The Star Trek trailer

PST: discuss Star Trek without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

McC
Rabid Monkey

Re: The Star Trek trailer

Post by McC »

TrekMovie has a spoilery shot-for-shot analysis of the trailer.
-Ryan McClure-
Scaper - Browncoat - Warsie (semi-movie purist) - Colonial - TNG/DS9-era Trekker - Hero || BOTM - Maniac || Antireligious naturalist
Bounty
Emperor's Hand

Post by Bounty »

Great article, if a bit nitpickery. The CANON ALERTS are funny at times - I made the exact same "Kirk doesn't drive stick!" comment on TrekBBS :lol:

EDIT: Hey, it's Doctor... Beckett, is it? The Stargate guy in the hangar.
Darth Onasi
Jedi Knight

Post by Darth Onasi »

It'd be interesting if the cop is a robot, sort of a stab in the face at TNG's "oh lolz we're too damn stupid to mass produce any kind of humanoid robot while an old man in a tool shed did it 40 years ago".
But really do they *have* to show Kirk and Spock being born? Seems nothing but a waste of screen time to me.
If I had something interesting, profound or incredibly stupid to say, it would go here.
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

Huh. I didn't notice that Sulu was wielding a sword when I saw the trailer; I was wondering if we were going to see him doing that at all... :)

"Oh my."
Pulp Hero
Jedi Master

Post by Pulp Hero »

I'm thinking the "cop" is Old-Spock disguising himself.
I can never love you because I'm just thirty squirrels in a mansuit."

"Ah, good ol' Popeye. Punching ghosts until they explode."[/b]-Internet Webguy

"It was cut because an Army Ordnance panel determined that a weapon that kills an enemy soldier 10 times before he hits the ground was a waste of resources, so they scaled it back to only kill him 3 times."-Anon, on the cancellation of the Army's multi-kill vehicle.
Thanatos
Padawan Learner

Post by Thanatos »

Man, what is with people and this robot cop bullshit? Its clearly a helmeted cop with a voice box and vision system.

The only thing stupider is claiming its Spock.
Marine Corps Tankers Proud and True, Band of Brothers known by Few.
tim31
Sith Devotee

Post by tim31 »

Thanatos wrote:The only thing stupider is claiming its Spock.
There's nothing stupid in claiming it. I wouldn't raise an eyebrow at this stage if he's right.
lol, opsec doesn't apply to fanfiction. -Aaron

PRFYNAFBTFC
CAPTAIN OF MFS SAMMY HAGAR
ImageImage
Bob the Gunslinger
Has not forgotten the face of his father

Post by Bob the Gunslinger »

The "robocop" sure does sound like Nimoy speaking through a face mask...
"Gunslinger indeed. Quick draw, Bob. Quick draw." --Count Chocula

"Unquestionably, Dr. Who is MUCH lighter in tone than WH40K. But then, I could argue the entirety of WWII was much lighter in tone than WH40K." --Broomstick

"This is ridiculous. I look like the Games Workshop version of a Jedi Knight." --Harry Dresden, Changes

"Like...are we canonical?" --Aaron Dembski-Bowden to Dan Abnett
JME2
Emperor's Hand

Post by JME2 »

Bob the Gunslinger wrote:The "robocop" sure does sound like Nimoy speaking through a face mask...
I don't think so; sounds too young.
Singular Intellect
Jedi Council Member

Post by Singular Intellect »

I'm actually becoming more and more interested in seeing this.

It's an obvious significant remake, time travel plot not withstanding.

Perhaps I'm just overly optimistic given other reset/remake efforts, like Batman.

At the very least I expect it to be a good popcorn flick if nothing else.
"Now let us be clear, my friends. The fruits of our science that you receive and the many millions of benefits that justify them, are a gift. Be grateful. Or be silent." -Modified Quote
Kamakazie Sith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Kamakazie Sith »

Bob the Gunslinger wrote:The "robocop" sure does sound like Nimoy speaking through a face mask...
I thought it sounded like the voice of Optimus Prime.
Milites Astrum Exterminans
Bounty
Emperor's Hand

Post by Bounty »

Thanatos wrote:Man, what is with people and this robot cop bullshit? Its clearly a helmeted cop with a voice box and vision system.

The only thing stupider is claiming its Spock.
Indeed. Why would Spock pose as a highway cop? It doesn't make the least bit of sense.

The cop's facemask does look a bit elaborate for what is basically a bike helmet, but this is TEH FUTESHURE, so I'll give it a pass. definitely not a robot, though.
Darth Onasi
Jedi Knight

Post by Darth Onasi »

Looking at the hangar scene.. is it just me or does it look like a scene from V? :P
If I had something interesting, profound or incredibly stupid to say, it would go here.
McC
Rabid Monkey

Post by McC »

-Ryan McClure-
Scaper - Browncoat - Warsie (semi-movie purist) - Colonial - TNG/DS9-era Trekker - Hero || BOTM - Maniac || Antireligious naturalist
Singular Intellect
Jedi Council Member

Bounty wrote:The cop's facemask does look a bit elaborate for what is basically a bike helmet
Why hasn't anyone else considered that perhaps it's just an alien police officer, who cannot handle Earth's atmosphere and potential lighting conditions?
"Now let us be clear, my friends. The fruits of our science that you receive and the many millions of benefits that justify them, are a gift. Be grateful. Or be silent." -Modified Quote
Samuel
Sith Marauder

