The Star Trek trailer

PST: discuss Star Trek without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

Bounty
Emperor's Hand

Re: The Star Trek trailer

Post by Bounty »

. And what killed TMP was not its trailer but it's agonisingly slow pace and the negative buzz that developed.
The TMP trailer was basically a montage of faces from the movie with a voiceover saying "look, it's those TOS guys! Go see this movie!", followed by... quick clips of the three action scenes in the movie. Fire torpedoes! Red alert klaxons! People running and shouting!

Just like, I dunno, the new Trek trailer perhaps? Could it be that this setup has worked for trailers for quite some time? Could it be that an exhilarating, attention-grabbing trailer, even if it belies the actual movie, is a sound marketing technique?
Thanatos
Padawan Learner

Post by Thanatos »

Bounty wrote:Could it be that an exhilarating, attention-grabbing trailer, even if it belies the actual movie, is a sound marketing technique?
The Corruptor is the best example of that. Slow paced drama turned into a buddy cop action movie.
Marine Corps Tankers Proud and True, Band of Brothers known by Few.
Patrick Degan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Patrick Degan »

Bounty wrote:
. And what killed TMP was not its trailer but it's agonisingly slow pace and the negative buzz that developed.
The TMP trailer was basically a montage of faces from the movie with a voiceover saying "look, it's those TOS guys! Go see this movie!", followed by... quick clips of the three action scenes in the movie. Fire torpedoes! Red alert klaxons! People running and shouting!

Just like, I dunno, the new Trek trailer perhaps? Could it be that this setup has worked for trailers for quite some time? Could it be that an exhilarating, attention-grabbing trailer, even if it belies the actual movie, is a sound marketing technique?
And the fact that this approach has failed —on a measurable curve— for the last three films says nothing to you?

Besides, who do you think you're kidding trying to parallel the far more coherent TMP trailer to that ADD-oriented trailer for this upcoming movie?
When ballots have fairly and constitutionally decided, there can be no successful appeal back to bullets.
—Abraham Lincoln

People pray so that God won't crush them like bugs.
—Dr. Gregory House

Oil an emergency?! It's about time, Brigadier, that the leaders of this planet of yours realised that to remain dependent upon a mineral slime simply doesn't make sense.
—The Doctor "Terror Of The Zygons" (1975)
Enigma
is a laughing fool.

Post by Enigma »

Is the new Trek trailer officially available online?
ASVS('97)/SDN('03)

"Whilst human alchemists refer to the combustion triangle, some of their orcish counterparts see it as more of a hexagon: heat, fuel, air, laughter, screaming, fun." Dawn of the Dragons

ASSCRAVATS!
McC
Rabid Monkey

Post by McC »

Enigma wrote:Is the new Trek trailer officially available online?
Monday for the official release. 'til then, it's bootlegs.
-Ryan McClure-
Scaper - Browncoat - Warsie (semi-movie purist) - Colonial - TNG/DS9-era Trekker - Hero || BOTM - Maniac || Antireligious naturalist
Bounty
Emperor's Hand

Post by Bounty »

And the fact that this approach has failed —on a measurable curve— for the last three films says nothing to you?
Because of the trailer, or because the franchise was in freefall from FC onwards?
Besides, who do you think you're kidding trying to parallel the far more coherent TMP trailer to that ADD-oriented trailer for this upcoming movie?
The only difference is that they're thirty years apart and audiences have gotten used to quicker editing (something which, for the record, I don't think is a good evolution at all). The content however, the focus on action scenes, and the editing to emphasise spectacle and excitement are the same.
Zac Naloen
Sith Acolyte

Post by Zac Naloen »

But has worked for hundreds of other films...

Trailers get people wanting to see it, but if reviews of the final product are crap people won't go see it regardless of the trailer.

That said a bad trailer on a good film makes for a sleeper hit. Trouble is blockbusters can't afford to be sleeper hits.

