek: First Contact - Video Review

PST: discuss Star Trek without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

adam_grif
Sith Devotee

Re: Star Trek: First Contact - Video Review

Post by adam_grif »

Take Voyager for example. It's premise is rock-solid awesome. It should have been a great show. But it wasn't, because of incompetent writing and production from the top.
The fact that shit writers write shit scripts is totally unrelated to the fact that good writers start churning out mediocre scripts as time wears on because they've already done so much with the characters and it's hard to keep writing fresh stories and situations. Monster of the week shows suffer from this more than shows with lots of arcs, but they're hardly immune.

You propose replacing the writers with other competent writers as a solution, but that's something of a double edged sword, because new writers rarely know the characters as well and you get inconsistent characterizations or in bad cases total character derailments. Not just characters of course, the universe as a whole will inevitably shift from the vision that the original writers had, which can be good or bad. Nothing here is an obvious silver bullet solution that will guarantee quality across the run for arbitrary lengths of time.
A scientist once gave a public lecture on astronomy. He described how the Earth orbits around the sun and how the sun, in turn, orbits around the centre of a vast collection of stars called our galaxy.

At the end of the lecture, a little old lady at the back of the room got up and said: 'What you have told us is rubbish. The world is really a flat plate supported on the back of a giant tortoise.

The scientist gave a superior smile before replying, 'What is the tortoise standing on?'

'You're very clever, young man, very clever,' said the old lady. 'But it's turtles all the way down.'
Marcus Aurelius
Jedi Master

Post by Marcus Aurelius »

Stofsk wrote:I don't buy that. If a show's quality suffers, it's because the writers keep dropping the ball. In the case of TNG's seventh season, one explanation is that someone incompetent was put in Michael Piller's place. That's why the season suffers from a meandering, unclear run - it's not about anything. In a way, season seven is a prelude to what would happen on Voyager.

Sure, over time people get tired, but that's still their problem. I don't buy this whole 'you can only squeeze out so much from the premise' idea. Take Voyager for example. It's premise is rock-solid awesome. It should have been a great show. But it wasn't, because of incompetent writing and production from the top. Stark's right, a production team eventually gets tired and either needs to guard against it and be aware of it as a serious problem or needs to step away and let new blood into the mix (or some combination). The problem with Star Trek is that they had the same idiots in charge for a decade and it damn near drove the entire franchise to the ground.
Well, you have to separate the merits of the premise and the merits of the writing staff. Voyager did have an decent premise, not really great since it was essentially yet another modification of TOS' premise, but okay nevertheless. Unfortunately it did not have the good writers and creative leaders it would have needed to get something interesting out of it. The same is true with Enterprise.

Would it still had been possible to make a good show using a modification of the original Star Trek premise? Probably, with the right creative team, but there are not a lot of good examples of that happening in long-running franchises. You could say the Doctor Who is one and I would tend to agree, but then again Doctor Who's premise is very non-restrictive; you can do almost anything with it as long as it still has the Doctor. With Star Trek you had by Voyager a large amount of historical baggage including fan expectations of what a proper ST series should look like. DS9 was always an offshoot of that tree, but I don't think it was better just because it had Piller's creative leadership. It is simply easier to make a good show when you have genuinely more room to maneuver. So show premises may not have a fixed expiration date, but extending a certain premise becomes more difficult as it gathers baggage, and new writers can't eject all that baggage without alienating a significant portion of the fans.
Stofsk
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stofsk »

