OEG: Tapestry & In The Pale Moonlight

PST: discuss Star Trek without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

Sonnenburg
Official Dave Barry Clone

OEG: Tapestry & In The Pale Moonlight

Post by Sonnenburg »

From last week (was gone for the holiday): Tapestry

Video

From today: In The Pale Moonlight (and a followup if it matters)

Video
Chuck

Questor
Jedi Council Member

Re: OEG: Tapestry & In The Pale Moonlight

Post by Questor »

Chuck those were wonderful. I really love the editorials you do every once in a while. While you make jokes about "magnetic balls" you really seem to put a lot of thought into these.
neoolong
Dead Sexy 'Shroom

Post by neoolong »

Great episodes, and great reviews. Thanks.

I loved the end of In the Pale Moonlight with the repetition.
Member of the BotM. @( !.! )@
JediMaster415
Padawan Learner

Post by JediMaster415 »

As I said earlier today, In the Pale Moonlight is perhaps my favorite Star Trek episode ever so I can only thank you for reviewing it. I really love dark character pieces, especially when the main character faces a decision anyone could face. In this case, which is the lesser evil? You were able to highlight the points that made the episode so wonderful.
Samuel
Sith Marauder

Post by Samuel »

Nice humor at the beginning, seriously afterwards a good touch.
Stofsk
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stofsk »

I loved your 'Tapestry' review, and I'm gonna watch the other review now.
Samuel
Sith Marauder

Post by Samuel »

Stofsk wrote:I loved your 'Tapestry' review, and I'm gonna watch the other review now.
It has two parts. I might comment on the second when I am not unconscious.
Prannon
Jedi Knight

Post by Prannon »

There was a very strange moment at the end of your review to Tapestry. I was actually inspired. I've been going through a bit of a funk lately regarding things I've done in my past, and the idea that mistakes I've made were bad but helpful in my development really helped to lift me. It's a shame that we didn't see more of these kinds of episodes in all of Trek, because that's a really uplifting and helpful kind of optimism, not just the idea that humanity will be better than we are now.

As for In the Pale Moonlight, I'm a little stunned at how well delivered the lines were between Sisko, Garak, and Quark. I grew up on Voyager (loved it, but I was young and didn't know better), so I haven't had exposure to that kind of quality. I just wanna thank you, Mr. Sonnenberg, for bringing these episodes to light as the masterpieces of trek they are.
Kuja
The Dark Messenger

Post by Kuja »

"Damn. If everyone who's died is greeted by their worst enemy in judges' robes, it's no wonder cadavers crap themselves."

I had to pause the video after this line because I damn near hurt myself laughing. Jesus Chuck, of all the jokes you've ever cracked in these videos, this one is pure, solid gold.

The same can be said for these reviews. I think these are the best I've ever seen from you.
JADAFETWA
Glom
Youngling

Post by Glom »

The line of Garak's at the end is so well delivered it sent shivers down my spine.
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

"Well, He's just a brewer with an opinion" I love that line and I like both of these reviews because they're heavier on the follow up than some of your reviews. I like your recaps which are often quite amusing but I like the long winded philosophical stuff better.
Steve
Emperor's Hand

Post by Steve »

All the videos were good, but the second video was especially excellent and thought-provoking. People do sometimes forget that tolerance means not just putting up with people who are different from you but people who disagree with you. It doesn't require you to agree with them but simply accept having to co-exist with them.
”A Radical is a man with both feet planted firmly in the air.” – Franklin Delano Roosevelt

"No folly is more costly than the folly of intolerant idealism." - Sir Winston L. S. Churchill, Princips Britannia

American Conservatism is about the exercise of personal responsibility without state interference in the lives of the citizenry..... unless, of course, it involves using the bludgeon of state power to suppress things Conservatives do not like.

DONALD J. TRUMP IS A SEDITIOUS TRAITOR AND MUST BE IMPEACHED
Ghost Rider
Spirit of Vengeance

Post by Ghost Rider »

Both are fantastic episodes, one actually using Q as something more then "Me superbeing...you puny mortal, what say you!". The fact he actually taught something to Picard was even better when you think about how much of Trek is usually the humans teaching some supreme creature what it means to be human. As if it was something only a bunch of idjits from Earth knew of.

The DS9 episode was excellent, just amazed you didn't use the last line because it for me encapsulated what was different. Sisko is torn but in the end, he would do it again because he knows it's the only way.
MM /CF/WG/BOTM/JL/Original Warsie/ACPATHNTDWATGODW FOREVER!!