Oh and I liked the trailer, it made me want to see the film. I'm not really a fan of Star Trek, I stopped watching it when I was a kid so i'm not emotionally invested or anything and all these faults people are pointing out seem a little odd to me. The Star Trek was an action adventure show at heart, why pretend this film needs to be anything different?
Member of the Unremarkables
Just because you're god, it doesn't mean you can treat people that way : - My girlfriend
Evil Brit Conspiracy - Insignificant guy
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

So it's a team of wacky misfits on the Federation's biggest, baddest starships?

I imagine/hope subsequent trailers will maybe elaborate more on the story itself.
Zac Naloen wrote:The Star Trek was an action adventure show at heart, why pretend this film needs to be anything different?
I'd dispute the use of the word action in there. Some of Trek's best offerings didn't have much action at all.
"Oh no, oh yeah, tell me how can it be so fair
That we dying younger hiding from the police man over there
Just for breathing in the air they wanna leave me in the chair
Electric shocking body rocking beat streeting me to death"

- A.B. Original, Report to the Mist

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
Ender
Emperor's Hand

Post by Ender »

The first teaser, I had some hope for this. It captured the right feel for me. Now, not so much. This looks like they threw Top Gun, Star Wars, and 90210 into a blender and used Star Trek names to fill in the blanks on their madlibs plot.
بيرني كان سيفوز
Nuclear Navy Warwolf
in omnibus requiem quaesivi, et nusquam inveni nisi in angulo cum libro
ipsa scientia potestas est
Skylon
Jedi Council Member

Post by Skylon »

Saw it last night. It's certainly better on the big screen than the bootleg. The effects look pretty. Star Trek has been due for at least, an aesthetic make-over since it maintained the TNG-era look for far too long. I still maintain the same reservations about the film though. At the very least though, it made Star Trek seem fun for the first time in quite awhile.

One way or another, we'll find out in May.
-A.L.
"Nothing in this world can take the place of persistence...Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'press on' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race." - Calvin Coolidge

"If you're falling off a cliff you may as well try to fly, you've got nothing to lose." - John Sheridan (Babylon 5)

"Sometimes you got to roll the hard six." - William Adama (Battlestar Galactica)
Ryan Thunder
Village Idiot

Post by Ryan Thunder »

Personally, I wasn't going to see it until I saw this trailer.

'Course, I sometimes watch movies just for the cinematography, and to be perfectly honest, it was the cinematography that drew me in here.

Oh, by the way, Patrick? With all due respect, fuck off. :D

Don't think that you can insinuate that the trailer is ADD-oriented (and that's somehow a bad thing) without somebody who actually has ADHD reading it. ;)
SDN Worlds 5: Sanctum
FSTargetDrone
Emperor's Hand

Post by FSTargetDrone »

Manus Celer Dei wrote:What? That's not a shuttlebay. You've got a screencap from Battlestar Galactica mixed up in there somehow. It's the Galactica's Viper bay.
Nope. Watch the trailer. It's in there. Besides, those shuttles look nothing like Galactica's shuttles.
Last edited by FSTargetDrone on 2008-11-16 04:21pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bounty
Emperor's Hand

Post by Bounty »

FSTargetDrone wrote:
Manus Celer Dei wrote:What? That's not a shuttlebay. You've got a screencap from Battlestar Galactica mixed up in there somehow. It's the Galactica's Viper bay.
Nope. Watch the trailer. It's in there. Besides, those shuttles look nothing like Galactica's shuttles.
I think he was being ironic. The bay might be part of that starbase or something, through the shape of it... that thing might just fit in the bigger ass of the new Enterprise.
FSTargetDrone
Emperor's Hand

Post by FSTargetDrone »

Bounty wrote:I think he was being ironic. The bay might be part of that starbase or something, through the shape of it... that thing might just fit in the bigger ass of the new Enterprise.
Hehe, ok.
Patrick Degan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Patrick Degan »

Ryan Thunder wrote:Personally, I wasn't going to see it until I saw this trailer.

'Course, I sometimes watch movies just for the cinematography, and to be perfectly honest, it was the cinematography that drew me in here.

