The Dark Side of Barbie (Photos in Link)

AMP: sci-fi art, regular art, pictures, photos, comics, music, etc.

Moderator: Beowulf

Soontir C'boath
SG-14: Fuck the Medic!
Location: Queens, NYC I DON'T FUCKING CARE IF MANHATTEN IS CONSIDERED NYC!! I'M IN IT ASSHOLE!!!

The Dark Side of Barbie (Photos in Link)

Post by Soontir C'boath »

It's a running interview with photos interspersed so I won't say anything more than that they put her in rather provocative settings that may or may not hit the NSFW tag, but I don't think so.

Kaltblut
I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in his stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen's Counciler or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate, who is more devoted to "order" than to justice; who constantly says: "I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I cannot agree with your methods of direct action"; who paternalistically believes he can set the timetable for another man's freedom; who lives by a mythical concept of time and who constantly advises the Negro to wait for a "more convenient season."
U.P. Cinnabar
Sith Marauder

Re: The Dark Side of Barbie (Photos in Link)

Post by U.P. Cinnabar »

I'd say it was definitely NSFW. And, more than a little bit weird.
"Beware the Beast, Man, for he is the Devil's pawn. Alone amongst God's primates, he kills for sport, for lust, for greed. Yea, he will murder his brother to possess his brother's land. Let him not breed in great numbers, for he will make a desert of his home and yours. Shun him, drive him back into his jungle lair, for he is the harbinger of Death.."
—29th Scroll, 6th Verse of Ape Law
"Indelible in the hippocampus is the laughter. The uproarious laughter between the two, and their having fun at my expense.”
---Doctor Christine Blasey-Ford
Purple
Sith Acolyte
Location: In a purple cube orbiting this planet. Hijacking satellites for an internet connection.

Post by Purple »

In what way? The tag is incredibly vague and covers everything from violence to sexual content and other stuff. It is good as a massive warning but for actually telling me if it is something that I want to look at.
It has become clear to me in the previous days that any attempts at reconciliation and explanation with the community here has failed. I have tried my best. I really have. I pored my heart out trying. But it was all for nothing.

You win. There, I have said it.

Now there is only one thing left to do. Let us see if I can sum up the strength needed to end things once and for all.
Iroscato
Jedi Council Member

Post by Iroscato »

Well, there goes several minutes of my life I'll never get back.
Yeah, I've always taken the subtext of the Birther movement to be, "The rules don't count here! This is different! HE'S BLACK! BLACK, I SAY! ARE YOU ALL BLIND!?

- Raw Shark

Destiny and fate are for those too weak to forge their own futures. Where we are 'supposed' to be is irrelevent.

- SirNitram (RIP)
U.P. Cinnabar
Sith Marauder

Post by U.P. Cinnabar »

Purple wrote:and covers everything from violence to sexual content
So do the dark Barbie pics. Cover everything from violence(decapitated Skipper and Ken dolls) to sexual content(BDSM) that is.
"Beware the Beast, Man, for he is the Devil's pawn. Alone amongst God's primates, he kills for sport, for lust, for greed. Yea, he will murder his brother to possess his brother's land. Let him not breed in great numbers, for he will make a desert of his home and yours. Shun him, drive him back into his jungle lair, for he is the harbinger of Death.."
—29th Scroll, 6th Verse of Ape Law
"Indelible in the hippocampus is the laughter. The uproarious laughter between the two, and their having fun at my expense.”
---Doctor Christine Blasey-Ford
biostem
Jedi Master

Post by biostem »

It kind of reminds me of garbage pail kids, only in a "more adult" version, (in that it's parodying a fairly innocent franchise in grotesque or shocking ways).
Joun_Lord
Jedi Master

Post by Joun_Lord »

I'm sure someone would would consider this anti-male or something considering alot of these pictures are of Ken getting killed and literally emasculated. Of course those would be the same people who consider Mad Max anti-male for daring to have a female lead and having a (probably stupid idea) tribe of women with a name that sounds like Vulva. And MM didn't even have some dudes cut off nuts hanging on a car.

Potential MRA whining aside, I can't say I really see the point or appeal of this. I mean its kinda cool in the same way using Stormtroopers and Clonetrooper dolls (they're action figures, ACTION FIGURES!!!!!) to recreate famous wars pics is though considerably less cool then that. I wouldn't call this art or having a point beyond doing things for shocks sake. Taking a cherished icon and making her do naughty things and Robot Chicken does it far better.

Though I'll admit I don't get art at all. And I so don't get whats going on with the one with Ken covered in babies. Probably a good thing.
Purple
Sith Acolyte
Location: In a purple cube orbiting this planet. Hijacking satellites for an internet connection.

Post by Purple »

Chimaera wrote:Well, there goes several minutes of my life I'll never get back.
Same reaction here. The few pictures that were even remotely interesting were such in spite of and not because of the use of the barbie doll. So really if there was a statement to be made here beyond "look what I did!" it's not coming through.
It has become clear to me in the previous days that any attempts at reconciliation and explanation with the community here has failed. I have tried my best. I really have. I pored my heart out trying. But it was all for nothing.

You win. There, I have said it.

Now there is only one thing left to do. Let us see if I can sum up the strength needed to end things once and for all.