Yesterday's Enterpise: Why were the Klingons winning?

PST: discuss Star Trek without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Re: Yesterday's Enterpise: Why were the Klingons winning?

Post by Batman »

Danny wrote:@Danny
SNIPPY
And where did i ever assume the klingon empire was smaller than the UFP? Size does not even factor into defeat or victory unless you dont have the number of ships to defend it. In either case, no1 here made the assumption the empire was "smaller".
I seem to indeed have misremembered that comment to have come from you (or have happened within this thread if at all), so you have my apologies.
2. Why would their suicidal tactics be an advantage rather than a detriment, given that Starfleet ships cum crews that run when victory is unattainable can be reused when Klingon ships and crews that are used in suicide attacks are gone forever (also note that as of TNG and especially DS9) even the Klingons have realized that)?
Who said anything about suicidal attacks?
The fact is- starfleet would lose in manpower. Starfleet ships crew hundreds of people per ship, a galaxy close to 900 to a thousand. A klingon bird of prey? More than 3 dozen at most, and they have proven themselves to be formidable in battle, especially when they fight in packs. Klingons if you havent noticed, field less soldiers on board their war vessels than starfleet does.
Crew complement of a D7, K't'Inga, K'Vort/B'rel, Vor'Cha? The scout BoP has a crew of twelve, I don't think we have any hard numbers on any of the others (and the TNG BoPs routinely have half a dozen people hanging around the bridge alone). But even if you are right, and the Federation loses more soldiers per ship than the Federation does, that doesn't tell us anything worthwhile. The Klingons can have all the manpower they want, won't do beans for them if they don't have the ships to put them on. Also, every single individula on every single Klingon ship appears to be a Klingon. Starfleet has non-human crew members aplenty. Something tells me it's not the Klingons who have the deeper population pool looking for replacements.
A person said earlier in this post that Klingons were more relentless in battle, as evidenced in DS9, and had less qualms about losing soldiers in a war. This warrior ethos of fighting to the bitter end may be construed as weak and wasteful, but if you study history, it does have many advantages.
DO illuminate me. I would really like to know where always fighting to the death (you know the TNG Klingon way) has historically had advantages, because the first thing that comes to mind is WW2 Japan, where it essentially led to a lot of japanese and americans dieing in a war the japanese had no hope of winning.
Lets not forget starfleet ships are incredibly sensitive in battle. Every episode i have watched in ST where they engage in combat, the warp core always seems to be fucked up to some degree right after the first couple of shots.
Doesn'T seem to happen in DS9 all that much, and I know it didn't in the TOS movies (TWOK/TSFS/TUC come to mind). The exploding Warp Core seems to mainly have been an issue with the Flight One Galaxies and VOY.
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

Well there is the love tap E-D took from USS Bozeman in 'Cause and Effect'.
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
Danny
Redshirt

Post by Danny »

DO illuminate me. I would really like to know where always fighting to the death (you know the TNG Klingon way) has historically had advantages, because the first thing that comes to mind is WW2 Japan, where it essentially led to a lot of japanese and americans dieing in a war the japanese had no hope of winning.
1) The battle of Cannae between the Romans and Carthage. Romans were virtually annihilated in that battle [and lost all of the battles up to that point] fighting to the death, never surrendering or retreating. It only emboldened Rome more to continue fighting, and eventually they won the war

2) Battle of Thermopylae. Over 6000 greeks [including the 300 spartans] remained behind to cover the greek retreat, and were slaughtered by Persian Forces. Their last stand would later be used as a morale booster and motivator in the battle of Plataea and Mycale, which ended the Persian conquest of Greece.

3) The battle of Fushimi Castle. Mototada was a loyal retainer to Japanese Warlord leyasu, who was besieged by opposing warlord Mitsunari. Rather than surrendering his men and arms and outnumbered over 20 to 1, his men fought to the death, and Mototada committed seppeku to preserve his honor. His sacrifice reverberated throughout Japan as a true example of Samurai Bushido/Loyalty. Mototada's sacrifice emboldened leyasu to commit into a decisive battle, leading to Sekigahara. The castle was retaken months later. Without the valiant deaths of Mototada, leyasu's army would not have been able to keep morale up and continue fighting. Had they surrendered- leyasu's military and political fate would have been sealed.

4) Battle of the Alamo. Texan/American militia men fought to the death when they could have surrendered in the entirety of their 2 week siege. Their sacrifice so emboldened the texan cause, they destroyed Mexican forces in San Jacinto shouting "remember the alamo". Texas became independent shortly after the battle.

