Stargate Command Croydon

AMP: sci-fi art, regular art, pictures, photos, comics, music, etc.

Moderator: Beowulf

Starglider
Miles Dyson

Re: Stargate Command Croydon

Postby Starglider » 2016-08-28 04:21pm

Alas madness has set in; a very specific kind of madness, not uncommon on the AVS forums: rear projection optical path optimisation. First, I thought why not have a ratio of 2.4:1 instead of 16:9, not just for films, but also for PC gaming. Ok, some more throw length required to cover the width so two mirrors instead of one, in fact the more the better so let's extend beyond the deepest viable wall position with some concrete pipe segments (waterproofing be damned);

Ah, but the brightest non-professional 4K projector you can get is only 2000 lumens and that is only a brightness of 20 nits. But what about using a 1.5 optical gain screen? Well, incidence angle must be below 13 degrees to achieve an acceptable center to corner screen brightness ratio. This requires an optical path length of 9.5m. At this point I realised that technically, no could stop me from just excavating a huge trench under the experiment chamber.

9.5m is coincidentally the maximum throw distance for the Sony VPL-VW1100ES in 16:9 mode, so that works out nicely. Obviously this would also be useful as somewhere to put the pulse forming network when it comes to installing the teleporter.
Narrative Analysis : http://www.mylittleprogram.net (under construction)

Starglider
Miles Dyson

Postby Starglider » 2016-08-31 04:37pm

The wife is expressing some skepticism about the need for five separate projectors (and that's just 2D content). But then, she still hasn't seen Wargames yet. I'm sure a film evening can convince her of the necessity of a Big Board in every War Room.

Starglider
Miles Dyson

Postby Starglider » 2016-10-27 06:55pm

This has taken a hideously long time mostly due to the astounding, yet wholly unsurprising, inefficiency of local government beurecracy. However structural design is finally complete: the engineer deleted all the steels except the hoist beams, repalcing them with integrated R/C, and switched all the steel mesh to individual rods.

The 3D view really makes it clear that the overall size is bigger than the main house, and indeed, the average detached house here. Because of course MAD SCIENCE is more important than mere living accomodations. The next step is temporary piling; I am collecting quotes now.

Starglider
Miles Dyson

Postby Starglider » 2017-01-28 09:41am

Construction of the upper pile wall was prioritised due to the fact that the 1950s mortared stone retaining wall bellow the house had buckled, and was risking subsidence of the house. Spec is 14 x 450mm piles with R/C capping beam, 5 x 25mm rebar cages in each. Drilling was delayed for days by mysterious and inexplicable faults in the piling rig. Finally, as the last bore of the first pass reached 11 metres below ground (this type of pile wall is done in two passes), a screeching and wailing noise errupted from the hole. The crew were visibly concerned but pushed on. At 12 metres the drill string snapped, leaving 4 metres of auger stuck in the hole. The crew worked through Saturday to force backfill into the shaft, recover the buried drill components and then re-bore the hole ready for concrete pouring.

This type of auger is extremely sturdy and the strata is relatively soft chalk; cause of the failure remains undetermined.

madd0ct0r
Sith Acolyte

Postby madd0ct0r » 2017-01-28 10:29pm

Ugh. Screeching and wailing is steel on steel in my experience. Once welded the tip of a core drill to some rebar by trying to push past it.

Could have been an unusually large flint inclusion. Could have been an old waste tip . Purely in a detached professional capacity, because I don't know where you are in relation to London and its old airfields, was the risk of UXOs ever discussed?
"Aid, trade, green technology and peace." - Hans Rosling.
"Welcome to SDN, where we can't see the forest because walking into trees repeatedly feels good, bro." - Mr Coffee

Starglider
Miles Dyson

Postby Starglider » 2017-01-29 12:19pm

madd0ct0r wrote:Could have been an unusually large flint inclusion. Could have been an old waste tip . Purely in a detached professional capacity, because I don't know where you are in relation to London and its old airfields, was the risk of UXOs ever discussed?

The site is 1.5km from RAF Kenley, which was one of the three main fighter airfields defending London in the second world war. All UXO was thoroughly cleared postwar though.

Starglider
Miles Dyson

Postby Starglider » 2017-03-20 04:09pm

COMMENCE PRIMARY EXCAVATION

A mere 17 months elapsed from concept drawings to actual construction, thanks to the speed and efficiency of local government beurecracy. Of course drainage and air supply requires a series of tubes.

Starglider
Miles Dyson

Postby Starglider » 2017-04-11 05:43pm

This small excavator was lifted down into the hole by the large excavator: about to dig out the sump pit and projection trench.

SCRawl
Has a bad feeling about this.

Postby SCRawl » 2017-04-12 06:21pm

Is the portable toilet from the previous post larger on the inside?
73% of all statistics are made up, including this one.

I'm waiting as fast as I can.

The_Saint
Jedi Knight

Postby The_Saint » 2017-04-21 07:54pm

If it isn't I'm sure the police call box in the background is...
All people are equal but some people are more equal than others.

Return to “Artwork, Music and Photos”