Russian Stealth: MiG 37 Ferret and Sukhoi S-37 Berkut

AMP: sci-fi art, regular art, pictures, photos, comics, music, etc.

Moderator: Beowulf

Einhander Sn0m4n
Insane Railgunner
Location: Louisiana... or Dagobah. You know, where Yoda lives.

Russian Stealth: MiG 37 Ferret and Sukhoi S-37 Berkut

Post by Einhander Sn0m4n »

MiG 37 Ferret (purely hypothetical but sweet nonetheless!)
Taken from http://www.military.cz/russia/air/mig/Mig_37/mig_37.htm

Sukhoi S-37 Berkut
Taken from http://www.military.cz/russia/air/suchoj/s_32/s_32.htm

Note: Russian Translator needed. Otherwise, SWEET Fighters!
Image Image
Howedar
Emperor's Thumb

Post by Howedar »

I used to have that MiG-37 model.
Howedar is no longer here. Need to talk to him? Talk to Pick.
The Dark
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Dark »

Since when is the Golden Eagle stealth (Berkut for those who insist on using the non-translated name)? Unless they've actually got that active stealth plasma system working, the FSW design should ruin any chance it has of being stealthy.
Stanley Hauerwas wrote:[W]hy is it that no one is angry at the inequality of income in this country? I mean, the inequality of income is unbelievable. Unbelievable. Why isn’t that ever an issue of politics? Because you don’t live in a democracy. You live in a plutocracy. Money rules.
BattleTech for SilCore
Kuja
The Dark Messenger

Post by Kuja »

Interesting design.
JADAFETWA
Zaku-chan
Rabid Monkey

Post by Zaku-chan »

It's pretty flat; probably presents a very small target profile.
"The arrow can only be fired once...we'll see how it lands." -Admiral Delaz
Hail Zeon!
Image = Newtype Monkey, BotM
Crayz9000
Sith Apprentice

Post by Crayz9000 »

Howedar wrote:I used to have that MiG-37 model.
IIRC, they came up with the concept for the MiG-37 in response to the Lockheed YF-22. They just don't have the resources to actually build it.
A Tribute to Stupidity: The Robert Scott Anderson Archive (currently offline)
John Hansen - Slightly Insane Bounty Hunter - ASVS Vets' Assoc. Class of 2000
HAB Cryptanalyst | WG - Intergalactic Alliance and Spoof Author | BotM | Cybertron | SCEF
The Dark
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Dark »

Crayz9000 wrote:
Howedar wrote:I used to have that MiG-37 model.
IIRC, they came up with the concept for the MiG-37 in response to the Lockheed YF-22. They just don't have the resources to actually build it.
Is that what used to be the MiG 1.3 project? If so, it was designed as a counter to the YF-22 (even had the nickname "Raptor Killer"). Supposedly slightly faster and more maneuverable, but without quite as much stealth.
Stanley Hauerwas wrote:[W]hy is it that no one is angry at the inequality of income in this country? I mean, the inequality of income is unbelievable. Unbelievable. Why isn’t that ever an issue of politics? Because you don’t live in a democracy. You live in a plutocracy. Money rules.
BattleTech for SilCore
Einhander Sn0m4n
Insane Railgunner
Location: Louisiana... or Dagobah. You know, where Yoda lives.

Post by Einhander Sn0m4n »

The Dark wrote:Since when is the Golden Eagle stealth (Berkut for those who insist on using the non-translated name)? Unless they've actually got that active stealth plasma system working, the FSW design should ruin any chance it has of being stealthy.
Just what I was thinking... it looks like a Su-27 and an X29's love child (in other words a SWEET Fighter!), not anything particularly stealthy at all. I still wanna drive one.[/img]
Image Image
Raptor 597
Sith Devotee

Post by Raptor 597 »

Interesting aerodynamics, I read somewhere, maybe in Jane's a few ears ago backward wings flew better.
Formerly the artist known as Captain Lennox

"To myself I am only a child playing on the beach, while vast oceans of truth lie undiscovered before me." - Sir Isaac Newton
Crayz9000
Sith Apprentice

Post by Crayz9000 »

Captain Lennox wrote:Interesting aerodynamics, I read somewhere, maybe in Jane's a few ears ago backward wings flew better.
Delta wings are good for speed, because of their aerodynamic profile. Forward-swept wings give excellent maneuverability, but sacrifice top speed. Most fighters, like the F-15, are kind of a tradeoff between maneuverability and speed.
A Tribute to Stupidity: The Robert Scott Anderson Archive (currently offline)
John Hansen - Slightly Insane Bounty Hunter - ASVS Vets' Assoc. Class of 2000
HAB Cryptanalyst | WG - Intergalactic Alliance and Spoof Author | BotM | Cybertron | SCEF
The Dark
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Dark »

Crayz9000 wrote:
Captain Lennox wrote:Interesting aerodynamics, I read somewhere, maybe in Jane's a few ears ago backward wings flew better.
Delta wings are good for speed, because of their aerodynamic profile. Forward-swept wings give excellent maneuverability, but sacrifice top speed. Most fighters, like the F-15, are kind of a tradeoff between maneuverability and speed.
IIRC, FSW designs are more efficient up to right around Mach 1, and then normal wings and delta designs become superior. the FSW gives very high maneuverability, but it requires expensive composites to prevent the wing from warping backwards and tearing off.
BattleTech for SilCore