The Japanese may have lost the war, but dont forget the A bombs were the deciding factor. The Japanese were fully prepared to fight to the last child, and I dare say American forces would have been raped had we invaded the home islands. They surrendered only after hiroshima and nagasaki. Had we not been such fuckwads, we would never recovered.
There are 3 types of people in this world: Winners, Losers, and Guys like me who make winners look like losers.
If stupidity was a crime, Earth would be 1 giant prison colony.
JasonB
Retarded Spambot

Post by JasonB »

Problem argument Klingion warrior race is simple fact it took 20 years to bring UFP brink of defeat. UFP also conflict Cardasson Union happen before war stated. Suggestion what ever problem any other minor power cause UFP. They themselves not responsible because UFP able fight 20 war while deal them as will. Fact Klingon Empire able eat more half starfleet during 20 year time period the UFP had done similar level damage Klingon Empire perhaps even little worst. The reason open suggestion Borg is because they could in theory assimilation one starship year able weaken UFP slowly enough weaken to point defeat.
Darth Tedious
Jedi Master

Post by Darth Tedious »

JasonB wrote:Problem argument Klingion warrior race is simple fact it took 20 years to bring UFP brink of defeat. UFP also conflict Cardasson Union happen before war stated. Suggestion what ever problem any other minor power cause UFP. They themselves not responsible because UFP able fight 20 war while deal them as will. Fact Klingon Empire able eat more half starfleet during 20 year time period the UFP had done similar level damage Klingon Empire perhaps even little worst. The reason open suggestion Borg is because they could in theory assimilation one starship year able weaken UFP slowly enough weaken to point defeat.
That's fucking great, Jason. Do you have a single shred of evidence to back up that assertion?
"Darth Tedious just showed why women can go anywhere they want because they are, in effect, mobile kitchens." - RazorOutlaw

"That could never happen because super computers." - Stark

"Don't go there girl! Talk to the VTOL cause the glass canopy ain't listening!" - Shroomy
Stofsk
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stofsk »

Darth Tedious wrote:
JasonB wrote:Problem argument Klingion warrior race is simple fact it took 20 years to bring UFP brink of defeat. UFP also conflict Cardasson Union happen before war stated. Suggestion what ever problem any other minor power cause UFP. They themselves not responsible because UFP able fight 20 war while deal them as will. Fact Klingon Empire able eat more half starfleet during 20 year time period the UFP had done similar level damage Klingon Empire perhaps even little worst. The reason open suggestion Borg is because they could in theory assimilation one starship year able weaken UFP slowly enough weaken to point defeat.
That's fucking great, Jason. Do you have a single shred of evidence to back up that assertion?
Do you like asking questions you already know the answer to? :)
Darth Tedious
Jedi Master

Post by Darth Tedious »

Not really, no.
I think if people actually start directly pressing him to support his bullshit, we might see the end of it...
"Darth Tedious just showed why women can go anywhere they want because they are, in effect, mobile kitchens." - RazorOutlaw

"Don't go there girl! Talk to the VTOL cause the glass canopy ain't listening!" - Shroomy
Enigma
is a laughing fool.

Post by Enigma »

[JasonB mode on] Problem is Jason won't change. Suggestion that he be terminated[i.e. banned]. Fact he'll keep at it until a mod stops him. The reason he lowers the board's collective IQ points by a dozen or two. [JasonB mode off]
ASVS('97)/SDN('03)

"Whilst human alchemists refer to the combustion triangle, some of their orcish counterparts see it as more of a hexagon: heat, fuel, air, laughter, screaming, fun." Dawn of the Dragons

ASSCRAVATS!
Darth Tedious
Jedi Master

Post by Darth Tedious »

I was never suggesting that I thought he might change. Eventually though, he might get caught out with that whole 'support your claims' thing...

StarSword
Jedi Knight

Post by StarSword »