adam_grif wrote:
Take Voyager for example. It's premise is rock-solid awesome. It should have been a great show. But it wasn't, because of incompetent writing and production from the top.
The fact that shit writers write shit scripts is totally unrelated to the fact that good writers start churning out mediocre scripts as time wears on because they've already done so much with the characters and it's hard to keep writing fresh stories and situations. Monster of the week shows suffer from this more than shows with lots of arcs, but they're hardly immune.
Of course they're not immune, the point I am making is that a show doesn't become mediocre after a set time but because of the writing staff getting tired of it. The idea that 'there's only so much you can write' doesn't cut it. It's a simplistic explanation. If the problem is weak scripts, the first place you should look to is the writers. That's why I agree with Stark. The idea that there's a fixed age to a show is ridiculous. How can it explain shows which start off shit, like Voyager, and never improve for their entire run? How does it explain shows that start off weak and don't get good until it's third year, like TNG, when a new creative team (with a new vision for the show) came onboard?
You propose replacing the writers with other competent writers as a solution, but that's something of a double edged sword, because new writers rarely know the characters as well and you get inconsistent characterizations or in bad cases total character derailments. Not just characters of course, the universe as a whole will inevitably shift from the vision that the original writers had, which can be good or bad. Nothing here is an obvious silver bullet solution that will guarantee quality across the run for arbitrary lengths of time.
That was one thing I proposed, and I never said it was a silver bullet solution. One of the things I've already mentioned is that Jeri Taylor took over from Piller, and this had a drastic effect on the show's production. She ended Piller's policy of accepting outside script submissions and she kept everything in-house. That's like the complete opposite of what you should do. People like Ron Moore got into the show based on Piller's policy. That's what you need to keep a show fresh: have an inviting work environment that allows new talent to emerge.
Marcus Aurelius wrote:Well, you have to separate the merits of the premise and the merits of the writing staff.
Griffo was talking about the merits of the premise failing to provide, which I don't agree with. The premise of a show and its execution is only as good as the writers are capable of delivering.
Voyager did have an decent premise, not really great since it was essentially yet another modification of TOS' premise, but okay nevertheless.
On this I disagree. TOS and TNG were about going out to the frontier, voluntarily leaving behind earth, to seek out new planets and have adventures on them with crazy aliens. But they could always return for repairs, supplies, and so on. Voyager was a modification but I think that doesn't give it enough credit. The idea behind Voyager was one small ship stranded on the other side of the galaxy where returning home would take years if not decades. They're not voluntarily out there. And they're not trying to push out even further, they've already gone farther than any other ship has ever gone before. And they're trying to return home, not go explorin' with wild abandon. That premise actually is really intriguing and promising, and it's almost a total reversal of TOS and TNG, especially when you consider half the crew are renegades and not even starfleet. Yet what happens by the end of the first episode? Even the Maquis are wearing starfleet colours. They abandoned their premise right at the start.
Would it still had been possible to make a good show using a modification of the original Star Trek premise? Probably, with the right creative team, but there are not a lot of good examples of that happening in long-running franchises. You could say the Doctor Who is one and I would tend to agree, but then again Doctor Who's premise is very non-restrictive; you can do almost anything with it as long as it still has the Doctor. With Star Trek you had by Voyager a large amount of historical baggage including fan expectations of what a proper ST series should look like. DS9 was always an offshoot of that tree, but I don't think it was better just because it had Piller's creative leadership. It is simply easier to make a good show when you have genuinely more room to maneuver. So show premises may not have a fixed expiration date, but extending a certain premise becomes more difficult as it gathers baggage, and new writers can't eject all that baggage without alienating a significant portion of the fans.
I agree with your views here, but the problem is you're not recognising the sheer ambitious potential a premise like Voyager's had. So Star Trek has a lot of baggage? Hey why don't we take one small ship and strand them in another part of the galaxy where there is none of that baggage. Old adversaries like the Klingons and Romulans becoming boring? Well we're on the other side of the galaxy so none of those guys should even be a factor. But several episodes into it we've already met a Romulan, one of the Maquis crew is actually a Cardassian spy (who predictably and unbelievably turns on the crew to side with a the kazon). There's even episodes which take place on earth for fuck's sake. There was one episode in season 2 that had Harry Kim wake up and he was on earth. Species 8470 builds a mock-up of Starfleet Command on some planet to try and fool Voyager's crew. The Doctor gets beamed onto a Federation ship that's been taken over by Romulans. They even bump into a Klingon ship.

