Shivers Up Your Spine

AMP: sci-fi art, regular art, pictures, photos, comics, music, etc.

Moderator: Beowulf

Fleet Admiral JD
Jedi Master

Shivers Up Your Spine

Post by Fleet Admiral JD »

I know that there are a couple of songs that, no matter how many times I hear them, send a shiver up my spine or give me the chills, whether it be from the shear poignency of the lyrics, the music itself, or the way the music is played. For example:

On my Own from Les Miserables, the big crecendo about two-thirds of the way through the song is just so well done.

The Deep Space Nine theme song, at certain points. Simply an incredible piece of music.

What songs give you the chills? And why?
Parrothead | CINC HABNAV | Black Mage In Training (Invited by Lady T)

The Acta Diurna: My blog on politics, history, theatre tech, music, and more!
Noble Ire
The Arbiter

Post by Noble Ire »

The First Contact Suite. Absolutely the best piece of ST music ever composed.

The Throne Room, both the ANH and ROTS version. Simply magnificent.
The Rift
Stanislav Petrov- The man who saved the world
Hugh Thompson Jr.- A True American Hero
"In the unlikely story that is America, there has never been anything false about hope." - President Barack Obama
"May fortune favor you, for your goals are the goals of the world." - Ancient Chall valediction
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

Pachelbel's Cannon in D - No, I don't know why, but it does. Top of the list, never get tired of it.

Pink Floyd's Learning to Fly - because it captures the feeling of falling in love with the sky, at least for me.

Alan Jackson's Where Were You When the World Stopped Turning? - because it brings back powerful memories of September 11, 2001. The lyrics are kind of hokey in spots, but the feelings it stirs up aren't.

Jim Croce's Time in a Bottle - because the longer I live and the more friends and loved ones I lose to death, the more true the lyrics are.

Harry Chapin Cat's in the Cradle - same reason.

Queen Fat Bottomed Girls - just the sheer energy of it. Also, appreciation of girl's with big asses, which is most of us, as opposed to the current popularity of "sticks".

The Monkee's Sweet Young Thing - I dunno, but I haven't been able to get it out of my head for the last 35 years or so. Makes me feel young again, for some reason. I don't expect anyone else to agree.

Johnny Cash Thing Called Love - well, Cash's voice tends to do things for me (I like deep male voices), but the lyrics in this case.

Paul Simon The Boy in the Bubble - because we do live in an age of miracles and wonder! And that "bomb in the baby carrigage was wired to radio" line is probably more relevant today than when he wrote it.

Simon and Garfunkel's Bridge Over Troubled Water - but not the version by Johnny Cash, give me the original. Why? Lush arrangement, the "I'll help you when disaster strikes" lyrics.

Beatles Let It Be - I see a pattern here with the "help me out when I'm in trouble" lyrics. :::shrug:::

Big & Rich Holy Water - arrangement, but also lyrics and sentiment.

Relativity's Gathering Pace - music and lyric combination. Again, not one I expect everyone else to agree on.

Og knows who did these first, but also Amazing Grace, I'll Fly Away, and All My Trials - lyrics, lyrics, lyrics

Obviously, I have easily evoked goose bumps. That's off the top of my head. Don't know if I'll bother to add any more even if I think of them.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
Surlethe
HATES GRADING

Post by Surlethe »

The climax of the second movement of the Eroica.
A Government founded upon justice, and recognizing the equal rights of all men; claiming higher authority for existence, or sanction for its laws, that nature, reason, and the regularly ascertained will of the people; steadily refusing to put its sword and purse in the service of any religious creed or family is a standing offense to most of the Governments of the world, and to some narrow and bigoted people among ourselves.
F. Douglass
Bounty
Emperor's Hand

Post by Bounty »

The First Contact opening theme.

The music from Chicken Run's plane assembly scene, right after Mr Tweedy is captured.

The opening theme of Space Precinct, with Brogan's monologue ("The name's Brogan, Lieutenant Brogan. For twenty years I was with the NYPD. Now - well let's just say I've transferred to another precinct")

March of the Thunderbirds :)

Hooverphonic's Out Of Sight
Lord Pounder
Pretty Hate Machine

Post by Lord Pounder »

There are a few for me.