Danny wrote:
1) The battle of Cannae between the Romans and Carthage. Romans were virtually annihilated in that battle [and lost all of the battles up to that point] fighting to the death, never surrendering or retreating. It only emboldened Rome more to continue fighting, and eventually they won the war
There's a great book you ought to read. It's called How to Lose a Battle by Bill Fawcett. In it, he covers Cannae, which was basically a curbstomp because a political appointee with a personal agenda allowed Attila the Hun to choose the battlefield and used unimaginative tactics. Also, the Carthaginian forces were typically better-equipped and -trained than the Romans, who far from being the efficient, professional legions of the AD years, were citizen levies who had previously won battles simply by human wave tactics.
2) Battle of Thermopylae. Over 6000 greeks [including the 300 spartans] remained behind to cover the greek retreat, and were slaughtered by Persian Forces. Their last stand would later be used as a morale booster and motivator in the battle of Plataea and Mycale, which ended the Persian conquest of Greece.
No argument here, but keep in mind that Thermopylae was always meant as a holding action, and was partially offset by Greek naval victories.
3) The battle of Fushimi Castle. Mototada was a loyal retainer to Japanese Warlord leyasu, who was besieged by opposing warlord Mitsunari. Rather than surrendering his men and arms and outnumbered over 20 to 1, his men fought to the death, and Mototada committed seppeku to preserve his honor. His sacrifice reverberated throughout Japan as a true example of Samurai Bushido/Loyalty. Mototada's sacrifice emboldened leyasu to commit into a decisive battle, leading to Sekigahara. The castle was retaken months later. Without the valiant deaths of Mototada, leyasu's army would not have been able to keep morale up and continue fighting. Had they surrendered- leyasu's military and political fate would have been sealed.
I hadn't honestly heard of this one, so no comment.
4) Battle of the Alamo. Texan/American militia men fought to the death when they could have surrendered in the entirety of their 2 week siege. Their sacrifice so emboldened the texan cause, they destroyed Mexican forces in San Jacinto shouting "remember the alamo". Texas became independent shortly after the battle.
Bill Fawcett's book covers the Alamo and its sequel, San Jacinto. The reason the Texans fought to the death at the Alamo was because Santa Anna did not ever accept surrenders. He responded to a previous uprising in the province of Zacatecas by essentially killing and raping everyone his troops could get their hands on and burning every damn thing to the ground, reducing the formerly populous state to a wasteland. He then said the infamous line, "If you kill your enemies, it saves you the trouble of having to forgive them."
The Japanese may have lost the war, but dont forget the A bombs were the deciding factor. The Japanese were fully prepared to fight to the last child, and I dare say American forces would have been raped had we invaded the home islands. They surrendered only after hiroshima and nagasaki. Had we not been such fuckwads, we would never recovered.
The Japanese fought to the last man because of centuries of cultural pressure regarding death with honor, the "samurai ideal" as it were. Once it becomes clear that you can't win, the objective becomes to lose in an honorable fashion, which to the Japanese meant to take as many of the enemy with you as you possibly can. Japanese soldiers were often only captured when they were too badly wounded to commit hara-kiri.
JasonB wrote:<not even going to bother trying to decipher this>
Dude, either make sense and back up your claims or STFU and GTFO.
Last edited by StarSword on 2011-09-18 11:30am, edited 1 time in total.
Star Carrier by Ian Douglas: Analysis and Talkback

The Vortex Empire: I think the real question is obviously how a supervolcano eruption wiping out vast swathes of the country would affect the 2016 election.
Borgholio: The GOP would blame Obama and use the subsequent nuclear winter to debunk global warming.
Stofsk
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stofsk »

He's already been titled ffs - just ignore him.

*wishes SDN had an ignore function...*
Darth Tedious
Jedi Master

Post by Darth Tedious »

StarSword wrote:The Japanese fought to the last man because of centuries of cultural pressure regarding death with honor, the "samurai ideal" as it were. Once it becomes clear that you can't win, the objective becomes to lose in an honorable fashion, which to the Japanese meant to take as many of the enemy with you as you possibly can. Japanese soldiers were often only captured when they were too badly wounded to commit hara-kiri.
The "samurai ideal" also applies to the Battle of Fushimi castle (which happened when said ideal was in full practice) so really, you addressed all of Danny's points. :wink:

Though, the same ideal of honour applies equally to Klingons, which is why (getting back to the main point he was addressing) they more than likely would not surrender even in cases where fighting to the death was a really shit idea.

Danny
Redshirt

Post by Danny »

In warrior cultures, or nations currently fighting for liberty- fighting to the death is a morale booster, whereas in our free loving society its the opposite. Your average klingon is like

"holy shit, am i gonna die for reals? :P LETS GO!!!!"

It is a rather intimidating prospect to be fighting an enemy with no concept of reservations regarding death. He will fight that much harder and that much ruthlessly. Klingons winning a war over the federation has more to do with beliefs than hardware. Master Sun Tzu once said

"Wars are won in the temples and homes before the first battle is fought". Since klingons readily wish to go to war with anyone, they are more or less unified which will help them win. The federation are just pussies.
There are 3 types of people in this world: Winners, Losers, and Guys like me who make winners look like losers.
Batman
Emperor's Hand

Post by Batman »

