discrimation againist gentic engneer people

PST: discuss Star Trek without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

PREDATOR490
Jedi Council Member

Re: discrimation againist gentic engneer people

Post by PREDATOR490 »

Fixing things that are wrong with a child is accepted by the Federation. 'Upgrading' them like you would do a CPU is not.

Bashir was not punished for the actions of his parents but part of why he was gonna get fucked was because he knowingly LIED about his condition for decades. Barring ubers from serving in the Starfleet military makes a great deal of sense and while it may seem unfair the Federation obviously consider the greater good of society more important than a minority of individuals.

Individuals WITH Genetic Engineering were never shown to be mistreated or otherwise punished. Just barred from Starfleet. The bunch Bashir finds are individuals that clearly got fucked up by their treatments. That said, Starfleet is still caring for them and trying to rehabilitate them. When Salene is cured she is allowed to venture off without incident so there is no indication the ubers get mistreated or otherwise suffer penalties beyond Starfleet denying them the ability to serve.
JasonB
Retarded Spambot

Post by JasonB »

PREDATOR490 wrote:Fixing things that are wrong with a child is accepted by the Federation. 'Upgrading' them like you would do a CPU is not.

Bashir was not punished for the actions of his parents but part of why he was gonna get fucked was because he knowingly LIED about his condition for decades. Barring ubers from serving in the Starfleet military makes a great deal of sense and while it may seem unfair the Federation obviously consider the greater good of society more important than a minority of individuals.

Individuals WITH Genetic Engineering were never shown to be mistreated or otherwise punished. Just barred from Starfleet. The bunch Bashir finds are individuals that clearly got fucked up by their treatments. That said, Starfleet is still caring for them and trying to rehabilitate them. When Salene is cured she is allowed to venture off without incident so there is no indication the ubers get mistreated or otherwise suffer penalties beyond Starfleet denying them the ability to serve.
I still see form discrimination to my option great good argument does not cut it. Also how starfleet deal people genetic engineer and child carry super genes they also ban starfleet as will.
Metahive
Sith Devotee

Post by Metahive »

Mutant Gerbil wrote:Also how starfleet deal people genetic engineer and child carry super genes they also ban starfleet as will.
Starfleet bans Starfleet? I guess they just can't stand other people bandying about their copyrighted name, inculding themselves. O, what pitiful malaise the DMCA has brought us!
People at birth are naturally good. Their natures are similar, but their habits make them different from each other.
-Sanzi Jing (Three Character Classic)

Saddam’s crime was so bad we literally spent decades looking for our dropped monocles before we could harumph up the gumption to address it
-User Indigo Jump on Pharyngula

O God, please don't let me die today, tomorrow would be so much better!
-Traditional Spathi morning prayer
Darth Fanboy
DUH! WINNING!

Post by Darth Fanboy »

JasonB

Jason do you use a text to speech translator? This is an honest question.
"If it's true that our species is alone in the universe, then I'd have to say that the universe aimed rather low and settled for very little."
-George Carlin (1937-2008)

"Have some of you Americans actually seen Football? Of course there are 0-0 draws but that doesn't make them any less exciting."
-Dr Roberts, with quite possibly the dumbest thing ever said in 10 years of SDNet.
Enola Straight
Jedi Knight

Post by Enola Straight »

How does Darwin Station exist then?
http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Darwin_ ... ch_Station
Masochist to Sadist: "Hurt me."
Sadist to Masochist: "No."
CrateriaA
Youngling

Post by CrateriaA »

Metahive wrote:
Mutant Gerbil wrote:Also how starfleet deal people genetic engineer and child carry super genes they also ban starfleet as will.
Starfleet bans Starfleet? I guess they just can't stand other people bandying about their copyrighted name, inculding themselves. O, what pitiful malaise the DMCA has brought us!
Dude, I just fucking laughed out loud when I saw "Starfleet bans Starfleet?" Dear lord. :lol: :lol:

God, the trainwreck that is JasonB's posting legibility.
"Who knew the Dark Side of the Force was so anti-free market?"
"He's gonna pull a Will Smith and flip-turn America upside down!!!"-Me on Herman Cain's 999 Tax Plan
I'LL GET OVER IT, I'LL GET OVER IT
Baffalo
Jedi Knight

Post by Baffalo »

Enola Straight wrote:How does Darwin Station exist then?
http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Darwin_ ... ch_Station
From the episode they say they're working on super-immune systems. If I had to take a guess, it's one of several possibilities:
1) To study genetic code and make enhancements to weaker immune systems, which would help children who would otherwise be plagued with diseases.
2) To make a new medicine to boost immune systems in environments where there systems are under constant attack.
3) Starfleet is studying systematic, gradual developments in the human genome to enhance every citizen, not just a select few.
4) Starfleet wants a new breed of super-soldier and forgot to keep the lid on things.

Option 4 seems most unlikely but the other three are entirely possible. All of them fit in with the whole Evolved Humanity that Starfleet is pushing, and this might be the first step in transforming cultural evolution into actual genetic evolution.
"I subsist on 3 things: Sugar, Caffeine, and Hatred." -Baffalo late at night and hungry

"Why are you worried about the water pressure? You're near the ocean, you've got plenty of water!" -Architect to our team
Cesario
Subhuman Pedophilia Advocate

Post by Cesario »

Item 3 makes the most sense, given that the children didn't just get super-immune systems. They also got telepathy, telekinses, and accelerated growth.