Steampunk Lightsaber *now complete, not for 56k*

AMP: sci-fi art, regular art, pictures, photos, comics, music, etc.

Moderator: Beowulf

AK_Jedi
Padawan Learner

Post by AK_Jedi »

considering that whatever goes over the crystal is going to make up a lot of the structural support between the handel and the emitter, The lantern looks a little flimsy. My vote is for the cooling jacket.
Why does he keep looking at you in the same way a starving man looks at a packet of peanuts?
It's because he can't wait to get the wrapper off and taste the salty goodness! --Kryten, Red Dwarf

Understanding is a very loaded word. --Dr. Paul
CaptainChewbacca
Browncoat Wookiee

Post by CaptainChewbacca »

AK_Jedi wrote:considering that whatever goes over the crystal is going to make up a lot of the structural support between the handel and the emitter, The lantern looks a little flimsy. My vote is for the cooling jacket.
Well, the lantern is going to be piping and lexan, which is a bullet-proof glass, so it might look a bit tough. At any rate, I asked my brother which he preferred (he thinks I'm buying it for myself) and he likes the lantern-style. I guess its a gentleman's saber ;)
Stuart: The only problem is, I'm losing track of which universe I'm in.
You kinda look like Jesus. With a lightsaber.- Peregrin Toker
ImageImage
Spanky The Dolphin
Mammy Two-Shoes

Post by Spanky The Dolphin »

Well then it's owned by a stupid gentleman, because the lantern really looks terrible and idiotic. The barrel jacket looked a thousand times better, and is better from a functional design perspective.

Seriously, ditch the lantern and go back with the gun barrel jacket.
I believe in a sign of Zeta.

[BOTM|WG|JL|Mecha Maniacs|Pax Cybertronia|Veteran of the Psychic Wars|Eva Expert]

"And besides, who cares if a monster destroys Australia?"
CaptainChewbacca
Browncoat Wookiee

Spanky The Dolphin wrote:Well then it's owned by a stupid gentleman, because the lantern really looks terrible and idiotic. The barrel jacket looked a thousand times better, and is better from a functional design perspective.

Seriously, ditch the lantern and go back with the gun barrel jacket.
I think the jacket looks better, but then you can't see any of the cool stuff inside, unless he can do a really wide mesh on the jacket.

edit: Think it mgiht look ok with some mesh "panes" in the lantern? like alternating every other, I mean.
ImageImage
ThatGuyFromThatPlace
Jedi Knight

Post by ThatGuyFromThatPlace »

I like the lantern look, but you could add an old style lantern shade to it for a little more solidity
[img=right]http://www.geocities.com/jamealbeluvien/revolution.jpg[/img]"Nothing here is what it seems. You are not the plucky hero, the Alliance is not an evil empire, and this is not the grand arena."
- The Operative, Serenity
"Everything they've ever "known" has been proven to be wrong. A thousand years ago everybody knew as a fact, that the earth was the center of the universe. Five hundred years ago, they knew it was flat. Fifteen minutes ago, you knew we humans were alone on it. Imagine what you'll know tomorrow."
-Agent Kay, Men In Black
CaptainChewbacca
Browncoat Wookiee

ThatGuyFromThatPlace wrote:I like the lantern look, but you could add an old style lantern shade to it for a little more solidity
Can you find a picture? I'm afraid I don't know what an "old-style shade" would look like.
ImageImage
Spanky The Dolphin
Mammy Two-Shoes

CaptainChewbacca wrote:edit: Think it mgiht look ok with some mesh "panes" in the lantern? like alternating every other, I mean.
No, that's just as bad and misses the point.

Seriously, go back to the jacket. I don't think it matters that you can't see the crystal: hell, you can't for a regular lightsabre, anyway. Going with the jacket makes it look less delicate, and it would give some interesting detail, since you'd only be able to partially see what's inside.

I don't like any sort of lantern approach whatsoever.

[BOTM|WG|JL|Mecha Maniacs|Pax Cybertronia|Veteran of the Psychic Wars|Eva Expert]

Oni Koneko Damien
Sith Marauder

Post by Oni Koneko Damien »

The problem I see with the lantern is that it's going to get covered in fingerprints. Otherwise, I think it's much cooler, aesthetically. Practically, though, it just doesn't look right, because it's part of the handle, glass just doesn't seem right on the part that's going to be held.
Gaian Paradigm: Because not all fantasy has to be childish crap.
Ephemeral Pie: Because not all role-playing has to be shallow.
My art: Because not all DA users are talentless emo twits.
"Phant, quit abusing the He-Wench before he turns you into a caged bitch at a Ren Fair and lets the tourists toss half munched turkey legs at your backside." -Mr. Coffee
salm
Rabid Monkey

Post by salm »

Spanky´s right. The jacket was a lot cooler than the lantern.
CaptainChewbacca
Browncoat Wookiee

Oni Koneko Damien wrote:The problem I see with the lantern is that it's going to get covered in fingerprints. Otherwise, I think it's much cooler, aesthetically. Practically, though, it just doesn't look right, because it's part of the handle, glass just doesn't seem right on the part that's going to be held.
The "grip" part of the handle is the lower part around the cylinders made of wood-and-leather rings. The middle part (jacket or lantern) isn't held. You wouldn't want to hold onto a cooling jacket, anyway.
ImageImage
Spanky The Dolphin
Mammy Two-Shoes

That would only be the case if it was held one-handed. When gripped two-handed, one hand would go over the crystal chamber.