Danny wrote:In warrior cultures, or nations currently fighting for liberty- fighting to the death is a morale booster, whereas in our free loving society its the opposite. Your average klingon is like "holy shit, am i gonna die for reals? :P LETS GO!!!!"
The term 'hogwash' comes to mind. Plenty of 'free loving society' forces have fought to the death...if and when there was something to be achieved by doing so. You 'warrior cultures' will fight to the death no matter what even when it makes no difference whatsoever.
It is a rather intimidating prospect to be fighting an enemy with no concept of reservations regarding death. He will fight that much harder and that much ruthlessly. Klingons winning a war over the federation has more to do with beliefs than hardware.
Because-you say so? Let's see...
I'm a Klingon captain with a B'Rel facing a dozen Excelsiors. 'Today is a good day to die!' Zero damage to the Excelsiors, the B'Rel and crew are lost forever.
I'm a Federation captain with a War Oberth (I know there's no such thing but it was the first ship that came to mind roughly the same size as the B'Rel) facing a dozen K'Vorts. 'Nuts. There's jack all we can do here, better run home and report this, then see where else we can help.'
I wonder which approach is going to aid their respective war efforts more.
Since klingons readily wish to go to war with anyone,
Indeed. Including themselves.
they are more or less unified which will help them win.
Which is why there never was a Klingon civil war or something. Oh wait. Unified my kevlar clad behind.
The federation are just pussies.
Good for them. It means that unlike the Klingons, they retain all the ships and crew that would otherwise have been wasted in pointless suicide attacks.
Danny
Redshirt

Post by Danny »

The term 'hogwash' comes to mind. Plenty of 'free loving society' forces have fought to the death...if and when there was something to be achieved by doing so. You 'warrior cultures' will fight to the death no matter what even when it makes no difference whatsoever.
free loving liberal societies became such AFTER they were a culture of revolutionists willing to shed their own countrymens blood to bring liberation. America which started out with notions of independence had its loyalist population tar and feathered, property stolen, beaten and hanged. Slavery was accepted and homos were treated like criminals. "Our founding fathers" who were willing to fight and die for the new nation had no qualms shitting over its own soldiers and constituents even after the war. Ever "liberal" society today started out with a warrior mindset.
I'm a Klingon captain with a B'Rel facing a dozen Excelsiors. 'Today is a good day to die!' Zero damage to the Excelsiors, the B'Rel and crew are lost forever.
I'm a Federation captain with a War Oberth (I know there's no such thing but it was the first ship that came to mind roughly the same size as the B'Rel) facing a dozen K'Vorts. 'Nuts. There's jack all we can do here, better run home and report this, then see where else we can help.'
I wonder which approach is going to aid their respective war efforts more
Name me 1 incident where a klingon captain fought against 12 excelsiors? Klingons are NOT stupid- they do fight in packs and have a strategic mindset. They may be willing to fight to the death, but they arent suicidal to the point of not gaining any advantage in combat.

Which is why there never was a Klingon civil war or something. Oh wait. Unified my kevlar clad behind.
Name me 1 war where klingons were not unified against an outside force? Whether or not they fight against each other is not important. Even starfleet had their small civil skirmishes. The point is the entire race fights against any1 who assaults them no matter what. Civil strife takes a back seat until the external threat is annihilated.
Good for them. It means that unlike the Klingons, they retain all the ships and crew that would otherwise have been wasted in pointless suicide attacks.
And still lose the war, while the klingons win.
JasonB
Retarded Spambot

Post by JasonB »

Danny wrote:
free loving liberal societies became such AFTER they were a culture of revolutionists willing to shed their own countrymens blood to bring liberation. America which started out with notions of independence had its loyalist population tar and feathered, property stolen, beaten and hanged. Slavery was accepted and homos were treated like criminals. "Our founding fathers" who were willing to fight and die for the new nation had no qualms shitting over its own soldiers and constituents even after the war. Ever "liberal" society today started out with a warrior mindset.
I wonder which approach is going to aid their respective war efforts more
Name me 1 incident where a klingon captain fought against 12 excelsiors? Klingons are NOT stupid- they do fight in packs and have a strategic mindset. They may be willing to fight to the death, but they arent suicidal to the point of not gaining any advantage in combat.

Name me 1 war where klingons were not unified against an outside force? Whether or not they fight against each other is not important. Even starfleet had their small civil skirmishes. The point is the entire race fights against any1 who assaults them no matter what. Civil strife takes a back seat until the external threat is annihilated.
And still lose the war, while the klingons win.
Will if UFP would send in starships help Gowron during that Klingon civil war and then Romulus send in warships we would had a case. We might had even had two Klingon Empires.
Danny
Redshirt

Post by Danny »

:shock: Jason
lord Martiya
Jedi Master

Post by lord Martiya »

Could someone translate Jason's argument for me? When I had my dog try it, she started laughing her ass off...
Metahive
Sith Devotee

Post by Metahive »

He means that if the Romulans had acted openly there would have been a case of Klingons bickering among themselves while under attack by an outside force.

