A thought on 8472's power

PST: discuss Star Trek without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

Ender
Emperor's Hand

A thought on 8472's power

Post by Ender »

8472 is from fluidic space, a dimension that is full of some sort of fluid material, correct?

The existance of all that matter should cause a gravity well, limiting the size of fluidic space before it becose a black hole, correct?

Also, would it not be akin to being deep underwater where there would be a huge pressure exerted on the ships, again limiting it's size because the ships are not crushed?

Or anm I just way the hell off base because of how diffused it is?
بيرني كان سيفوز
Nuclear Navy Warwolf
in omnibus requiem quaesivi, et nusquam inveni nisi in angulo cum libro
ipsa scientia potestas est
Death from the Sea
Sith Devotee

Re: A thought on 8472's power

Post by Death from the Sea »

Ender wrote:8472 is from fluidic space, a dimension that is full of some sort of fluid material, correct?
From the description in Voyager, yes.
Ender wrote:The existance of all that matter should cause a gravity well, limiting the size of fluidic space before it becose a black hole, correct?
I am guessing no, but I have no real idea.
Ender wrote:Also, would it not be akin to being deep underwater where there would be a huge pressure exerted on the ships, again limiting it's size because the ships are not crushed?
IF there was gravity yes it should be like underwater. My question would be which way would the gravity pull? Because fluidic space (if like our space) should be never ending in its dimension so I don't think that pressure would exist like in the ocean. Besides if there was that kind of pressure then Voyager should have either been crushed because it was unprepared for fluidic space or at least had some sort of complication arise from it.
Ender wrote:Or anm I just way the hell off base because of how diffused it is?
IMHO you are wrong, but I could be just as wrong.
"War.... it's faaaaaantastic!" <--- Hot Shots:Part Duex
"Psychos don't explode when sunlight hits them, I don't care how fucking crazy they are!"~ Seth from Dusk Till Dawn
|BotM|Justice League's Lethal Protector
Gil Hamilton
Tipsy Space Birdie

Post by Gil Hamilton »

I'd just leave it at "weird fucking new diminsion that the Paramount script monkeys cooked up to be exotic". I doubt there was very much thought put into the matter.
"Show me an angel and I will paint you one." - Gustav Courbet

"Quetzalcoatl, plumed serpent of the Aztecs... you are a pussy." - Stephen Colbert

"Really, I'm jealous of how much smarter than me he is. I'm not an expert on anything and he's an expert on things he knows nothing about." - Me, concerning a bullshitter
Rye
To Mega Therion

Post by Rye »

Perhaps gravity has a weaker presence in their universe, or perhaps they have an absence of dark matter to generate the gravity in specific places to create galaxies and the like.

My guess would be the fludic stuff is what they have instead of hydrogen from their big bang.

I would hazard a guess that in their dimension, gravity has much less of an effect, leaving the fluid pretty much in one place, not a massive pulling effect, nor the repulsive effect we get over long distances.
EBC|Fucking Metal|Artist|Androgynous Sexfiend|Gozer Kvltist|
Listen to my music! http://www.soundclick.com/nihilanth
"America is, now, the most powerful and economically prosperous nation in the country." - Master of Ossus
Jason von Evil
Sol Badguy

Post by Jason von Evil »

Fluidic space is a dimension where a big bang never accured, I guess.
"It was the hooker rationing that finally drove people over the edge." - Mike on coup in Thailand.
Ender
Emperor's Hand

Post by Ender »

Bump, any other thoughts people?

And I would think the pressuer would push towards the center, there is suppossed to be a mess of black holes and neutron stars at the center, right?
بيرني كان سيفوز
Nuclear Navy Warwolf
in omnibus requiem quaesivi, et nusquam inveni nisi in angulo cum libro
ipsa scientia potestas est
Uraniun235
Emperor's Hand

Post by Uraniun235 »

Fluidic space is just one gigantic fuckup.
SPOOFE
Sith Devotee

Post by SPOOFE »

IF there was gravity yes it should be like underwater. My question would be which way would the gravity pull?
Towards the center of mass, obvously. Fluidic space must be quite young - perhaps even artificially created (some Superbeing's personal pocket universe, maybe?) - or else all that matter would start clumping together, and as more and more mass was added, it would all continue to collapse in on itself.

Further, fluidic space is definitely of a finite size. In the episode Unimatrix Zero (or something like that), a Borg drone that Seven fell in love with said that he was "on the other side of the galaxy, patrolling the edge of fluidic space." (Paraphrased)
The Great and Malignant
Embracer Of Darkness
Worthless Trolling Palm-Fucker

Post by Embracer Of Darkness »

SPOOFE wrote:
IF there was gravity yes it should be like underwater. My question would be which way would the gravity pull?
Towards the center of mass, obvously. Fluidic space must be quite young - perhaps even artificially created (some Superbeing's personal pocket universe, maybe?) - or else all that matter would start clumping together, and as more and more mass was added, it would all continue to collapse in on itself.

