New free opera website

AMP: sci-fi art, regular art, pictures, photos, comics, music, etc.

Moderator: Beowulf

Thanas
Magister
Magister

New free opera website

Post by Thanas »

http://www.theoperaplatform.eu/en

Guardian Article
La Traviata, Verdi’s opera about the doomed love of a courtesan and a young man, will be streamed live and free of charge worldwide from the stage of Madrid’s Teatro Real on Friday, opening an EU-backed programme intended to make opera more accessible.

The Opera Platform (www.theoperaplatform.eu) is a three-year project with an overall budget of almost €4m (US$4.5m), of which about half comes from the EU’s cultural budget.

“The Opera Platform is an online platform for the promotion and enjoyment of opera. It is designed to appeal equally to those who already love opera and to those who may be tempted to try it for the first time,” a press statement said.

It said internet users throughout the world would be able to watch the simulcast and future live transmissions from the stages of 15 participating European opera companies in 12 countries.

There will be on average about one live transmission a month, which will be available for viewing on the website for six months. Subtitles are provided in English, French, German, Italian, Polish and Spanish.

The site will also offer documentaries, opera archive materials and highlights of productions throughout Europe.

The website is being offered by the EU’s Creative Europe programme in collaboration with Opera Europa, which is an association of 155 opera companies and festivals, the cultural channel Arte and the 15 opera companies.

Future productions include Karol Szymanowski’s Krol Roger (King Roger) from Covent Garden in London and Richard Wagner’s Gotterdammerung from the Vienna Staatsoper.

Also on tap are Jean Sibelius’s Kullervo from the Finnish National Opera in Helsinki, Arturs Maskats’s Valentina by the Latvian National Opera in Riga and Mozart’s The Abduction from the Seraglio, from the Aix-en-Provence festival in France.
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Jub
Sith Marauder

Re: New free opera website

Post by Jub »

I've never tried to watch Opera before, but this seems interesting. The subtitles will allow me to follow the action and if I find I like it I know there is more to look forward to in the future.

I would imagine that you may have seen La Traviata before, is it one that you think an Opera novice might enjoy?
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

You will enjoy the first half, but be prepared that all the hits are there and the music changes into something more dark as befitting the story from the first half on. Remember that it is a tragical story and that there are no simplistic, happy endings.

EDIT: I should have prefaced that with that even the happy songs have a desperate note to it, as befits the story as well. So don't watch this if you are depressed - or if you do, don't understand the Italian. If you do, even the happy songs will lose their joy.
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

First live broadcast only 1 hour 12 minutes away.
------------
------------
My LPs