Could a torpedo deliver its full yield?

PST: discuss Star Trek without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

AMX
Jedi Knight

Could a torpedo deliver its full yield?

Post by AMX »

I was just reading the "Federation Torpedoes" page, when I had a possibly stupid idea:

When a torpedo explodes, at least 50% of the energy released are directed away from the target.
Even the radiation heading directly away will "only" move at the speed of light.
Now, if the torpedo was moving FTL, and if its warp field takes a moment to collapse, the explosion will still be moving towards the target at FTL speed, so even the energy that would normally be wasted should hit it.

Anyone care to point out the flaws in that idea?

Um, hi. New guy here. Hope I'm not making a too bad first impression...
StarshipTitanic
Sith Marauder

Re: Could a torpedo deliver its full yield?

Post by StarshipTitanic »

AMX wrote:I was just reading the "Federation Torpedoes" page, when I had a possibly stupid idea:

When a torpedo explodes, at least 50% of the energy released are directed away from the target.
Even the radiation heading directly away will "only" move at the speed of light.
Now, if the torpedo was moving FTL, and if its warp field takes a moment to collapse, the explosion will still be moving towards the target at FTL speed, so even the energy that would normally be wasted should hit it.

Torpedoes can't move FTL. You know it's impossible to go at lightspeed in real space, right?
"Man's unfailing capacity to believe what he prefers to be true rather than what the evidence shows to be likely and possible has always astounded me...God has not been proven not to exist, therefore he must exist." -- Academician Prokhor Zakharov

"Hal grabs life by the balls and doesn't let you do that [to] hal."

"I hereby declare myself master of the known world."
CJvR
Sith Devotee

Post by CJvR »

You would need something like a shaped charge to direct the blast, something I would imagine to be hard to design out of a M/AM bomb.
I thought Roman candles meant they were imported. - Kelly Bundy
12 yards long, two lanes wide it's 65 tons of American pride, Canyonero! - Simpsons
Support the KKK environmental program - keep the Arctic white!
Alyeska
Federation Ambassador

Post by Alyeska »

StarshipTitanic wrote:
AMX wrote:I was just reading the "Federation Torpedoes" page, when I had a possibly stupid idea:

Torpedoes can't move FTL. You know it's impossible to go at lightspeed in real space, right?
Actualy we have visual evidence that they can. TNG Half a Life.
"If the facts are on your side, pound on the facts. If the law is on your side, pound on the law. If neither is on your side, pound on the table."

"The captain claimed our people violated a 4,000 year old treaty forbidding us to develop hyperspace technology. Extermination of our planet was the consequence. The subject did not survive interrogation."
SCRawl
Has a bad feeling about this.

Post by SCRawl »

Alyeska wrote:
StarshipTitanic wrote:

Actualy we have visual evidence that they can. TNG Half a Life.
Just a nitpick, but that can't be right. Nothing can move at the speed of light in real space, period -- that pesky special relativity again. If it moves at the speed of light or faster, and it has mass, it's in some other medium. Clearly, a torpedo has mass, and if it has some means of going FTL, that's great, but it can't do it in real space.
73% of all statistics are made up, including this one.

I'm waiting as fast as I can.
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

SCRawl wrote: Just a nitpick, but that can't be right. Nothing can move at the speed of light in real space, period -- that pesky special relativity again. If it moves at the speed of light or faster, and it has mass, it's in some other medium. Clearly, a torpedo has mass, and if it has some means of going FTL, that's great, but it can't do it in real space.
Too bad Trek ship under Warp do it all the time.
Trek ships fire torps at one another at Warp speed, therefore the torpedoes are able to maintain Warp speed, if not achieve it on their own. Therefore, torpedoes can very clearly move FTL.
Doesn't do beans about the delivered yield, though.
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
Gil Hamilton
Tipsy Space Birdie

Post by Gil Hamilton »

Alyeska wrote:Actualy we have visual evidence that they can. TNG Half a Life.
Actually, visual evidence from "Half A Life" clearly shows the torpedo as much less than the speed of light. THe FTL stuff comes from dialogue about the torpedo crossing a distance really quickly. However, the problem is that the distance given is highly suspect, because not only were they watching it on cameras in real time, but the effects of the nova were immediately visible and a dangerous threat to the Enterprise, indicating they were quite close to the star due to the lack of light lag.
"Show me an angel and I will paint you one." - Gustav Courbet

