Trek XI reveal begins

PST: discuss Star Trek without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Re: Trek XI reveal begins

Post by Batman »

I think they referred to the Big E being the Federation flagship on several occasions in TOS too but it's been eons since I saw that so I freely admit that I might be me confusing it with the later Trekverse.
Doesn't change the fact that giving one of the 12 most advanced starships the UFP has (as we're ALSO told in TOS) to a bunch of cadets for their training cruise moderately stupid.
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

Johonebesus wrote:So I'm the only one who isn't impressed? Kirk looks too young and cute. The bit about a fight between Kirk and Sulu sounds very worrying. Dark and gritty isn't always a move in the right direction, especially given Hollywood's tendency of late to offer us characters who never matured out of an adolescent mind set.
You're not the only one. The cast just looks... wrong to me. They look like a group of high schoolers hanging out in that first photo. I can't explain why exactly. Its just a gut feeling.

But I don't think it looks like they're going for "dark and gritty". That bridge looks more polished than Next Generation.
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

I SUPPORT A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE TO REMOVE TRUMP FROM OFFICE.
Marcus Aurelius
Jedi Master

Post by Marcus Aurelius »

Johonebesus wrote:So I'm the only one who isn't impressed? Kirk looks too young and cute.
Too young and especially it looks like he has NO extra fat around the mid-section! We demand a realistic looking hero! After all, where did all those Romulan Ales go?
Jon
Jedi Council Member

Post by Jon »

Batman wrote:I think they referred to the Big E being the Federation flagship on several occasions in TOS too but it's been eons since I saw that so I freely admit that I might be me confusing it with the later Trekverse.
Doesn't change the fact that giving one of the 12 most advanced starships the UFP has (as we're ALSO told in TOS) to a bunch of cadets for their training cruise moderately stupid.
None of them seem to be in the cadet uniforms shown in various sneak set images. They all seem to be in officer uniforms. Perhaps this is from the end of the film after they have come together as a crew?
Base Delta Zero
Padawan Learner

Post by Base Delta Zero »

Well, that bridge looks damn awesome. It looks nothing like anything seen in Star Trek, but it looks awesome. Phaser bolts a little odd. Maybe they're 'phase cannons' or something?

My big issue with this is that Kirk looks about 15.
Darth Wong wrote:If the Church did driver training, they would try to get seatbelts outlawed because they aren't 100% effective in preventing fatalities in high-speed car crashes, then they would tell people that driving fast is a sin and chalk up the skyrocketing death toll to God's will. And homosexuals, because homosexuals drive fast.
Peptuck wrote: I don't think magical Borg adaptation can respond effectively to getting punched by a planet.
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

Sidewinder wrote:I still like the design; gun turrets say, "You can have my ship when you tear it from my cold, dead fingers," instead of "Don't shoot! We have no weapons more dangerous than a frowning Klingon!" as Picard-era ships seem to say.
Lol weapons should clearly be designed with style in mind!

I'm curious about the movie now - it seems odd that they've kept the ship, but changed so many details (the entire style is different), and kept the cast and gone to great effort to put the old characters in this entirely new setting.

If only it didn't have a retarded time travel framework I might actually watch it, even. It amuses me that Kirk doesn't wear the full uniform; he's got the black undershirt everyone else is wearing but not his BRANCH JUMPER on. :)
Anguirus
Sith Marauder

Post by Anguirus »

I feel like Nero looking like Shinzon may be very deliberate. The screenwriters seems to take a "canon is canon, like it or not" philosophy, so the first part will probably be a Nemesis sequel with Old Spock and Nero going to the past, and thus allowing the "reboot." Sort of like how T:SCC doesn't "retcon" T3 so much as time-travel it out of existence, explicitly.
"I spit on metaphysics, sir."

"I pity the woman you marry." -Liberty

This is the guy they want to use to win over "young people?" Are they completely daft? I'd rather vote for a pile of shit than a Jesus freak social regressive.
Here's hoping that his political career goes down in flames and, hopefully, a hilarious gay sex scandal.
-Tanasinn
You can't expect sodomy to ruin every conservative politician in this country. -Battlehymn Republic
My blog, please check out and comment! http://decepticylon.blogspot.com
Thanatos
Padawan Learner

Post by Thanatos »

My big issue with this is that Kirk looks about 15.
How the hell does he look 15? This is what someone who is 15 looks like:

Man, TV has really screwed up peoples idea of how old people should look.
Marine Corps Tankers Proud and True, Band of Brothers known by Few.
Uraniun235
Emperor's Hand

Post by Uraniun235 »

Hey, those color overshirts look like they're made out of the same fabric they use in high school gymnasiums for when it's time to play flag football! :P

Also, god damn. That bridge is eye-poppingly bright.