All of that - all of it - due to the writers not even having the balls to stay true to the creative vision that supposedly drove this show's creation. Yes the longer a show continues the harder it is to keep things fresh and original and engaging, but I don't take that as a given. It's a danger for any show, but I agree with Stark, there is nothing intrinsic about television that says a show must become stale after x years have passed. It is more accurate to say that the production team has a limited shelf life and once you acknowledge that you can guard against it or prepare for it.
adam_grif
Sith Devotee

Post by adam_grif »

The idea that there's a fixed age to a show is ridiculous. How can it explain shows which start off shit, like Voyager, and never improve for their entire run? How does it explain shows that start off weak and don't get good until it's third year, like TNG, when a new creative team (with a new vision for the show) came onboard?
What you're saying would be true if I was somehow implying that the only relevant factor is the age of the show and that the metaphorical story well running dry was the only reason shows can shift in quality, as some kind of Unified Shit Theory. If shit writers get replaced with good writers then the writing will become non-shit. But that's not the problem I've been talking about.

Secondly, nobody has been saying there is an intrinsically fixed number of seasons a show can be good for. It's variable, based on the premise of the show and the talent of the writers. Even in the shitty season 9 and 10 of SG-1, there were still some good stories coming out, just not as many as back in the hey-day of the show. It's not like a wall where nothing good can come out of it, it's like peak-oil where you can keep drilling but you're getting less and less each time. In my opinion it's better for shows to go out on high notes than the slow death that so many of the shows get where their quality just goes down the drain and it gets canned.
That premise actually is really intriguing and promising, and it's almost a total reversal of TOS and TNG, especially when you consider half the crew are renegades and not even starfleet. Yet what happens by the end of the first episode? Even the Maquis are wearing starfleet colours. They abandoned their premise right at the start.
Well if we're discussing Voyager, this is an example of what Marcus was saying. The scaffolding put up around the show's premise in the form of the early episodes actively subverted the show - even if the premise was interesting it got neutered by the continuity of the show and transformed into season 8 of TNG with a new cast. The kind of stories they were putting out were exactly the kind of stories that previous Trek had already covered extensively, without taking much advantage of its own new material.
A scientist once gave a public lecture on astronomy. He described how the Earth orbits around the sun and how the sun, in turn, orbits around the centre of a vast collection of stars called our galaxy.

At the end of the lecture, a little old lady at the back of the room got up and said: 'What you have told us is rubbish. The world is really a flat plate supported on the back of a giant tortoise.

The scientist gave a superior smile before replying, 'What is the tortoise standing on?'

'You're very clever, young man, very clever,' said the old lady. 'But it's turtles all the way down.'
Stofsk
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stofsk »

adam_grif wrote:
The idea that there's a fixed age to a show is ridiculous. How can it explain shows which start off shit, like Voyager, and never improve for their entire run? How does it explain shows that start off weak and don't get good until it's third year, like TNG, when a new creative team (with a new vision for the show) came onboard?
What you're saying would be true if I was somehow implying that the only relevant factor is the age of the show and that the metaphorical story well running dry was the only reason shows can shift in quality, as some kind of Unified Shit Theory. If shit writers get replaced with good writers then the writing will become non-shit. But that's not the problem I've been talking about.
It sounds like it in this post:
adam_grif wrote:That's not really it, though. Writers don't stop being good writers after they've written a show for 7 years, but there's only so much life you can squeeze out of a premise and a regular cast of characters.

By the end of 5 seasons, with 40 minute run time and 20 episodes per season, a TV show has 4000 minutes of screen time. By comparison, assuming 100 minutes average running time, the Bond Franchise had 2100 minutes of screen time by the end of it's 21st film. Long running SciFi shows regularly resort to clipshows and stock standard SciFi scripts (Pretty sure invasion of the body snatchers has been remade by every SciFi show ever, generic time travel stories, space vampires, space zombies, space whales) to pad out the episode count. If you reduced to 10-15 episodes per season you could eliminate most of these, but it's kind of just putting off the inevitable. The scripts still go down hill, characters get derailed, continuity gets shat on and so on and so forth. The kind of "we're going to mine this fucking franchise until it's dry" business approach is why this happens, because it makes writers hesitant to plan the story too far in advance lest they get canceled before it's up. Being mostly-planned in advance is why Babylon 5 was so much better in its first four seasons than the ad-hoc 5th season it ended up with.