Massive Attack - Unfinished Sympathy
The Verve - Bitter Sweet Symphony
U2 - With Or Without You
The Eagles - Hotel California
Foo Fighers - Everlong (the accoustic version)
RIP Yosemite Bear
Gone, Never Forgotten
Alex Moon
Rabid Monkey

Post by Alex Moon »

10,000 Miles sung by Mary Chapin Carpenter
The Moon and St. Christopher
House at Pooh Corner
Sweet Baby James

The first one is simply hauntingly beautiful. The latter three are songs that my mother used to sing when I was a child.
Warwolves | VRWC | BotM | Writer's Guild | Pie loves Rei
Fleet Admiral JD
Jedi Master

Post by Fleet Admiral JD »

Lord Pounder wrote: The Eagles - Hotel California
Forgot about that one, and Tequila Sunrise too.
Parrothead | CINC HABNAV | Black Mage In Training (Invited by Lady T)

The Acta Diurna: My blog on politics, history, theatre tech, music, and more!
Tokaji Kyoden
Padawan Learner

Post by Tokaji Kyoden »

Goo Goo Dolls - Iris
Follow - Incubus(Halo 2 OST)
C:\DOS
C:\DOS\RUN
RUN\DOS\RUN
Faabio
Padawan Learner

Post by Faabio »

Homeworld soundtrack: Adagio for strings. cant descripe it really well but it is just right for the scene it plays on
Oni Koneko Damien
Sith Marauder

Post by Oni Koneko Damien »

Vast - Land of Shame
VNV Nation - Lightwave
Led Zeppelin - Ten Years Gone

*shivers*
Gaian Paradigm: Because not all fantasy has to be childish crap.
Ephemeral Pie: Because not all role-playing has to be shallow.
My art: Because not all DA users are talentless emo twits.
"Phant, quit abusing the He-Wench before he turns you into a caged bitch at a Ren Fair and lets the tourists toss half munched turkey legs at your backside." -Mr. Coffee
Flash
Padawan Learner

Post by Flash »

Johnny Mandel, Suicide Is Painless. While it is better known as the theme from MASH, the lyrics in the original version get me everytime.

Simon and Garfunkel, The Sounds of Silence. In todays world of leet speak and horribly abbreiviated text messages, a song about the inability of people to actually communicate with each other is more relevant than ever.

Led Zeppelin, The Immigrant Song. Not something I can really explain, but I find this song to be incredibly powerful. Everything about it just comes together and makes a great, powerful song.

They're the first three that come to mind for me.
LaCroix
Sith Acolyte

Post by LaCroix »

Carmina Burana... Ephic masterpiece

and nearly all from The conan soundtracs.. Basil knows how to play with human emotions
A minute's thought suggests that the very idea of this is stupid. A more detailed examination raises the possibility that it might be an answer to the question "how could the Germans win the war after the US gets involved?" - Captain Seafort, in a thread proposing a 1942 'D-Day' in Quiberon Bay

I do archery skeet. With a Trebuchet.
General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Post by General Zod »

D-Tecnolife by Uverworld. I can't stop listening to it due to its pure badassness.

DreamTheater - Scenes from a Memory, the entire album.

The opening theme song from the original Batman movie by Danny Elfman. Nobody before or since has managed to capture the imagery just so perfectly.
"It's you Americans. There's something about nipples you hate. If this were Germany, we'd be romping around naked on the stage here."
Zaia
Inamorata

Post by Zaia »

The Lacrimosa from Mozart's 'Requiem'
'Adagio for Strings' by Samuel Barber
"On the infrequent occasions when I have been called upon in a formal place to play the bongo drums, the introducer never seems to find it necessary to mention that I also do theoretical physics." -Richard Feynman
Surlethe
HATES GRADING

Post by Surlethe »

Zaia wrote:'Adagio for Strings' by Samuel Barber
We played that in high school orchestra, so, while it's beautiful, it also calls to mind the ... performance -- if you want to call it that -- and that memory sort of kills the chill factor.
A Government founded upon justice, and recognizing the equal rights of all men; claiming higher authority for existence, or sanction for its laws, that nature, reason, and the regularly ascertained will of the people; steadily refusing to put its sword and purse in the service of any religious creed or family is a standing offense to most of the Governments of the world, and to some narrow and bigoted people among ourselves.
F. Douglass
Seggybop
Jedi Council Member

Post by Seggybop »

Battle on the Ice by Prokofiev
quality speakers required.
my heart is a shell of depleted uranium
Keevan_Colton
Emperor's Hand
Location: In the Land of Logic and Reason, two doors down from Lilliput and across the road from Atlantis...

Post by Keevan_Colton »

Unforgiven - Apocalyptica

The song is one of my favourites in its original form, but their version just does it for the shivers up the spine thing. There's something about string stuff that can go right for my spine...

Revenge of the Sugar Plum Fairy - Trans Siberian Orchestra

For similar reasons this one is really good for it too.