Sometimes we can choose the path we follow. Sometimes our choices are made for us. And sometimes we have no choice at all

Saying and doing are chocolate and concrete
tim31
Sith Devotee

Post by tim31 »

Avery Brooks' delivery of the line nails it; I'm pressed to imagine Picard saying it, and Janeway wouldn't because as the esteemed reviewer points out time and again, she is written to be infallible, once and for all.
lol, opsec doesn't apply to fanfiction. -Aaron

PRFYNAFBTFC
CAPTAIN OF MFS SAMMY HAGAR
ImageImage
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Wow.

Chuck, you really did treat yourself to some good trek (finally). I have to say your tapestry review was perfect.

Inter arma enim silent leges just always struck me as more moving - because in here, the Federation screws over a dedicated, patriotic individual who has done nothing wrong and is not a condescending jackass. Without half the need as in "The Pale Moonlight".
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

tim31 wrote:Avery Brooks' delivery of the line nails it; I'm pressed to imagine Picard saying it, and Janeway wouldn't because as the esteemed reviewer points out time and again, she is written to be infallible, once and for all.
Yeah, Brooks could go a little over board in his performances, especially early in the series, but I think this episode is tied with "Far Beyond the Stars" as his best performance in the series.
Wyrm
Jedi Council Member

Post by Wyrm »

Not one, but two 10-ers! What a treat!

Verily, they are amongst Trek's best moments. If only this was the worst Trek had to offer!
Darth Wong on Strollers vs. Assholes: "There were days when I wished that my stroller had weapons on it."
wilfulton on Bible genetics: "If two screaming lunatics copulate in front of another screaming lunatic, the result will be yet another screaming lunatic. 8)"
SirNitram: "The nation of France is a theory, not a fact. It should therefore be approached with an open mind, and critically debated and considered."

Cornivore! | BAN-WATCH CANE: XVII | WWJDFAKB? - What Would Jesus Do... For a Klondike Bar? | Evil Bayesian Conspiracy
Sonnenburg

Post by Sonnenburg »

Thanks a lot, everyone. I came very close to not posting the follow-up; in addition to the normal time I invest in it, Saturday morning I wound up spending four hours reworking it over and over, and basically I set the whole thing to process and walked away for a while. Finally I just said to hell with it and posted it, so I'm glad it went over well.
Chuck

Junghalli
Sith Acolyte

Post by Junghalli »

Glom wrote:The line of Garak's at the end is so well delivered it sent shivers down my spine.
It's a definite candidate for the cool quotes list I keep in my computer.
Stofsk
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stofsk »

Sonnenburg wrote:Thanks a lot, everyone. I came very close to not posting the follow-up; in addition to the normal time I invest in it, Saturday morning I wound up spending four hours reworking it over and over, and basically I set the whole thing to process and walked away for a while. Finally I just said to hell with it and posted it, so I'm glad it went over well.
Out of curiosity, what other 10-star episodes do you have in mind? Not that I don't like the standard "Let's tear this crappy episode a new asshole" review, but I find I like your positive reviews of Trek's best. It's... sorta refreshing.
tim31
Sith Devotee

Post by tim31 »

If you think of a worthy candidate Stofsk, I might pony up the fifty bucks(or whatever it is) to see it done.

PRFYNAFBTFC
ImageImage
Stofsk
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stofsk »

I could probably suggest a dozen or so episodes that are on the higher end of the scale.

I didn't realise you could request a review if you greased the wheels a bit. Although it isn't surprising. I, too, would work for money. :)
Sonnenburg

Post by Sonnenburg »

It is all in support of the site, though. All the money so far has been used for me to make computer upgrades so that I can improve the quality of the product. In fact, in a couple hours I'm taking the latest donation money and seeing if I can buy a better microphone, so I can say the letter "p" without killing small birds.
Chuck

tim31
Sith Devotee

Post by tim31 »

:lol:

Or you could trade the Caddy for a microphone?

PRFYNAFBTFC
ImageImage
Tsyroc
Emperor's Hand

Post by Tsyroc »

tim31 wrote::lol:

Or you could trade the Caddy for a microphone?

:lol: Nice.

I'd also like to see what kind of old police car he could at get auction in this day and age.
By the pricking of my thumb,
Something wicked this way comes.
Open, locks,
Whoever knocks.