Self-Portriats (my friends, this is a challenge)

AMP: sci-fi art, regular art, pictures, photos, comics, music, etc.

Moderator: Beowulf

bohemianfey
Jedi Master
Location: Love wench in SDnet's polygonal - sex based reltionship

Self-Portriats (my friends, this is a challenge)

Post by bohemianfey »

Think you could be artsy? Think there's nothing to it? Dislike stereotypes? Feel like pimping your camwhorey little self?
It's a widely speculated (and often accepted) fact that sci-fi fans are
  • A) Not photogenic.
    B) Not creative
    C) Not understanding of just what's aesthetically pleasing.
    D) All pimple faced, over weight, asthmatic, sinus infected, jack monkies.
We all know this just isn't the case (with some exceptions) and it's about time we cleared the matter up.

Things to consider while taking a self-portrait.
  • A) Lighting
    B) Composition
    C) Negative space
    D) Rule of thirds.
Can you prove them wrong?

I'll start us off.

| GALE | Society of Sisters: No Boys Allowed | Keepers of the Lore | Mecha Maniacs | The Rat Pack: Frank "Blue Eyes" Sinatra | Minister of Sexy | ACPATHNTDWATGODW FOREVER!! |
"I give into sin because I like to practice what I preach."
Gil Hamilton
Tipsy Space Birdie

Post by Gil Hamilton »

Well, there was the Adonis thread where all us guys took off their shirts and posed without them... of course, none of the pictures were nearly as high quality photography as your pictures.

I do have some friends who are decent photographers... I'll see what I can make for this thread.
"Show me an angel and I will paint you one." - Gustav Courbet

"Quetzalcoatl, plumed serpent of the Aztecs... you are a pussy." - Stephen Colbert

"Really, I'm jealous of how much smarter than me he is. I'm not an expert on anything and he's an expert on things he knows nothing about." - Me, concerning a bullshitter
The Cleric
BANNED

Post by The Cleric »

It's hard to photograph yourself, I've found out. I have a decent camera, but no one to take pictures. Oh well.
{} Thrawn wins. Any questions? {} Great Dolphin Conspiracy {} Proud member of the defunct SEGNOR {} Enjoy the rythmic hip thrusts {} In my past life I was either Vlad the Impaler or Katsushika Hokusai {}
Zaia
Inamorata

Post by Zaia »

You are quite lovely, my dear, as I'm sure you're already aware. And black and white photography makes the human body look like sculpture. I love it. Very nice work.
"On the infrequent occasions when I have been called upon in a formal place to play the bongo drums, the introducer never seems to find it necessary to mention that I also do theoretical physics." -Richard Feynman
YT300000
Sith'ari

Post by YT300000 »

Zaia wrote:You are quite lovely, my dear...
I Concur.
bohemianfey wrote:D) Rule of thirds.
What is that?
Name changes are for people who wear women's clothes. - Zuul

Wow. It took me a good minute to remember I didn't have testicles. -xBlackFlash

Are you sure this isn't like that time Michael Jackson stopped by your house so he could use the bathroom? - Superman
Chardok
GET THE FUCK OFF MY OBSTACLE!

Post by Chardok »

*drool* Eyes....the eyes....

you are.....*gulp* Gorgeous....
bohemianfey
Jedi Master

Post by bohemianfey »

bohemianfey wrote:D) Rule of thirds.
YT3000000 wrote:What is that?
The rule of thirds is quite simple, it ties in with composition and negative space. It's much easier to show than to explain.

Okay. See how only three of the dots are touching the focus of the picture? That's good. It give it character and makes it look more clean and prof. Try not to let the focus of your piece touch all four. Three at the most, which is where the name for the rule came from. Only on rare occasions does a picture break that rule and actually turn out looking all right.

The key to good photography is taking a shitload of pictures and picking one or two out a batch that are the best. It gets easier with time and practice.

Oh and one last thing. Borders add 10000000x class to a picture.
| GALE | Society of Sisters: No Boys Allowed | Keepers of the Lore | Mecha Maniacs | The Rat Pack: Frank "Blue Eyes" Sinatra | Minister of Sexy | ACPATHNTDWATGODW FOREVER!! |
Lagmonster
Master Control Program
Master Control Program

Post by Lagmonster »

You're a very good photographer, or at least you know your stuff. I don't know too many people whose artistic merits in photography go beyond a few clumsy self-shots with the aid of the bathroom mirror.

If you want to see the best that sci-fi guys can provide, consult the ADONIS threads at the bottom of the page/start of the next. It won't get much better than that 'round here.
Note: I'm semi-retired from the board, so if you need something, please be patient.
Lt. Dan
Jedi Knight

Post by Lt. Dan »

Chardok wrote:*drool* Eyes....the eyes....

[CSRadio]Roger that[/CSRadio]

Ya, very pretty indeed. I'll see what I can do, although no digital, so don't expect anything too quickly...
d(-_-)b
bohemianfey
Jedi Master

Post by bohemianfey »

w00t. I'm so curious to see how this all turns out.