But it isn't necessary to speculate, during the Dominion war Gowron send klingon ships into suicidal battles en masse just because he suspected Martok was trying to steal his thunder in a time where the Klingons had to do all the fighting. That's close enough to support Batman's point.
People at birth are naturally good. Their natures are similar, but their habits make them different from each other.
-Sanzi Jing (Three Character Classic)

Saddam’s crime was so bad we literally spent decades looking for our dropped monocles before we could harumph up the gumption to address it
-User Indigo Jump on Pharyngula

O God, please don't let me die today, tomorrow would be so much better!
-Traditional Spathi morning prayer
Metahive
Sith Devotee

Post by Metahive »

Also, Danny is dead-wrong about the Klingons anyway. While they like to boast about themselves being fearless warrirors, there are in fact numerous examples where they have backed down or retreated in the face of an overwhelming enemy. The Expanse, Way of the Warrior, hell, Yesterday's Enterprise had the first K'Vort retreating when the Enterprise damaged it critically and come back later with reinforcements. Not afraid of death? Pfft, don't make me laugh. The Borg fit that niche better.

The Klingons are more a race of arrogant, interstellar bullies than proud warriors.
People at birth are naturally good. Their natures are similar, but their habits make them different from each other.
-Sanzi Jing (Three Character Classic)

Saddam’s crime was so bad we literally spent decades looking for our dropped monocles before we could harumph up the gumption to address it
-User Indigo Jump on Pharyngula

O God, please don't let me die today, tomorrow would be so much better!
-Traditional Spathi morning prayer
Danny
Redshirt

Post by Danny »

I think what he means is if the federation sent ships to help gowron fight the house of duras during the Klingon civil war, then the romulans would have sent ships to help duras. This would have ended with a split in the empire between gowron and duras.

An interesting hypothesis, but has nothing to do with the topic.
Enigma
is a laughing fool.

Post by Enigma »

Danny wrote:I think what he means is if the federation sent ships to help gowron fight the house of duras during the Klingon civil war, then the romulans would have sent ships to help duras. This would have ended with a split in the empire between gowron and duras.

None. None at all. UFP's help was way way wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy past the signing of the Khitomer Accords and therefore useless in this topic.
ASVS('97)/SDN('03)

"Whilst human alchemists refer to the combustion triangle, some of their orcish counterparts see it as more of a hexagon: heat, fuel, air, laughter, screaming, fun." Dawn of the Dragons

ASSCRAVATS!
JasonB
Retarded Spambot

Post by JasonB »

Enigma wrote:
Danny wrote:I think what he means is if the federation sent ships to help gowron fight the house of duras during the Klingon civil war, then the romulans would have sent ships to help duras. This would have ended with a split in the empire between gowron and duras.

None. None at all. UFP's help was way way wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy past the signing of the Khitomer Accords and therefore useless in this topic.
Klingon were warrior race should been another reason they should be losing . Let face we see case TOS and DS9 that klingon take alive POW. Hardly Japanese that normal save their lest bullet for themselves or Spartans that never surrender no matter what nor retreat. We see klingon do stupid surprise attack on UFP starship much more likely get own crew killed then likely to be successful in TOS and in Yesterday Enterprise timeline and in DS9. Across DS9 warrior culture cost them victory when came to Klingon over power DS9 during Way of the warrior. Those Klingon boarding parties would have been successful on DS9 if they had their disrupters readily fire rather then have blade weapons in hands ready used. For that matter Klingon TOS would done better Klingon DS9. The way the Klingon retreated as will. With their warrior like attitude to decide fight when other races that have common sense choose to retreat would cost them many more starships, men and equipment. For that matter way Riker said” they should not be so confident suggestion Klingon take heavy lose during last major battle Archer 5.
Enigma
is a laughing fool.

Post by Enigma »

Blahbeddy boop? durgle campfootgoo? That is all I got from your crap.
ASVS('97)/SDN('03)

ASSCRAVATS!
Batman
Emperor's Hand

Post by Batman »

Jason obviously means that since all Klingons are severely allergic to peanut butter, as evidenced by the TNG s9 episode 'The reason all Klingons are severely allergic to peanut butter', and since as per that same episode, peanut butter can effortlessly be beamed through Klingon shields, the Federation would have won because it could have easily neutralized the Klingon fleet by simply beaming vast amounts of peanut butter onto their ships.