True songs for when the end is imminent?

AMP: sci-fi art, regular art, pictures, photos, comics, music, etc.

Moderator: Beowulf

Sharpshooter
Jedi Master

True songs for when the end is imminent?

Post by Sharpshooter »

Earlier on Monday, I was taking a shower to get ready for a night out for the Bisons game later that night, and whilst I was scrubbing up, a set of much-cherished songs from Romancing SaGa III came to mind, and thus were whistled for quite some time during and after the clensing. While I was going through that track which plays during the game's final battle, however, a thought came to my mind - while I had played many a game over the years and had faced many a final boss, no track struck me as being the end-all as this one in particular. While many tracks bear within them the traits that signify them as being markers of an approaching end - Final Fantasy VII's One-Winged Angel, Dance of Illusions of the Castlevania line, and Wicked Pleasure of Ys V: Sand City of Kefin, to name but a few - none seemed to bear so heavily this sensation of dread and of woe, this premonition of absolute destruction, as did this song.

I must wonder, thus - what songs truely signal to the player, the viewer, that the end is nigh, carrying with it the fear and desolation one would only experience as though this ficticious fate were a very corporal and aproaching thing?
This has been another blunder by you friendly local idiot.
Joe
Space Cowboy

Post by Joe »

The Lavos music from Chrono Trigger.

BoTM / JL / MM / HAB / VRWC / Horseman

I'm studying for the CPA exam. Have a nice summer, and if you're down just sit back and realize that Joe is off somewhere, doing much worse than you are.
Darth Garden Gnome
Official SD.Net Lawn Ornament

Post by Darth Garden Gnome »

Duh. REM's "It's The End Of The World As We Know It"

Though One-Winged Angel will get the runners up spot.
Leader of the Secret Gnome Revolution
DPDarkPrimus
Emperor's Hand

Post by DPDarkPrimus »

Even though the game does not end in total destruction, there is a destruction, of sorts, one which hits you right in the gut. That's why I nominate "Maybe", from Fallout.
Mayabird is my girlfriend
Justice League:BotM:MM:SDnet City Watch:Cybertron's Finest
"Well then, science is bullshit. "
-revprez, with yet another brilliant rebuttal.
felineki
Infantile Brat

Post by felineki »

Joe wrote:The Lavos music from Chrono Trigger.
YES! That was one of my favorite tracks from that game. Few songs I've heard can compare to the atmosphere it creates.
I'm a trolling moron and my E-mail is mbiddinger@mchsi.com
Cal Wright
American Warlord

Post by Cal Wright »

Bowser's theme from Super Mario 3.

Were you born with out a sense of humor or did you lose it in a tragic whoppy cushion accident? -Stormbringer

"We are well and truly forked." -Mace Windu Shatterpoint

"Either way KJA is now Dune's problem. Why can't he stop tormenting me and start writting fucking Star Trek books." -Lord Pounder

The Dark Guard Fleet

Post 1500 acheived on Thu Jan 23, 2003 at 2:48 am
Pick
Sith Marauder

Post by Pick »

I don't have the Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust music on my computer at the moment, but some of that music's damn near perfect.
"The rest of the poem plays upon that pun. On the contrary, says Catullus, although my verses are soft (molliculi ac parum pudici in line 8, reversing the play on words), they can arouse even limp old men. Should Furius and Aurelius have any remaining doubts about Catullus' virility, he offers to fuck them anally and orally to prove otherwise." - Catullus 16, Wikipedia
Guy N. Cognito
Padawan Learner

Post by Guy N. Cognito »

Sephiroth's music from FF7. That pretty much said this is the final fight to me.
"Though there are only 5 colours, in combination, they can create more hues then can ever be seen" Sun Tzu, The Art of War
The Grim Squeaker
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Grim Squeaker »

The final countdown.
One winged angel, "Mjolnir theme- rock remix" from Halo 2.
Photography
Genius is always allowed some leeway, once the hammer has been pried from its hands and the blood has been cleaned up.
To improve is to change; to be perfect is to change often.
Zero
Jedi Council Member
Location: Trying to find the divide between real memories and false ones.

Post by Zero »

I'll second that. Or third it, as the case is. That music gave a sense that whoever won, this was the end. And the game does actually have an ending designed for both a win and a loss, which is cool. That game will always be one of my all time favorites...
So long, and thanks for all the fish
Singular Quartet
Sith Marauder

Post by Singular Quartet »

Dancing Mad from FFVI
I nominate alot of Silent Hill's Music for just the "You're gonna die at any fucking minute, bitch" quality to it.

I can't really think of anything else, at the moment.
Daltonator
Reclusive Wanker

Post by Daltonator »

felineki wrote:
YES! That was one of my favorite tracks from that game. Few songs I've heard can compare to the atmosphere it creates.
Especially the alternate one, where it drops off into that soft piano. You truly get a sense of hopelessness.
JMS 4:22 | Image