TJ's DC trip & WW2 Flyover

AMP: sci-fi art, regular art, pictures, photos, comics, music, etc.

Moderator: Beowulf

TimothyC
Of Sector 2814

TJ's DC trip & WW2 Flyover

Post by TimothyC »

On the way out to DC, A stop was made in Gettysburg

Widely refereed to as the "High Point of the Confederacy", the section of wall seen in this image is the only place where the rebels broke through the union lines on the third day.

The next day a trip was made to Udvar Hazy.

When entering Udvar Hazy, you are greeted with an SR-71 and the shuttle behind.

The X-35B, the STOVL prototype for the F-35B is seen here.

The Tracking and Data Relay Satellite is positioned above the shuttle.

Designed to be launched from an F-15 at the peak of a Zoom Climb, the ASM-135 was an anti-satellite weapon, but was never operational.

Dropped into the Venusian atmosphere by the Vega probe, this sensor platform operated for over two weeks.

Above is a RIM-8 TALOS long range SAM, while bellow is the submarine launched, anti-submarine SUBROC weapon.

The Hall of Missiles is short, but includes a wide variety from various points in history.

Another view. In the Lower left corner the Instrument Unit from a Saturn rocket can be seen.

Here we see a B-26 being restored.

Proposed for Gemini recovery, the program was dropped in favor of the Apollo Capsule and conventional parachute recovery.

Another shuttle view.

A wide variety of aircraft are on display.

The prototype for both the 707 and the C-135, this aircraft (Boeing 367-80) is technically a version of neither.

F-BVFA is on display

This unique biplane had issues on launch, and the design was abandoned in late 1903 following a crash.

Enola Gay

A survivor of the Pearl Harbor attack, this Aircraft was used to search for the retiring IJN fleet

From the observation tower, flight operations at Dulles can be viewed. Here, an A380 has just landed.

The next day I went to the Mall for the flyover. Here we see Spaceship One at the Air and Space Museum

Apollo 11's Columbia.

They squeezed a lot of planes into a very small space

Spirit of Saint Louis is on the ground for restoration work.

The first group of the flyover was a flight of L-4 Grasshoppers.

Is a flight of Stearman aircraft a group of Stearmen?

The most numerous aircraft in the flyover, the T-6s were out in force

As a flight commemorating the Doolittle Raid, the B-25s took their rightful place in the history of American aviation.

A Catalina, finally taking her turn to do a pass down the mall.

Representing US air power at Midway.

The B-24 is making her pass....

....With her little friends to help her!

Probably the loudest moment of the flyover.

A close-up.

Fifi's not as loud as a pair of B-17s, but she is imposing.

Follwoing the flyover, It was decided to go to the National Gallery as that was likely the coolest and quietest place on the Mall.

The first in a series of five paintings by Gilbert Stuart of the first presidents, the paintings are on display in the National Gallery.

Also on display is a portrait of John Jay, the first Chief Justice of the Supreme Court.
"I believe in the future. It is wonderful because it stands on what has been achieved." - Sergei Korolev
Borgholio
Sith Acolyte

Re: TJ's DC trip & WW2 Flyover

Post by Borgholio »

Nice pics! They really did cram a bunch of planes into that place. How close were you able to get to the Enola Gay? I would have died to touch the plane that dropped the very first atomic bomb in history (not glamorizing the death of so many civilians, but it is still historic). I like how they have the Apollo 11 capsule fully enclosed. Hall of Missiles is a silly cool name too! Oh and the B-17? Yes it's noisy. I've flown IN one of them before over Long Beach. You think it's loud from the outside? :) But when you're snugly nestled in between those four massive engines...you feel the power in them rather than simply hearing it. You really do feel invincible in that plane.
You will be assimilated...bunghole!
TimothyC
Of Sector 2814

Post by TimothyC »

Borgholio wrote:Nice pics!
Thank you!
Borgholio wrote:How close were you able to get to the Enola Gay? I would have died to touch the plane that dropped the very first atomic bomb in history (not glamorizing the death of so many civilians, but it is still historic).
You can get maybe two meters from her, but from the catwalk there is a plexiglass plate precluding anyone from trying to touch or deface the aircraft. The Smithsonian is very careful about preventing the aircraft from being defaced again.
"I believe in the future. It is wonderful because it stands on what has been achieved." - Sergei Korolev
Borgholio
Sith Acolyte

Post by Borgholio »

The Smithsonian is very careful about preventing the aircraft from being defaced again.
Yeah I heard about those whackjobs that threw a bucket of paint on her. I mean most people I know do disagree with the atomic bombings, but the EG is just a fucking plane...vandalizing it isn't going to bring all those people back.
You will be assimilated...bunghole!
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

In the picture with the PBY. Is that a jet-powered flying wing body by it? Looks seriously sci-fi...
It's a strange world. Let's keep it that way.
TimothyC
Of Sector 2814

Post by TimothyC »

Elheru Aran wrote:In the picture with the PBY. Is that a jet-powered flying wing body by it? Looks seriously sci-fi...
If you are talking about the JRS-1 in the restoration area, then yes, that is an Horten Ho 229 V3. She's right behind Flak Bait (the B-26B) in line for restoration work.
Sea Skimmer
Yankee Capitalist Air Pirate

Post by Sea Skimmer »

Has the He 219 gotten its wings back yet?
"This cult of special forces is as sensible as to form a Royal Corps of Tree Climbers and say that no soldier who does not wear its green hat with a bunch of oak leaves stuck in it should be expected to climb a tree"
— Field Marshal William Slim 1956
TimothyC
Of Sector 2814

Post by TimothyC »

Sea Skimmer wrote:Has the He 219 gotten its wings back yet?
Nope.
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

How many hours do you need to save to get a good look at all the planes?
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
TimothyC
Of Sector 2814

Post by TimothyC »

Thanas wrote:How many hours do you need to save to get a good look at all the planes?
I did the museum on the Mall in under 90 minutes - but I could have probably spent about twice that long had I not been under time pressure (The museum opens at 1000, the flyover was at 1210).

Udvar Hazy is a different story - I got in around 1000, and left about 1500 because of scheduling issues. While I did get a chance to see everything in those five hours, I could have easily spent several more hours.
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

The Smithsonian Museums are really pretty dense. Some of the older ones aren't terribly impressive, but Air and Space is pretty neat. I haven't been in a very long time, though. Last time was when the Air and Space had that Star Wars exhibit... I think this was in '98 or so?
It's a strange world. Let's keep it that way.