Help me pick a company name and logo

AMP: sci-fi art, regular art, pictures, photos, comics, music, etc.

Moderator: Beowulf

madd0ct0r
Sith Acolyte

Help me pick a company name and logo

Post by madd0ct0r »

Result of a fit of insomnia. These are rough drafts, but I'm paralysed by choice. All of them are available online and I'd be happy to use any of them.

"Aid, trade, green technology and peace." - Hans Rosling.
"Welcome to SDN, where we can't see the forest because walking into trees repeatedly feels good, bro." - Mr Coffee
Borgholio
Sith Acolyte

Re: Help me pick a company name and logo

Post by Borgholio »

I like Glowing Fungus.
You will be assimilated...bunghole!
Iroscato
Jedi Council Member

Post by Iroscato »

I like the Hidden Info Games one personally. What sort of game company will it be, computer or board games?
EDIT: Saw the 'board games' in some of the logos. Another fine Derp Moment brought to you by Chimaera.
Last edited by Iroscato on 2014-08-12 11:08am, edited 1 time in total.
Yeah, I've always taken the subtext of the Birther movement to be, "The rules don't count here! This is different! HE'S BLACK! BLACK, I SAY! ARE YOU ALL BLIND!?

- Raw Shark

Destiny and fate are for those too weak to forge their own futures. Where we are 'supposed' to be is irrelevent.

- SirNitram (RIP)
Spekio
Jedi Knight

Post by Spekio »

Hidden Info or Abstract.
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

Second to Hidden Info Games and the Fungus one because it has the most logo like design to far.

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
madd0ct0r
Sith Acolyte

Post by madd0ct0r »

Thanks guys!

Don't worry so much on the actual logo shape at this point - they're basically doodles. It's narrowing the name down I'm having real trouble with.
"Welcome to SDN, where we can't see the forest because walking into trees repeatedly feels good, bro." - Mr Coffee
Starglider
Miles Dyson

Post by Starglider »

'Greenpunk Games' is the most professional looking. I don't know if that's what you're going for though.
madd0ct0r
Sith Acolyte

Post by madd0ct0r »

to be honest, I wanted to go with Cromlyn Games, but had a devil of a time finding a good identity to go with the name.
Lagmonster
Master Control Program
Master Control Program

Post by Lagmonster »

Hidden Info is the best name of all of them, period. It is the least likely to be associated with something negative or mundane, and is the least "I'm trying really hard to be clever" option among many.
salm
Rabid Monkey

Post by salm »

How are the others "trying to be clever"? And how is Hidden Info different?
madd0ct0r
Sith Acolyte

Post by madd0ct0r »

no, to be fair, most of them are trying hard to be clever :)
most are not succeeding.

It's kinda interesting really. I've asked here, in a board game designer's group, in a logo designers group on reddit and at my local cafe.
Every place has had completely different opinions. Voting is split over about 12 concepts, with 4 tied for top place. About the only thing that is consistent is that the ones I personally quite liked are universally ignored :)

I'll give it another day and post the results
salm
Rabid Monkey

Post by salm »

madd0ct0r wrote:no, to be fair, most of them are trying hard to be clever :)
Ok, I believe you. But how? In what way? Can you explain it like I´m 5?
madd0ct0r
Sith Acolyte

Post by madd0ct0r »

most of them are atrocious puns.
"Very Cleaver Games", -pun on very clever games
"Rice Paddy Games" (my name is Paddy, or Patrick),
"Anti-Bore Games" - pun on board games
"Labourinth of Love" - pun on Labour of Love
"Dice Fall Games" - pun 'let the dice fall where they will"
"Mouse Tale Games " pun on tail

Hidden Info is trying to be visually clever, but it's not groanable wordplay.
No Luck games shows competing probability search trees as used in game theory
Mouse Tale Games, Glowing Fungus Games and Dice Fall Games all replace a letter or three with part of the image
Similar stuff happening with Cannibal games - looks like a man eating a sandwich.
salm
Rabid Monkey

Post by salm »

Lol, ok indeed. I must admit i got non of the puns before you spelled them out. :lol:
Lagmonster
Master Control Program
Master Control Program

Post by Lagmonster »

maddoctor spelled it out. Visually, the logos for "Fat Free Games" and "Stigmergi Games" are the most innovative images you have. I don't know what a "stigmergi" is, though, so I can't speak to the symbolism. Likewise I don't know what an "auldpunk" is.

What you're getting is the perspective of a 40-something father of two who has to look at products he doesn't understand to buy them for his son, so a brand that I can recognize and not feel threatened by opens my wallet more often than not. If you were called "mindfucker squidrape incorporated", chances are I'd tell my kid he couldn't have it. But I don't know your market; you might be appealing to people who pay for their own stuff. If you're hoping to attract late-teens and twenty-somethings who still need dad's charity, you might want to consider something that works in either market.
madd0ct0r
Sith Acolyte

Post by madd0ct0r »

Stigmergy is something very cool, and something I think will become more important in design this decade. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stigmergy
Basically, while humans have practiced it for a while, it's things like wikis that have really provided detailed case studies of it as a process (in humans)

It turns out I can't use it though, since there already exists Stegmier Games, which is too close for comfort. Same for Two Cat (Blue Cat Games) and Evil Chat (Evil Hat Productions).
Lagmonster
Master Control Program
Master Control Program

Post by Lagmonster »

madd0ct0r wrote:Stigmergy is something very cool, and something I think will become more important in design this decade. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stigmergy
Basically, while humans have practiced it for a while, it's things like wikis that have really provided detailed case studies of it as a process (in humans).
Huh. And there's even several entomologists in the building. Should have taken the 'ant' cue and asked.