Fiddler on the Green - Demons and Wizards

This song is just beatiful, the work on the Demons and Wizards stuff in general is just great, right now I'm on a bit of a D&W kick with my nice shiney copy of the new album (which I actually bought, they're that damn good ;)) "Touched by the Crimson King", which I'm still getting shivers off of right now...but I'm not including because it's early days yet to see if that reaction lasts.
"Prodesse Non Nocere."
"It's all about popularity really, if your invisible friend that tells you to invade places is called Napoleon, you're a loony, if he's called Jesus then you're the president."
"I'd drive more people insane, but I'd have to double back and pick them up first..."
"All it takes for bullshit to thrive is for rational men to do nothing." - Kevin Farrell, B.A. Journalism.
BOTM - EBC - Horseman - G&C - Vampire
The Aliens
Keeper of the Lore
Location: hovering high up above, making home movies for the folks back home.

Post by The Aliens »

Glosoli by Sigur Ros, and Radiohead's Pyramid Song are two mass-market songs that do it for me, as well as One Day More from Les Miserables- something to do with the massive layering of sound. When you get six or seven layers of instruments or voices, it takes on a whole new dimension that's so much mroe than the sum of its parts.

EDIT: Also, Life Support from Rent. Terrific bloody song.
| Lorekeeper | EBC |
| SEGNOR | Knights |

..French....................Music..................
|::::::::|::::::::|::::::::|::::::::|
.................Comics...................Fiction..
Braedley
Jedi Council Member

Post by Braedley »

Oh Canada, when it's not reverbarating like hell through a sports arena
Almost anything by an opera major I know (god she has an awesome voice)
Surprisingly enough, a couple of christmas hymms (Once in Roay David's City and See Amid the Winters Snow come to mind). Really just because I had to just belt them out back in my church choir days
I'm sure more will come to mind
My brother and sister-in-law: "Do you know where milk comes from?"
My niece: "Yeah, from the fridge!"
Manus Celer Dei
Jedi Master

Post by Manus Celer Dei »

1916 by Motorhead. Incredibly touching song.
"We will build cities in a day!"
"Man would cower at the sight!"
"We will build towers to the heavens!"
"Man was not built for such a height!"
"We will be heroes!"
"We will BUILD heroes!"
[/size][/i]
Vicious
Jedi Knight

Post by Vicious »

Hotel California is forever enshrined as the most moving song I have ever heard. Not because of the lyrics, or the instrumentation, or even the band, but because of the one time I heard it being played live. I was standing in the open-air lobby of my hotel right on Waikiki Beach on Oahu, Hawaii.

I was heading down to get a pizza for dinner when I heard the first notes of Hotel California echoing out of the lounge right off the main lobby. I've always liked the song immensely, so I beelined for the lounge. I stopped and stood there, watching two guys with guitars turn out the most haunting rendition of Hotel California I have ever heard. That mood was only enhanced by the sound of the surf gently rolling in, the smell and feel of the seabreeze blowing in my hair and a pure, ecstatic sensation that time had simply stopped and nothing except those sensations and that song were real. Then it was over, and I walked away with the most blissful feeling. That moment has been forever etched into my memory. I may forget everything else about that trip, but I will always remember that moment.
MFS Angry Wookiee - PRFYNAFBTFC

"We are all atheists about most of the gods that societies have ever believed in. Some of us just go one god further." -Richard Dawkins
Siege
Sith Marauder

Post by Siege »

New York Minute by Don Henley. I'd just watched 9/11 go down live on CNN, watched the whole whazoo like it was some weird Hollywood production, totally detached in WTF-mode... Switched on the radio and *blam*. My world came crashing down there for six minutes and thirty-six seconds.
SDN World 2: The North Frequesuan Trust
SDN World 3: The Sultanate of Egypt
SDN World 4: The United Solarian Sovereignty
SDN World 5: San Dorado
There'll be a bodycount, we're gonna watch it rise
The folks at CNN, they won't believe their eyes
President Sharky
Jedi Knight

Post by President Sharky »

The final Prestissimo from Beethoven's 9th Symphony. My best memory of it was seeing it performed live for the first time. I remember as the chorus finished singing its last notes and the orchestra began its final rush to the end, my heartbeat seemed to accelerate with the music, and by the end I felt as pumped with joy as the music was.

The C major section in the Eroica's Marcia Funebre has a similar uplifting effect.
Pick
Sith Marauder

Post by Pick »

God You Made The World All Wrong - Notre Dame de Paris
Flood of Tears - Diary of Dreams
The Last Unicorn - America (I grew up listening to this song from this movie constantly.)
"The rest of the poem plays upon that pun. On the contrary, says Catullus, although my verses are soft (molliculi ac parum pudici in line 8, reversing the play on words), they can arouse even limp old men. Should Furius and Aurelius have any remaining doubts about Catullus' virility, he offers to fuck them anally and orally to prove otherwise." - Catullus 16, Wikipedia