And lightsabres get held two-handed more or less all the time.

Stick with the jacket.

CaptainChewbacca
Browncoat Wookiee

Spanky The Dolphin wrote:That would only be the case if it was held one-handed. When gripped two-handed, one hand would go over the crystal chamber.

And lightsabres get held two-handed more or less all the time.

Stick with the jacket.
I'm thinking two-handed, but the grip is long enough that either way the hands won't be on the jacket. The saber is something like 20 inches long.
ImageImage
Spanky The Dolphin
Mammy Two-Shoes

If it's 20" long, then from the diagram it looks to be uncomfortably thick, like holding the wrong end of a baseball bat.

Twenty inches is also abnormally long. From a design and comfort point, it would work better if it was the more standard length of 11-13" long and of a standard width, which would also mean that the second hand would go over the crystal chamber.

And stick with the jacket. Also, move the crystal down so it's in the center of the glass bulb: it's badly ballanced the way it is now.

AK_Jedi
Padawan Learner

Post by AK_Jedi »

The jacket does have holes in it, so its not like you can't see the inner workings at all. I think it would be cooler if you had to look down into it to see the detail of the crystal and everything, rather than putting it on display with the lantern.

Also, the flimsiness element. If you're holding it below the lantern, that lantern area is going to have some pretty major torque on it in any dueling at all. A latern like that looks like it would just snap off.
Why does he keep looking at you in the same way a starving man looks at a packet of peanuts?
It's because he can't wait to get the wrapper off and taste the salty goodness! --Kryten, Red Dwarf

Understanding is a very loaded word. --Dr. Paul
CaptainChewbacca
Browncoat Wookiee

I asked him to make me 3 mockups to compare. There's the lantern, the original jacket with the newer controls and head, and a lantern-jacket combo which also looks kinda cool. You can't see the bulb in the jacket one, but its there. I talked to the guy, and he said that if he does lantern style, you'd definitely have a hand on the glass with a two-hand grip.

Last edited by CaptainChewbacca on 2006-11-03 01:11pm, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImage
Isolder74
Official SD.Net Ace of Cakes

Post by Isolder74 »

I think the lantern one looks best. Perhaps you could give it lighthouse syle prisms instead of flat glass to make it look more substantial.

Edit: or use Slots in the second version instead of holes for the metal shroud.
Hapan Battle Dragons Rule!
When you want peace prepare for war! --Confusious
That was disapointing ..Should we show this Federation how to build a ship so we may have worthy foes? Typhonis 1
The Prince of The Writer's Guild|HAB Spacewolf Tank General| God Bless America!
ThatGuyFromThatPlace
Jedi Knight

Post by ThatGuyFromThatPlace »

CaptainChewbacca wrote:
ThatGuyFromThatPlace wrote:I like the lantern look, but you could add an old style lantern shade to it for a little more solidity
Can you find a picture? I'm afraid I don't know what an "old-style shade" would look like.
bleagh. Google has failed me.
Its basically a solid wraparound split into two (or more) parts that can be slid around revealing only a part of the lamp at a time.
You could make one out of mesh too.
[img=right]http://www.geocities.com/jamealbeluvien/revolution.jpg[/img]"Nothing here is what it seems. You are not the plucky hero, the Alliance is not an evil empire, and this is not the grand arena."
- The Operative, Serenity
"Everything they've ever "known" has been proven to be wrong. A thousand years ago everybody knew as a fact, that the earth was the center of the universe. Five hundred years ago, they knew it was flat. Fifteen minutes ago, you knew we humans were alone on it. Imagine what you'll know tomorrow."
-Agent Kay, Men In Black
Crossroads Inc.
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crossroads Inc. »

I am very much loving #2 right now. The combination of the latern style with the more robust looking mesh screen makes for an all around nifty SteamSabre.
The Silence and I
Jedi Council Member

Post by The Silence and I »

I prefer the second one, the one with the jacket. The first is definately sweet, but if I have to choose it'll be the more robust one.

The combination of metal and glass is just more appealing. Whatever you decide on, they are all extremely awesome--I don't think I can type words that quite express how awesome those look :D
"Do not worry, I have prepared something for just such an emergency."

"You're prepared for a giant monster made entirely of nulls stomping around Mainframe?!"

"That is correct!"

"How do you plan for that?"

"Uh... lucky guess?"
salm
Rabid Monkey

Post by salm »

The middle one is the best.
HSRTG
Jedi Knight

Post by HSRTG »

Go for the middle one. Looks better.
Kill one man, you're a murderer. Kill a million, a king. Kill them all, a god. - Anonymous
Spanky The Dolphin
Mammy Two-Shoes

The one in the middle.

Vanas
Jedi Council Member

Post by Vanas »

I'm going to have to n+1th the second one. The whole lantern thing just looks nicer than the no cover or just mesh ones.
According to wikipedia, "the Mohorovičić discontinuity is the boundary between the Earth's crust and the mantle."
According to Starbound, it's a problem solvable with enough combat drugs to turn you into the Incredible Hulk.
salm
Rabid Monkey

Post by salm »

Instead of the one golden ring going around the jacket in the center you could make two rings which are not centerd. By doing that the crystal would be more visible.
CaptainChewbacca
Browncoat Wookiee

Thanks for all your suggestions and advice. I've decided to go with design #2, and see if he can make one or two of the mesh screens open to reveal a glass pane behind it.
ImageImage