Further, fluidic space is definitely of a finite size. In the episode Unimatrix Zero (or something like that), a Borg drone that Seven fell in love with said that he was "on the other side of the galaxy, patrolling the edge of fluidic space." (Paraphrased)
Hmm, maybe fluidic space is just a region in another universe/dimension, or in our own then.
Spanky The Dolphin
Mammy Two-Shoes

Post by Spanky The Dolphin »

Aya wrote:Fluidic space is a dimension where a big bang never accured, I guess.
Ugh, you have no idea how idiotic what you just said is... :roll:

A universe (not dimension, that's an error in termination) were a big bang never occured is literally less than nothing, because there was nothing before the Big Bang. And not nothing like "emptiness", nothing as in "absolutely nothing".
I believe in a sign of Zeta.

[BOTM|WG|JL|Mecha Maniacs|Pax Cybertronia|Veteran of the Psychic Wars|Eva Expert]

"And besides, who cares if a monster destroys Australia?"
Darth Fanboy
DUH! WINNING!

Post by Darth Fanboy »

The thing about the 8472 dimension is that it apparently involves laws of phsyics that do not apply to our universe and what not, so applying our own universe's laws of physics seems wrong in some way.
"If it's true that our species is alone in the universe, then I'd have to say that the universe aimed rather low and settled for very little."
-George Carlin (1937-2008)

"Have some of you Americans actually seen Football? Of course there are 0-0 draws but that doesn't make them any less exciting."
-Dr Roberts, with quite possibly the dumbest thing ever said in 10 years of SDNet.
DocMoriartty
Misogynist Prick

Post by DocMoriartty »

Fluidic Space is not another dimension. At least according to Voyager.

I remember watching a Voyager episode where 7 of 9 was dreaming. When she dreamed she entered this strange reality that the minds of some Borg went into when they regenerated. It was like an offline hivemind that the Queen had no control over.

One odd thing about the place was that none of the Borg whose minds were there knew where they were in real life till something changed towards the end of the episode.

7 of 9's "boyfriend" in the episode tells her his real borg body is on a small scout cube on the "edge of fluidic space". Yep one of the dumbest statements possible in a series full of dumb statements. Try to reconcile that one with fluidic space being its own dimension.
Darth Fanboy
DUH! WINNING!

Post by Darth Fanboy »

DocMoriartty wrote:Fluidic Space is not another dimension. At least according to Voyager.
But weren't 8472 ships accessing the DQ through some sort of tears or something between regular space and fluidic space? I wont pretend to understand Treknobabble and the worthlessness behind it but it still sems to me that 8472 is from a part of space where our laws of physics do not apply.
"If it's true that our species is alone in the universe, then I'd have to say that the universe aimed rather low and settled for very little."

"Have some of you Americans actually seen Football? Of course there are 0-0 draws but that doesn't make them any less exciting."
-Dr Roberts, with quite possibly the dumbest thing ever said in 10 years of SDNet.
DocMoriartty
Misogynist Prick

Post by DocMoriartty »

Darth Fanboy wrote:
DocMoriartty wrote:Fluidic Space is not another dimension. At least according to Voyager.
But weren't 8472 ships accessing the DQ through some sort of tears or something between regular space and fluidic space? I wont pretend to understand Treknobabble and the worthlessness behind it but it still sems to me that 8472 is from a part of space where our laws of physics do not apply.
Obviously the dimensional gate was nothing more than a method of instant travel that took ships to the edge of fluidic space which somehow existed in our galaxy.

Otherwise how could a Borg Cube patrol the border of fluidic space?

My theory would be that "Fluidic" space was merely nothing more than a superdense nebula that Species 8472 resided within. I wouldnt put it past a Trek crew to mistaken a nebula for some sort of fluid. Also this would explain how Voyager was able to operate within "Fluidic Space" at all.
Darth Fanboy
DUH! WINNING!

Post by Darth Fanboy »

DocMoriartty wrote:
Obviously the dimensional gate was nothing more than a method of instant travel that took ships to the edge of fluidic space which somehow existed in our galaxy.

Otherwise how could a Borg Cube patrol the border of fluidic space?

My theory would be that "Fluidic" space was merely nothing more than a superdense nebula that Species 8472 resided within. I wouldnt put it past a Trek crew to mistaken a nebula for some sort of fluid. Also this would explain how Voyager was able to operate within "Fluidic Space" at all.
So what you are saying is that people are using the term "fluidic space" more literally than they should be, interesting.

Watch yourslef though, you said in a previous post that Fluidic space wasnt another dimension, but you just referredto the border of fluidic space as a "dimensional gate"

And if there was a tear or something between real space and fluidic space that would technically be the border, which Borg Ships would patrol.

DocMoriartty
Misogynist Prick

Post by DocMoriartty »

Just reusing the terminology already out there.

There have been previous examples of space folding in ST. Barclay was made a super being by a probe so that he could space fold the Enterprise-D to an alien solar system.

So the borgs "dimensional gate" or "rift" or whatever they called it was merely a space fold that took the Voyager to a remote portion of the galaxy dominated by a super dense nebula.

I am sure the Borg knew full well what the "gate" really was. They just fed Janeway an alarmist line to get them to help.
SPOOFE
Sith Devotee

Post by SPOOFE »

Personally, I like the idea of Fluidic Space being some artificially-created pocket universe, that some Superpowerful being made to play around with, and that 8472 is just one of this Superbeing's creations.

