Cover Song Thread Mk II

AMP: sci-fi art, regular art, pictures, photos, comics, music, etc.

Moderator: Beowulf

Bernkastel
Padawan Learner

Cover Song Thread Mk II

Post by Bernkastel »

Right, since the previous cover song thread hasn't been posted in since early 2015, I decided to create a new one. The idea is, of course, the same. If there's a cover version of a song and you like it, go ahead and post it here.

Here's something to start with.

Death Note - The World (English Cover)
Death Note - What's Up, People? (English Cover)
My Fanfics - I write gay fanfics. Reviews/Feedback will always be greatly appreciated.
My Ko-Fi Page - Currently Seeking Aid with moving home
U.P. Cinnabar
Sith Marauder

Re: Cover Song Thread Mk II

Post by U.P. Cinnabar »

And, this cover of Dire Straits' "Romeo And Juliet," which I like better than the original

"Beware the Beast, Man, for he is the Devil's pawn. Alone amongst God's primates, he kills for sport, for lust, for greed. Yea, he will murder his brother to possess his brother's land. Let him not breed in great numbers, for he will make a desert of his home and yours. Shun him, drive him back into his jungle lair, for he is the harbinger of Death.."
—29th Scroll, 6th Verse of Ape Law
"Indelible in the hippocampus is the laughter. The uproarious laughter between the two, and their having fun at my expense.”
---Doctor Christine Blasey-Ford
Adam Reynolds
Jedi Council Member

Post by Adam Reynolds »

I actually tend to rather like cover artists in general. More than a few take pop songs and make them better. Though to start, I have to start with a sad one. Youtuber Christina Grimmie was killed in Orlando on June 11, the day before the mass shooting at the nightclub. Her brother probably stopped it from becoming a mass shooting.

The first and last song of hers that I saw on Youtube:

And another from somewhere in the middle:

RIP

Though for a smartass answer, some of the most well known versions of songs are often covers, like this:
U.P. Cinnabar
Sith Marauder

Post by U.P. Cinnabar »

Battlestartrek GINO almost ruined that damn song for me.

Here's the Indigo GIrls' cover of "All Along the Watchtower."

as well as Ralph Stanley's haunting acapella cover of "O Death," featured in O Brother, Where Art Thou:

"Beware the Beast, Man, for he is the Devil's pawn. Alone amongst God's primates, he kills for sport, for lust, for greed. Yea, he will murder his brother to possess his brother's land. Let him not breed in great numbers, for he will make a desert of his home and yours. Shun him, drive him back into his jungle lair, for he is the harbinger of Death.."
—29th Scroll, 6th Verse of Ape Law
"Indelible in the hippocampus is the laughter. The uproarious laughter between the two, and their having fun at my expense.”
---Doctor Christine Blasey-Ford
Bernkastel
Padawan Learner

Post by Bernkastel »

Adam Reynolds wrote:I actually tend to rather like cover artists in general. More than a few take pop songs and make them better.
I agree. It's why a lot of my own interest in music is centred on looking for covers of various songs or bits of music I've heard. Even if the cover doesn't improve on the original, there are plenty of covers that are still likeable in their own way.
My Fanfics - I write gay fanfics. Reviews/Feedback will always be greatly appreciated.
My Ko-Fi Page - Currently Seeking Aid with moving home