Unless you're planning on constantly changing things up with actor and character churning or a fluid status quo, it's a bit of a struggle to see shows maintain quality for so many episodes.
That implies there's only so many seasons or so many episodes a show is capable of producing before quality nose dives. You even said it's inevitable, that scripts will go downhill, character development will get derailed etc. I don't necessarily disagree with you that these things happen, but I disagree as to the cause and potential solutions. If you consider making television an art, then it's not good art to sacrifice things like good script work, character development, and continuity just so you can keep a show on the air. If you consider it a business, I don't think it makes good business sense either to do those things because it takes the customers for granted and eventually they'll wise up and leave your product for something else. Which is exactly what happened with Berman and Braga's tenure of the franchise. Trek turned into a joke, and it didn't need to be. The problem is nobody really noticed until the low ratings, reviews and revenue became so bad they couldn't ignore it anymore.
Secondly, nobody has been saying there is an intrinsically fixed number of seasons a show can be good for.
Well, except for Big Orange:
Big Orange wrote:Stargate SG-1 carried on past seven years and guess what? I stopped watching it regularily around that mark (some of the story repetition was getting painful by its seventh series)
when we were talking about how the quality of TNG's seventh started dropping, and he pipes in with an anecdote of how he stopped watching SG-1 around the seventh season for the same reason that TNG started sucking. Which is what Stark responded to, and why I posted agreeing with Stark.
Well if we're discussing Voyager, this is an example of what Marcus was saying. The scaffolding put up around the show's premise in the form of the early episodes actively subverted the show - even if the premise was interesting it got neutered by the continuity of the show and transformed into season 8 of TNG with a new cast. The kind of stories they were putting out were exactly the kind of stories that previous Trek had already covered extensively, without taking much advantage of its own new material.
Yeah, but Voyager was billed as a new show. And for a new show to simply be a continuation of their safe, comfortable TNG is not a problem with the show's premise but with the production staff - which is where Stark's idea that a production team has a limited shelf life becomes applicable. Voyager didn't need to suck, it's premise was ambitious and had great potential.
adam_grif
Sith Devotee

Post by adam_grif »

It sounds like it in this post:
Nothing in the post you just quoted has me saying or even implying that it was the only relevant factor, or denying that shit writers make scripts. I'm not entirely sure what your point is here. I have asserted that it is a reason why declines happen, and that its always going to happen if a show goes on for long enough (with some noted ways to change things up down the bottom of the post). If that's not what you're implying that I have said, then chime in, but it just seems like a straw man at the moment.
That implies there's only so many seasons or so many episodes a show is capable of producing before quality nose dives.
I wouldn't put it so simply. As I note later, it's based on the variability of the premise and the strength of the writers to come up with new shit. Marcus elaborated on a point that I should have made clearer, which was that an additional contributing factor is the ever-increasing continuity which often ties the hands of the writers in terms of what they can and cannot do without contradiction prior material. These three factors make a decline basically inevitable because authors cannot come up with an infinite amount of new ideas that are good and will work within the premise of the show. Even brand new writers end up having their hands tied by two of those three factors. Like I said, it can and probably will improve the show for a while (unless you make a terrible choice of writer), but it can't be kept up indefinitely.
If you consider making television an art, then it's not good art to sacrifice things like good script work, character development, and continuity just so you can keep a show on the air. If you consider it a business, I don't think it makes good business sense either to do those things because it takes the customers for granted and eventually they'll wise up and leave your product for something else. Which is exactly what happened with Berman and Braga's tenure of the franchise. Trek turned into a joke, and it didn't need to be. The problem is nobody really noticed until the low ratings, reviews and revenue became so bad they couldn't ignore it anymore.
We definitely agree on this point, but for whatever reason, execs always like to green-light just one more season of a popular show than try something new. You can understand where they might be coming from of course; new shows are inherently risky, and making a good quality show does NOT guarantee that it will be successful. Highly successful shows almost never bow out gracefully while they're still good.
Well, except for Big Orange:
I'm not so sure he was meaning to imply that 7 was the magic number that nothing could break, but I can see what you were saying now. :)
Yeah, but Voyager was billed as a new show. And for a new show to simply be a continuation of their safe, comfortable TNG is not a problem with the show's premise but with the production staff - which is where Stark's idea that a production team has a limited shelf life becomes applicable. Voyager didn't need to suck, it's premise was ambitious and had great potential.
That's the tragedy of it, I guess. The premise tried to be something new but then the writers shoehorned the new premise to fit the old stories instead of taking it where it led. *shrug*