Oh, by the way, Patrick? With all due respect, fuck off. :D

Don't think that you can insinuate that the trailer is ADD-oriented (and that's somehow a bad thing) without somebody who actually has ADHD reading it. ;)
Well, if all that appeals to you is lots of flashy explosions, knock yourself out.
When ballots have fairly and constitutionally decided, there can be no successful appeal back to bullets.
—Abraham Lincoln

—Dr. Gregory House

Oil an emergency?! It's about time, Brigadier, that the leaders of this planet of yours realised that to remain dependent upon a mineral slime simply doesn't make sense.
Patrick Degan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Patrick Degan »

Bounty wrote:
The only difference is that they're thirty years apart and audiences have gotten used to quicker editing (something which, for the record, I don't think is a good evolution at all). The content however, the focus on action scenes, and the editing to emphasise spectacle and excitement are the same.
The thing of it is, it's still possible to offer something a lot more coherent to a contemporary movie audience both for a trailer and a feature film. This thing coming up appears to have all the earmarks of a movie whipped up by committee and following a set of marketing points. Same approach which has been failing consistently for the last several years which is why the Franchise is in freefall.
—Abraham Lincoln

—Dr. Gregory House

Ryan Thunder
Village Idiot

Re:

Post by Ryan Thunder »

Patrick Degan wrote:Well, if all that appeals to you is lots of flashy explosions, knock yourself out.
Hey, there's more to a movie than just flashy explosions (they aren't bad, though.) Give me well-done cinematography, and I'll probably watch it. That means good use of dramatic camera shots, such as the rotate-around shot we see of Spock getting transported. That's something I don't think we've ever seen from Star Trek before.

Of course, I'll have to see the whole movie to judge effectively, but even if the plot turns out to be a reeking pile of horseshit, well, the movie's still salvageable for me. :lol:
SDN Worlds 5: Sanctum
Bounty
Emperor's Hand

Post by Bounty »

The HD version is out. Only on Apple for the moment, which sucks since the Apple site and Ubuntu don't play nice.
Same approach which has been failing consistently for the last several years which is why the Franchise is in freefall.
An approach which hasn't been apparent from anything but the trailer, a trailer that's cut to do what a trailer is supposed to do: be eye-catching. I don't see what your hang-up is here, other than being upset the movie isn't how you would have done it.
Samuel
Sith Marauder

Post by Samuel »

This thing coming up appears to have all the earmarks of a movie whipped up by committee and following a set of marketing points.
I remember watching Babylon 5 on DVD. Than taking a look at the ads at the end. Those things always look like they were designed by a committee for people with ADD.

Of course, if you want a less maniac trailer, I think they have that out as well.
Thanatos
Padawan Learner

Post by Thanatos »

The bay might be part of that starbase or something, through the shape of it... that thing might just fit in the bigger ass of the new Enterprise.
Its on Earth, note the sunlight coming in from all the windows.
Marine Corps Tankers Proud and True, Band of Brothers known by Few.
Enigma
is a laughing fool.

Post by Enigma »

I've seen the trailer an me like. Me like it very mooch. :)
ASVS('97)/SDN('03)

"Whilst human alchemists refer to the combustion triangle, some of their orcish counterparts see it as more of a hexagon: heat, fuel, air, laughter, screaming, fun." Dawn of the Dragons

ASSCRAVATS!
Jon
Jedi Council Member

Post by Jon »

The HD trailer is just beautiful... can't wait to see some screencaps of everything that's going on it in all their HD glory.
JLTucker
BANNED

Post by JLTucker »

Jon wrote:The HD trailer is just beautiful... can't wait to see some screencaps of everything that's going on it in all their HD glory.
I didn't see the new trailer in HD on Apple's website. Trailer 1 in HD is the trailer for Clovershit and Trailer 2 in HD is the first Trek trailer.

Edit: Can anyone else confirm that this is happening?
Bounty
Emperor's Hand

Post by Bounty »

Some interesting things that weren't very visible in the SD version:

Kirk's license plate

Weird buildings in the Iowa skyline

Enterprise under construction

From the descriptions, this might be Nero's ship

And what looks like Klingon prison guards man-handling Nero.

There are a few good up-close shots of the Kelvin too, but AviDemux running on my junker of a laptop has trouble moving frame-by-frame :(
Jon
Jedi Council Member

Post by Jon »

Love it...