"Quetzalcoatl, plumed serpent of the Aztecs... you are a pussy." - Stephen Colbert

"Really, I'm jealous of how much smarter than me he is. I'm not an expert on anything and he's an expert on things he knows nothing about." - Me, concerning a bullshitter
AMX
Jedi Knight

Post by AMX »

ST & SCR: realspace FTL is a part of Star Trek. Whether it's possible IRL or not is completely irrelevant to this thread.
Batman wrote:Doesn't do beans about the delivered yield, though.
Care to elaborate?
General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Post by General Zod »

AMX wrote:ST & SCR: realspace FTL is a part of Star Trek. Whether it's possible IRL or not is completely irrelevant to this thread.
the books aren't canon, however. thus not acceptable evidence. from everything that's been shown on screen the enterprise 'wraps' subspace around it permitting FTL, via the warp field.
Care to elaborate?

a torpedo going at warp or otherwise is still only going to deliver 50% of its power in terms of damage. due to the simple fact that half the spherical explosion will be going away from the target.
"It's you Americans. There's something about nipples you hate. If this were Germany, we'd be romping around naked on the stage here."
AMX
Jedi Knight

Post by AMX »

Darth_Zod wrote:a torpedo going at warp or otherwise is still only going to deliver 50% of its power in terms of damage. due to the simple fact that half the spherical explosion will be going away from the target.
Yes, but at a speed not greater than the speed of light.
If the whole thing is moving FTL, the result is a movement towards the target (although only until the warp field finishes collapsing).

*tries to think of a useable analogy*

Say, you're throwing a stone out the back of a fast-moving car; maybe the stone is flying away from you at some twenty mph; but the car is moving more than a hundred mph in the other direction, so, to a not moving observer, the stone will be moving at about eighty mph in the same direction as the car.

Am I making myself unclear?
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

Darth_Zod wrote:
Care to elaborate?
a torpedo going at warp or otherwise is still only going to deliver 50% of its power in terms of damage. due to the simple fact that half the spherical explosion will be going away from the target.
I think what AMX is getting at is while half the explosion is heading away from the target at c, until the final collapse of the warp field the entirety of the explosion is still moving towards the target at multiples of c.
Problems:
1. The field will collapse the instant the explosion is triggered, what with the torpedo being disintegrated.
2. Even if it didn't, the energy would slow to c the moment it left the warp field of the torpedo (which I doubt is more than a few metres across)
3. Even if the explosion somehow maintained its FTL speed, only the part of it directly conforming to the target shillouette would impact it, the rest would pass harmlessly around it. The increase in energy delivered would be minuscule.
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
AMX
Jedi Knight

Post by AMX »

Batman wrote:I think what AMX is getting at is while half the explosion is heading away from the target at c, until the final collapse of the warp field the entirety of the explosion is still moving towards the target at multiples of c.
Exactly.
Problems:
1. The field will collapse the instant the explosion is triggered, what with the torpedo being disintegrated.
I dimly remember something about "warp bubbles" that remained intact on their own for considerable amounts of time ... but you're probably right.
2. Even if it didn't, the energy would slow to c the moment it left the warp field of the torpedo (which I doubt is more than a few metres across)
Point.
3. Even if the explosion somehow maintained its FTL speed, only the part of it directly conforming to the target shillouette would impact it, the rest would pass harmlessly around it. The increase in energy delivered would be minuscule.
Uh - yes, I think.

To summarize: The torpedo would have to move at incredibly high speed, so the energy doesn't have time to leave the warp field before hitting the target, and even then, the idea hinges on whether or not the warp field actually remains active after the explosion at all.
Right?
StarshipTitanic
Sith Marauder

Post by StarshipTitanic »

AMX wrote: To summarize: The torpedo would have to move at incredibly high speed, so the energy doesn't have time to leave the warp field before hitting the target, and even then, the idea hinges on whether or not the warp field actually remains active after the explosion at all.
Right?
Why not just fling warp cores at the enemy? It'll be cheaper than building warp torpedoes.
"Man's unfailing capacity to believe what he prefers to be true rather than what the evidence shows to be likely and possible has always astounded me...God has not been proven not to exist, therefore he must exist." -- Academician Prokhor Zakharov

"Hal grabs life by the balls and doesn't let you do that [to] hal."

