Halo K-2L (Metroid Halo art)

AMP: sci-fi art, regular art, pictures, photos, comics, music, etc.

Moderator: Beowulf

Korgeta
Padawan Learner

Halo K-2L (Metroid Halo art)

Post by Korgeta »

In progress is artwork I intend to use as cover for same name fanfics I am writing on, there's a list of what every deep fan of games wants to do and that's crossovers this is one of them (for me anyway.)

It's worth mentioning (including fanfiction) that Ridley's size is at times often greatly underestimated, on low ests he's 12ft standing, more recent versions have him 15-18ft tall, that is significant. It's quite interesting to learn he actually speaks in the manga and is so despicable that he seems more suited to a crossover with berserk, his colour scheme is often different from each version, so if anyone was or has drawn him just pick which skin version, I wouldn't say it matters given he has a recognizable and unique physique compared to other Nintendo and game sci-fi villains.

Ridley's posture therefore is sitting down (he just wouldn't fir properly, despite sitting he is still positioned high above to keep in mind he is running things.

Pretty much early stages, and the colouring is just to help show the characters in the sketch easier but this is what I've been doing aside from Xcom. I would state I have delved into both halo and Metroid lore because even if it's a crossover it should have a story and a point in it's image. For example the samas armour character* has a connection with the figure directly in front of her.

Chief is very straight forward to draw, lacking facial expressions helps.

*It isn't samus, it's a halo antagonist, but the armour scheme is based on samus which will be more clear when completed.

Should be done near end of this month.

TheFeniX
Sith Marauder

Re: Halo K-2L (Metroid Halo art)

Post by TheFeniX »

Not bad. Always been a big fan of Metroid even even Nintendo isn't. Ridley's size is pretty inconsistent. Prime seems to be one of his larger incarnations that I've personally seen. I think Samus is supposed to be around 7ft in armor and Ridley can over double that while hunched over. If he were ever to fully extend, sans tails, he might stand in the mid to high 20s in feet.

That said, you've drawn him with a bit of a standard "body-builder" torso when he's usually depicted as much more an overgrown pterodactyl with some other dinosaur elements tossed in. He's generally not that bulky and has an elongated torso. Not to say the pirates couldn't put humpty-dumpty back together whatever way they want the fiftieth time Samus blows him into bits.

Still, just nitpicking here. Solid stuff. I'd like to see more.
Korgeta
Padawan Learner

Post by Korgeta »

There is a lot of possibilities for Metroid, the character samus is certainly popular in western markets but it's the home turf she lags on (but is still on SBM series) so she's not forgotten but I would say personally Nintendo is probably better leashing the Metroid IP to Microsoft and that may have been considered in the past, but it all comes down to money. I will say the unnecessary sexualisation of her in Other M did no favors. (extreme emotional stress can make it impossible to use the suit? Not much of a battle suit is it then?!) ugh.

Majority of Metroid content I'll be basing off is from the prime series, but the goal I had in mind was to treat it as halo but with Metroid lore grafted onto it, Halo lore is my priority but immersing what i can of metroid to make it sound reasonable.

I was thinking of making Ridley shorter but that would be a betrayal to one of his defining features which is his size, as for his torso, that's just a standard sketch, I may adopt it as that in the end given I am modelling him into halo (where antagonists generally have a broad torso) just as i might change Adam's hairstyle a little (he'll be the guy left to the MC)
TheFeniX
Sith Marauder

Post by TheFeniX »

Korgeta wrote:There is a lot of possibilities for Metroid, the character samus is certainly popular in western markets but it's the home turf she lags on (but is still on SBM series) so she's not forgotten but I would say personally Nintendo is probably better leashing the Metroid IP to Microsoft and that may have been considered in the past, but it all comes down to money. I will say the unnecessary sexualisation of her in Other M did no favors. (extreme emotional stress can make it impossible to use the suit? Not much of a battle suit is it then?!) ugh.
I don't know specifically what Retro is up to and they've lost a bit of their talent over the years, but there's no reason a new series in the vein of Prime is off Nintendo's punch-list. They obviously care very little for the IP considering it's shelved and ignored constantly in favor of Marios and Zeldas. The game really could make good use of a hybrid 1st and 3rd person format as the tech is there.