Let's face it... something like Fluidic Space - assuming roughly equal physics (or hell, just gravity) - cannot exist naturally.
The Great and Malignant
Rye
To Mega Therion

Post by Rye »

SPOOFE wrote:Personally, I like the idea of Fluidic Space being some artificially-created pocket universe, that some Superpowerful being made to play around with, and that 8472 is just one of this Superbeing's creations.

Let's face it... something like Fluidic Space - assuming roughly equal physics (or hell, just gravity) - cannot exist naturally.
Well in our universe, the further away you get from large bodies, gravity appears to have a repulsive force doesnt it? MAybe in the 8472 universe, repulsive and attractive forces are the same (i think i remember someone saying stuff like "no stars, no planets") when they had telepathic contact with them).

alternatively yeh, either some distant bit of the galaxy, or perhaps in another galaxy entirely, or some kind of hyperspace or whatever...
"America is, now, the most powerful and economically prosperous nation in the country." - Master of Ossus
DocMoriartty
Misogynist Prick

Post by DocMoriartty »

Rye wrote:
SPOOFE wrote:Personally, I like the idea of Fluidic Space being some artificially-created pocket universe, that some Superpowerful being made to play around with, and that 8472 is just one of this Superbeing's creations.

Well in our universe, the further away you get from large bodies, gravity appears to have a repulsive force doesnt it? MAybe in the 8472 universe, repulsive and attractive forces are the same (i think i remember someone saying stuff like "no stars, no planets") when they had telepathic contact with them).

alternatively yeh, either some distant bit of the galaxy, or perhaps in another galaxy entirely, or some kind of hyperspace or whatever...

It has to be a part of our galaxy. How else could the Borg be patroling the border of Fluidic space?
Darth Fanboy
DUH! WINNING!

Post by Darth Fanboy »

DocMoriartty wrote: It has to be a part of our galaxy. How else could the Borg be patroling the border of Fluidic space?
Along the fold in space between our galaxy and wherever could be considered a border.

Wrath
Padawan Learner

Post by Wrath »

DocMoriartty wrote:

It has to be a part of our galaxy. How else could the Borg be patroling the border of Fluidic space?[/quote]

repulsive force?? errrm I don't believe so, bodys of gravity can cancel each other out at a certain point but they cant repel. if you travel far enough of the solar system our sun would no longer have a noticable gravity pull on your ship but you would still be affected by the gravity pull from our galaxy and the rumured black hole at the centre of it.
errrrm hmmmm
DocMoriartty
Misogynist Prick

Post by DocMoriartty »

Like I said before the easiest solution is that fluidic space is merely a very dense nebula which blocked Voyagers sensors so that she could not detect objects outside the nebula.
Rye
To Mega Therion

Post by Rye »

Wrath wrote:
DocMoriartty wrote:

It has to be a part of our galaxy. How else could the Borg be patroling the border of Fluidic space?
repulsive force?? errrm I don't believe so, bodys of gravity can cancel each other out at a certain point but they cant repel. if you travel far enough of the solar system our sun would no longer have a noticable gravity pull on your ship but you would still be affected by the gravity pull from our galaxy and the rumured black hole at the centre of it.[/quote]

It's currently thought by some, that gravity has a repelling effect over very long distances, and that's why the universe is accelerating in its expansion.
Wrath
Padawan Learner

Post by Wrath »

Rye wrote:
It's currently thought by some, that gravity has a repelling effect over very long distances, and that's why the universe is accelerating in its expansion.
eerm the most thoery about why the universe is accelerating is there isn't enough matter to keep it together, scientists are still trying to measure how much Dark matter there is in the universe to conferm what will happen to is. but i've never read or heard of the theory you've quoted.

edit

ok I did a little bit of research into this and relise where you've made your mistake. when Einstein wrote the theory of relavity his original resualts did not fit what could be proved. so he added a cosmological term to it. which was basically a repulsion term for gravity which could only be felt over long distances....

later when new research proved his original theory correct he retracted this cosmological term and said it was a mistake.
errrrm hmmmm
Rye
To Mega Therion

Post by Rye »

Wrath wrote:
Rye wrote:
eerm the most thoery about why the universe is accelerating is there isn't enough matter to keep it together, scientists are still trying to measure how much Dark matter there is in the universe to conferm what will happen to is. but i've never read or heard of the theory you've quoted.

edit

ok I did a little bit of research into this and relise where you've made your mistake. when Einstein wrote the theory of relavity his original resualts did not fit what could be proved. so he added a cosmological term to it. which was basically a repulsion term for gravity which could only be felt over long distances....

later when new research proved his original theory correct he retracted this cosmological term and said it was a mistake.
No einstein put the constant in it to keep the universe static (as was the idea at the time). He said it was the biggest mistake of his life. So they removed it, and regained the term later to explain the apparent accelleration of the universe. (The spacecraft that have now left our system started to show accelleration before they stopped transmitting IIRC).

Also if there wasn't enough matter in the universe, that would explain why its still expanding, but not accellerating.