And thanks for the lovely compliments, though, unfortunately they don't really count. Photography is a subjective thing, you can make anyone look beautiful if you know how.
sketerpot
Jedi Council Member

Post by sketerpot »

I don't have a camera handy, but I can doctor photos, after a fashion. Check out how creepy you can be made to look. :P

YOW! I am having FUN!
CrimsonRaine
Jedi Knight

Post by CrimsonRaine »

She might win the Aphrodite contest by default. I now, officially, have no chance. ;)

Raine
"And on that day, on the horizon, I shall be. And I shall point at them and say unto them HAHAHAHAHAH!!!!!" -- Ravenwing
RedImperator: "Yeah, and there were little Jesus-bits everywhere."
Crimsonraine: "Jesus-bits?!"

666th Post: Wed Aug 04, 2004 11:59 am
Col. Crackpot
That Obnoxious Guy

Post by Col. Crackpot »

well aren't you a fascinating addition to our merry band of loonies! :D
"This business will get out of control. It will get out of control and we’ll be lucky to live through it.” -Tom Clancy
bohemianfey
Jedi Master

Post by bohemianfey »

CrimsonRaine wrote:

She might win the Aphrodite contest by default. I now, officially, have no chance. ;)

Raine
Oh so not true. I saw a such a pretty girl on the Official photo thread. I bet you stand a lot better chance than you think, my pictures are all just suped up and enhanced.

Sketerpot! That's awesome. Try it with an invariation, nagative and then solarize. Demon Dei.
Gil Hamilton
Tipsy Space Birdie

Post by Gil Hamilton »

CrimsonRaine wrote:She might win the Aphrodite contest by default. I now, officially, have no chance. ;)

Raine
Speaking of which, I have to get off my ass and make the Aphrodite Headshot Thread, don't I?

"Quetzalcoatl, plumed serpent of the Aztecs... you are a pussy." - Stephen Colbert

"Really, I'm jealous of how much smarter than me he is. I'm not an expert on anything and he's an expert on things he knows nothing about." - Me, concerning a bullshitter
XaLEv
Lore Monkey

Post by XaLEv »

Those pictures wouldn't happen to be infrared, would they? Your avatar, especially, looks like it is.
「かかっ―」
The Cleric
BANNED

Post by The Cleric »

Looks more like grayscale and blur.
{} Thrawn wins. Any questions? {} Great Dolphin Conspiracy {} Proud member of the defunct SEGNOR {} Enjoy the rythmic hip thrusts {} In my past life I was either Vlad the Impaler or Katsushika Hokusai {}
Gil Hamilton
Tipsy Space Birdie

Post by Gil Hamilton »

Not even. They look like honest to god black and white photos made with someone who knows how to use a camera. You can see the grain of the film and everything (though that can be added with photoshop, it doesn't look like it here).

bohemianfey
Jedi Master

Post by bohemianfey »

Gil got it right, they're black and whites.
YT300000
Sith'ari

Post by YT300000 »

XaLEv wrote:Those pictures wouldn't happen to be infrared, would they? Your avatar, especially, looks like it is.
*notes the double entendre*

Hehe. Clever.
Name changes are for people who wear women's clothes. - Zuul

Wow. It took me a good minute to remember I didn't have testicles. -xBlackFlash

Are you sure this isn't like that time Michael Jackson stopped by your house so he could use the bathroom? - Superman
J
Kaye Elle Emenopey

Post by J »

I don't have self-portraits seeing that all pictures of me were taken by someone else...but I think this is the closest thing I have. Yeah yeah, I know, I've only posted it 50 times by now... :wink:

This post is a 100% natural organic product.
The slight variations in spelling and grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and in no way are to be considered flaws or defects

I'm not sure why people choose 'To Love is to Bury' as their wedding song...It's about a murder-suicide
- Margo Timmins

When it becomes serious, you have to lie
- Jean-Claude Juncker
Darth Garden Gnome
Official SD.Net Lawn Ornament

Post by Darth Garden Gnome »

jmac wrote:I don't have self-portraits seeing that all pictures of me were taken by someone else...but I think this is the closest thing I have. Yeah yeah, I know, I've only posted it 50 times by now... :wink:
Dear Lord what is that horrible black blob engulfing your arm?!?!?!

:razz:
Leader of the Secret Gnome Revolution
J
Kaye Elle Emenopey

Post by J »

Darth Garden Gnome wrote:Dear Lord what is that horrible black blob engulfing your arm?!?!?!

:razz:
That's Sammy the wonder dog. What? You've never seen a dog before? :P
This post is a 100% natural organic product.
The slight variations in spelling and grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and in no way are to be considered flaws or defects

I'm not sure why people choose 'To Love is to Bury' as their wedding song...It's about a murder-suicide
- Margo Timmins

When it becomes serious, you have to lie
- Jean-Claude Juncker
Gil Hamilton
Tipsy Space Birdie

Post by Gil Hamilton »

jmac wrote:That's Sammy the wonder dog. What? You've never seen a dog before? :P
He looks pissed off. :?

SPOOFE
Sith Devotee

Post by SPOOFE »

I don't know too many people whose artistic merits in photography go beyond a few clumsy self-shots with the aid of the bathroom mirror.
It's called a "timer" :D

Nah, I'm joking. I used to take lots of self pictures (fodder for digital manipulation, like this:

After a little practice, you get used to lining up a shot just by glancing at the lens out of the corner of your eye, if need be.

I need to get a new camera... our old one got stolen. My buddy has a shitload of digital pics that I should make him get to me.
The Great and Malignant