Blizzard has The Vikings as playable characters in Heroes of the Storm, but this doesn't mean that IP isn't deader than a box of door-nails. Same with Game and Watch for Nintendo.

Going to beat a dead horse here: Samus's sexualization combined with daddy and baby issues in Other M is IMHO one of the smallest problems with that "game." Metroid Prime, and even some of the later 2Dplatformers, set a really high bar for the series. And that's saying something as Super Metroid easily makes "Best game EVER" lists to this day. To take that huge back-step in the areas of audio, graphics, asset design (character models and environments), and gameplay mechanics (read: just everything) with Other M dealt the series a huge blow.

Other M was just bland. So goddamn bland. There are literally no "wow" moments whereas Prime 1 (and 2) were full of them. And it was insulting to Samus on top of that. Had it not had the Metroid IP to work with, it would have been instantly forgotten for the uninspired design aspects and the just mind-bogglingly sexist depictions of the lead. Like, Bayonetta can be taken as insulting to women (though some consider her empowered, that's besides the point) but the gameplay across nearly any review site is handled the same: the games play very smooth, they look awesome, and the audio is top-notch.

Gamers usually don't mind being insulted as long as they aren't bored. The Baby The Baby The Baby scenes were really just driving the message home: this game is not worth your time.
Majority of Metroid content I'll be basing off is from the prime series, but the goal I had in mind was to treat it as halo but with Metroid lore grafted onto it, Halo lore is my priority but immersing what i can of metroid to make it sound reasonable.
Well, you do have a war of opposites here. The UNSC fights for parity against the Covenant whereas the Space Pirates fight for parity against The Hunter/Chozo tech. Throw in crazy shit like Phazon and Metroids, possibly even X-parasites: mix in the Flood and you got all kinds of crazy shit. Metroid does have an edge in the "batshit crazy" technology areas though.

Chozo tech itself seems like something The Prophets would place a heavy emphasis on if only for the religious imagery. Though I have no idea what time-frame you're talking about with Halo. I gave up on the series when 343 took the reigns. It's terribad now.
I was thinking of making Ridley shorter but that would be a betrayal to one of his defining features which is his size, as for his torso, that's just a standard sketch, I may adopt it as that in the end given I am modelling him into halo (where antagonists generally have a broad torso) just as i might change Adam's hairstyle a little (he'll be the guy left to the MC)
Does he have to sit on a throne? Could be something like a "dog bed" he curls up on and just uses his elongated neck to rise above the room when talking down to people. You could then have him unfurl later to show his full size.

That's what I always liked about Ridley: he's not "big" he's "long." As if when fighting him he can literally come at you from any angle at any time because his limbs are just so damn long he could possibly, while standing in front of you, stab you in the back.
Korgeta
Padawan Learner

Post by Korgeta »

He's not actually on a throne he's just squatting on the ground, he's also for the time partly shaded in shadow to hide that full scale of size, but with the cleaner version here you can see cybernetics added onto him.

Also to show is the armor the woman is wearing, she's called IIsa Zane from the Halo lore, a Spartan IV like Palmer but went astray simply put. While I said I want to be more faithful to Halo lore and adapt anything from Metroid onto it, in IIlsa's case because she's a source from the comics I'm not too fussed on her fate and take creativity on that part. By the time I did research on it she was found drifted in space and picked up by a mysetious person that we don't see. All we see is Zane saying 'You!' so I chose her to the right hand and forefront of Ridley's S.A project (Zane thinks it means Spartan Armour)

Time setting this is not long after Halo 4, and is to carry on the warning theme given by the Didact about humanity, given samus own suit is considered as "ancient" by the chozo themselves allows me to toy with the idea about the origins of the ancient humans and that there may be things the forerunners chose to omit for the best.

In terms of Metroid setting, it's not long after the destruction of Zebes, and while Ridley is angry about that, he also recognises how powerful humanity can be as a tool. The galactic federation exists but as the most powerful break away faction from the UNSC, setting wise there in a state of cold war, and the federation is actually much smaller but gives the impression it isn't by making claims to various systems.

Korgeta
Padawan Learner

Post by Korgeta »

And here is the finished article.

Firstly I had some issues with the ink shadow and the colours own shadow, basically there was a challenge in blending the two.

And ransomware...that's all I'm going to say on that!

For full res feel free to click on the link below.

http://thebritwriter.deviantart.com/art ... -681256106