Patrick Degan wrote:It was still basically the Andrew Probert design but sharper.
I don't believe Probert was involved much in interiors - I believe that was Harold "Hal" Michelson. For example, Probert tells the story of the TMP recreation deck, wherein he notes that his suggestions on the placement and design of the rec deck were intruding on Hal's domain.

That said, I tend to prefer the more subdued lighting of the first two films' bridges. I think the best of all Trek bridges would combine the best elements of TMP and TWOK's bridges.
"There is no "taboo" on using nuclear weapons." -Julhelm
What is Project Zohar?
"On a serious note (well not really) I did sometimes jump in and rate nBSG episodes a '5' before the episode even aired or I saw it." - RogueIce explaining that episode ratings on SDN tv show threads are bunk
Bounty
Emperor's Hand

Post by Bounty »

Batman wrote:Okay, maybe I'm missing something, but if this is, indeed, the bridge of the big E, and indeed, that black shirt (that never before seen black shirt) is a captain's shirt, how come Kirk is so incredibly young? As per established canon Kirk didn't get command of NCC-1701 until at worst a few years before the start of TOS. Am I supposed to believe what was allegedly the flagship of Starfleet was given to recruits for training purposes?
Considering Abram's refusal to say if it's a reboot, reimaginging, sequal, prequel, retcon or anything in-between, I wouldn't fret too much about details like that. At the moment I'm approaching it like the new Batman, as another retelling of the story, and if Abrams thinks he can get a better movie out of having the young cast together on the Big E, that's fine by me.
Also, god damn. That bridge is eye-poppingly bright.
I'm hoping that's just a trick of the photo; the shot of the viewscreen looks a lot less white. Also, if that's Sulu in his chair and Chekov's chair sitting empty next to him, the shot is aimed at the rear-port side of the bridge; depending on what's directly behind Kirk, the overall look of the bridge can still be quite a lot different than what this image shows.

The more I see those uniforms thje more I dig them - they're dead ringers for the TOS ones from a distance but space-age up close, they've got all the details - even the rank braids! - but subtly different enough to stand out. Whoever designed those knew what he/she was doing, that's for sure.
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

Bana's ears are obviously Vulcan.

So I guess nobody's going to see them. I imagine they'll be mutilated in such a way as to render him unrecognisable.
"Oh no, oh yeah, tell me how can it be so fair
That we dying younger hiding from the police man over there
Just for breathing in the air they wanna leave me in the chair
Electric shocking body rocking beat streeting me to death"

- A.B. Original, Report to the Mist

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
charlemagne
Jedi Knight

Post by charlemagne »

spaceviking wrote:not the worst bridge, but looks a little to much like apple designed it.
I thought the same thing, although it's a nice contrast to the last movies where the bridges got darker and more sparsingly lit every time.

Also, the turrets are cool, if the assumed neo-BSG-influence makes for somehow more realistic tech, it might work out fine and hopefully better than it did in Enterprise.
Jon
Jedi Council Member

Post by Jon »

From EW
Bounty
Emperor's Hand

Post by Bounty »

Sexy. Isn't that a FASA design?

From the accompanying article - spoilerized due to, well, spoilers:

Star Trek's time-travel plot is set in motion when a Federation starship, the USS Kelvin, is attacked by a vicious Romulan (Eric Bana) desperately seeking one of the film's heroes. From there, the film then brings Kirk and Spock center stage and tracks the origins of their friendship and how they became officers aboard the Enterprise. In fact, the movie shows how the whole original series crew came together: McCoy (Karl Urban), Uhura (Zoë Saldana), Scotty (Simon Pegg), Sulu (John Cho), and Chekov (Anton Yelchin). The adventure stretches from Earth to Vulcan, and yes, it does find a way to have Nimoy appearing in scenes with at least one of the actors on our cover — and maybe both. The storytelling is newbie-friendly, but it slyly assimilates a wide range of Trek arcana, from doomed Captain Pike (Bruce Greenwood) to Sulu's swordsmanship to classic lines like, ''I have been, and always shall be, your friend.'' More ambitiously, the movie subversively plays with Trek lore — and those who know it. The opening sequence, for example, is an emotionally wrenching passage that culminates with a mythic climax sure to leave zealots howling ''Heresy!'' But revisionism anxiety is the point. ''The movie,'' Lindelof says, ''is about the act of changing what you know.''
Last edited by Bounty on 2008-10-16 10:32am, edited 1 time in total.
Jon
Jedi Council Member