Post by Samuel »

Bubble Boy wrote:
Bounty wrote:The cop's facemask does look a bit elaborate for what is basically a bike helmet
Why hasn't anyone else considered that perhaps it's just an alien police officer, who cannot handle Earth's atmosphere and potential lighting conditions?
Earth importing alien police officers... who are vulnerable to the planet's atmosphere? That is just the kind of thinking that qualifies you as Federation officer material!
Singular Intellect
Jedi Council Member

Samuel wrote:
Bubble Boy wrote:
Earth importing alien police officers... who are vulnerable to the planet's atmosphere? That is just the kind of thinking that qualifies you as Federation officer material!
Right...after all, hostile living conditions ensure exploration and work do not take place at said locations. That's why we don't do things like set up camps in the Antarctic or dive multi-kilometers under the sea because those situations are so hostile to human life.

I mean shit, if that alien had a serious problem with his life support system, you'd have to be able to fucking teleport him to safety because it's so dangerous, right? :roll:
Samuel
Sith Marauder

Post by Samuel »

Well, unlike the deep sea, we have individuals who can work in this environement on the surface. Even better, we don't have to go off planet to get them!
I mean shit, if that alien had a serious problem with his life support system, you'd have to be able to fucking teleport him to safety because it's so dangerous, right?
The transporter is a high end piece of military gear. In the entire series, there is no indication that it is used by anyone but the fleet.

Not to mention it just makes thing horribly complicated.
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

Couldn't it just be a suit to make things more comfortable for the human rider?

It could have an Iron Man style user interface, or something like what fighter pilots wear to deal with g forces.
"Oh no, oh yeah, tell me how can it be so fair
That we dying younger hiding from the police man over there
Just for breathing in the air they wanna leave me in the chair
Electric shocking body rocking beat streeting me to death"

- A.B. Original, Report to the Mist

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
Singular Intellect
Jedi Council Member

Samuel wrote:Well, unlike the deep sea, we have individuals who can work in this environement on the surface. Even better, we don't have to go off planet to get them!
You've never heard of cultural exchange programs, have you?

Apparently it's been classified only to you that Starfleet typically employs the mentality that any peaceful and productive species is welcome to Earth.
I mean shit, if that alien had a serious problem with his life support system, you'd have to be able to fucking teleport him to safety because it's so dangerous, right?
The transporter is a high end piece of military gear. In the entire series, there is no indication that it is used by anyone but the fleet.
Starfleet security used transporters to get to Harry Kim's location when he was under house arrest in a Voyager episode. And that's just off the top of my head. So either Starfleet replaced the police forces or the police forces have been shown to use them. Take your pick.
Not to mention it just makes thing horribly complicated.
I've heard a mass transportation system that requires maintaining roads, production and maintenance of millions of personal vehicles, driver education facilities, insurance laws/facilities, safety laws/facilities and several other interesting ideas is also a complicated idea.

But yeah, I guess potentially one alien police officer is a bit much, huh?
Singular Intellect
Jedi Council Member

Gandalf wrote:Couldn't it just be a suit to make things more comfortable for the human rider?
If it is, it's one hell of a shitty design.
It could have an Iron Man style user interface, or something like what fighter pilots wear to deal with g forces.
Even fighter pilots tend to have helmets that they can, you know, see out of with their own eyes....
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

Bubble Boy wrote:
Gandalf wrote:Couldn't it just be a suit to make things more comfortable for the human rider?
Based on... ?
Even fighter pilots tend to have helmets that they can, you know, see out of with their own eyes....
But Iron Man didn't, which is my point. They've got viewscreens, so this isn't too far off.

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
Singular Intellect
Jedi Council Member

Gandalf wrote:
Bubble Boy wrote:
Based on... ?
Noticing there's no possible way the officer has peripheral vision, for one.
But Iron Man didn't, which is my point. They've got viewscreens, so this isn't too far off.
I don't see how Iron Man's wank has anything to do with this. He's so armored and sensored up anyhow that seeing something out of the corner of his eye isn't all that important.

Neither of which has been established for our officer here, by the way.
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

Bubble Boy wrote:I don't see how Iron Man's wank has anything to do with this. He's so armored and sensored up anyhow that seeing something out of the corner of his eye isn't all that important.

Thank you, Doctor Nog. :roll:

I know that nothing's been established. I'm commenting on what's possible based on what the Trekverse has been seen to have.

We've seen in assorted publicity shots that there's a lot of interesting user interface work going on, most notably in the bridge viewscreen which may be a window. This is where I got my idea of some in helmet interface. Information could be fed to him from afar on things like road conditions or if he needs to be somewhere.

- George Carlin
Singular Intellect
Jedi Council Member

Gandalf wrote:
Bubble Boy wrote:I don't see how Iron Man's wank has anything to do with this. He's so armored and sensored up anyhow that seeing something out of the corner of his eye isn't all that important.

Thank you, Doctor Nog. :roll:

I know that nothing's been established. I'm commenting on what's possible based on what the Trekverse has been seen to have.

We've seen in assorted publicity shots that there's a lot of interesting user interface work going on, most notably in the bridge viewscreen which may be a window. This is where I got my idea of some in helmet interface. Information could be fed to him from afar on things like road conditions or if he needs to be somewhere.
And this requires severely restricting the user's vision...why again?