"I hereby declare myself master of the known world."
Praxis
Sith Acolyte

Post by Praxis »

Batman wrote:
SCRawl wrote: Just a nitpick, but that can't be right. Nothing can move at the speed of light in real space, period -- that pesky special relativity again. If it moves at the speed of light or faster, and it has mass, it's in some other medium. Clearly, a torpedo has mass, and if it has some means of going FTL, that's great, but it can't do it in real space.
Too bad Trek ship under Warp do it all the time.
Trek ships fire torps at one another at Warp speed, therefore the torpedoes are able to maintain Warp speed, if not achieve it on their own. Therefore, torpedoes can very clearly move FTL.
Doesn't do beans about the delivered yield, though.
But that's at WARP, in a WARP FIELD, not in REAL SPACE. Read the post before you criticize.
Praxis
Sith Acolyte

Post by Praxis »

That would not apply in normal space battles, only if the firing ship was at warp.

However, one thought that struck me- we know that torps have nav shields. What if those shields actually direct the energy forward? Just a random thought.
Batman
Emperor's Hand

Post by Batman »

StarshipTitanic wrote:
AMX wrote: To summarize: The torpedo would have to move at incredibly high speed, so the energy doesn't have time to leave the warp field before hitting the target, and even then, the idea hinges on whether or not the warp field actually remains active after the explosion at all.
Right?
Why not just fling warp cores at the enemy? It'll be cheaper than building warp torpedoes.
@AMX:Right.
@StarshipTitanic: How, pray tell, do you accellerate the Warp core to Warp speed?
dragon
Sith Marauder

Post by dragon »

As for getting more than 50% could they attempt to do what they do in The Shiva Option when making a shaped AMX.
Batman
Emperor's Hand

Post by Batman »

dragon wrote:As for getting more than 50% could they attempt to do what they do in The Shiva Option when making a shaped AMX.
A M/AM shaped charge? This I gotta see.
dragon
Sith Marauder

Post by dragon »

I have the book on digital I think I'll try to find the passage. It had to do with wraping the device in a high strength containment field. As soon as I find it Ill post.
dragon
Sith Marauder

Post by dragon »

Ok I seem to have misplaced my book and the digital copy is corrupt. Anyways what they did is wrap the weaponin a high strength mag field that decayed on one side before the other did. But do to the energy of the explosion the second side lasted on a few nanosecs longer than the other side.
Praxis
Sith Acolyte

Post by Praxis »

Batman wrote:
StarshipTitanic wrote:
Right?
@AMX:Right.
@StarshipTitanic: How, pray tell, do you accellerate the Warp core to Warp speed?
Attach a warp drive to it?
Batman
Emperor's Hand

Post by Batman »

Praxis wrote:
Which however sort of nixes the cheapness aspect...

EDITed to fix quoting tags.Grr..
Praxis
Sith Acolyte

Post by Praxis »

Batman wrote:
Praxis wrote:
Which however sort of nixes the cheapness aspect...

EDITed to fix quoting tags.Grr..
Yeah but it should take out the enemy ship in one shot :) Alot cheaper than repairing or replacing your ship after a battle. Considering the impact of the explosion in Generations, you could probably take out a sizable chunk of a fleet with that. Imagine that they launched their warp cores at the Dominion fleet in "Sacrifice of Angels"...they would have sent LOADS of Jem'Hadar fighters flying, and torn apart any ship it directly impacted.
Sarevok
The Fearless One

Post by Sarevok »

Torpedoes can move at FTL speed as seen in warp speed combat where torpedoes have been fired.

However torpedoes dont really move at FTL. They warp space to move at FTL. The moment the warp field collapses the light is going to speed away in the opposite directon without hitting the target.
I have to tell you something everything I wrote above is a lie.
AMX
Jedi Knight

Post by AMX »

The Shadow wrote:Torpedoes can move at FTL speed as seen in warp speed combat where torpedoes have been fired.

However torpedoes dont really move at FTL. They warp space to move at FTL. The moment the warp field collapses the light is going to speed away in the opposite directon without hitting the target.
Thank you for your contribution. I think we know that by now.

Let me restate my point, just in case:
"If the FTL speed is maintained after the torpedo explodes, even the light headed away from the target will be carried towards it (and possibly hit it) by the not yet completely collapsed warp field."

Do you happen to know how long it takes a warp field to collapse after the drive has been vaporized?