Post by Jon »

I'm unsure. I can't tell whether that's a nacelle on top or an engineering hull and deflector dish, given you can see something peeking out beneath the saucer with a red glowing tinge which could be a nacelle.
Bounty
Emperor's Hand

Post by Bounty »

Jon wrote:I'm unsure. I can't tell whether that's a nacelle on top or an engineering hull and deflector dish, given you can see something peeking out beneath the saucer with a red glowing tinge which could be a nacelle.
That's whay I thought FASA; there's an old design with a Constitution saucer, an engineering hull on top, and two nacelles below. It looks like it was at least inspired by that design.
Bounty
Emperor's Hand

Post by Bounty »

Just for shits and giggles: if you take the Kelvin pic, flip it, and rearrange a few parts...

NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Post by NecronLord »

Interesting, I agree, they look far too young in that first picture. That could just be because they're all looking fairly gormless, though. I also like the uniforms. Sylar-spock definately looks the part.

I notice that that there seem to be green-trailing missiles in both those pictures. Presumably what the villains are firing at them. A different emphasis on missiles here, perhaps?
Superior Moderator - BotB - HAB [Drill Instructor]-Writer- Stardestroyer.net's resident Star-God.
"We believe in the systematic understanding of the physical world through observation and experimentation, argument and debate and most of all freedom of will." ~ Stargate: The Ark of Truth
Jon
Jedi Council Member

Post by Jon »

I think someone got a bit excited with the airbrush on this one;

8 page story about the movie with some scene descriptions here;

http://www.ew.com/ew/article/0,,20233502,00.html
charlemagne
Jedi Knight

Post by charlemagne »

Jon wrote: Image
OMG they're on display in Madame Tussauds wax museum already?

On that picture they indeed look like 15.
Bounty
Emperor's Hand

Post by Bounty »

Confirmation that the black tunic is a cadet version. Sky battles over Vulcan? That's either going to be incredibly cool or... nah, it'll be cool :mrgreen:
On that picture they indeed look like 15.
What, is this the new stock dumbshit no-brains remark? Or do you just have no idea what a fifteen-year-old looks like?
The Spartan
Sith Marauder

Post by The Spartan »

Aren't officers typically in their mid to late 30's before they get command of even a minor ship?
The Gentleman from Texas abstains. Discourteously.
PRFYNAFBTFC-Vice Admiral: MFS Masturbating Walrus :: Omine subtilite Odobenus rosmarus masturbari
Soy un perdedor.
"WHO POOPED IN A NORMAL ROOM?!"-Commander William T. Riker
Sidewinder
Sith Acolyte

Post by Sidewinder »

Stark wrote:
Sidewinder wrote:I still like the design; gun turrets say, "You can have my ship when you tear it from my cold, dead fingers," instead of "Don't shoot! We have no weapons more dangerous than a frowning Klingon!" as Picard-era ships seem to say.
Lol weapons should clearly be designed with style in mind!
Weapons should be designed with PRACTICALITY in mind. Gun turrets are practical because the sights and other targeting systems can be mounted on them, sharing a line-of-sight (and fire) so it's easier to aim the weapons. The phaser strips from 'The Next Generation'... not as practical.
Please do not make Americans fight giant monsters.

Those gun nuts do not understand the meaning of "overkill," and will simply use weapon after weapon of mass destruction (WMD) until the monster is dead, or until they run out of weapons.

They have more WMD than there are monsters for us to fight. (More insanity here.)
charlemagne
Jedi Knight

Post by charlemagne »

Bounty wrote: What, is this the new stock dumbshit no-brains remark? Or do you just have no idea what a fifteen-year-old looks like?
You're right, there's no acne whatsoever to be seen.

On a more serious note: well yes, 15 is a hyperbole.
GrandMasterTerwynn
Emperor's Hand

Post by GrandMasterTerwynn »

Something about these pictures is not giving me a warm, fuzzy feeling about this movie. I keep having this sinking feeling that they're going to make this film "realistic" and give it a "dramatic edge" with lots of LiveJournal McTeenangst. The Comically Over-the-Top Bad Guy(tm) isn't giving me any warm-fuzzies about this movie either.

I'm waiting to see a trailer, but chances are, I'm going to steer clear of this movie until people here go to see it in the theatres and come back to rant about it.