Jaepheth works with wood

AMP: sci-fi art, regular art, pictures, photos, comics, music, etc.

Moderator: Beowulf

Jaepheth
Jedi Master

Jaepheth works with wood

Post by Jaepheth »

Entendres aside; I thought some of you might like a peek at something I'm making as a wedding gift for some friends of mine:

Original Plans:
Basically, a solid wood box carved to be a scale model of the Tardis with a middle section that slides out to reveal a pair of custom etched wine glasses and glencairn scotch glasses (I'll be etching their names in English and Circle Gallifreyen, design to be worked out later)

Outer shell:

Inner shell: (will be held at the bottom by half blind dovetails)
I measured something wrong and after several iterations (and unnecessary cuts) found I can't fit both the wine glasses AND the scotch glasses side by side.
So I'll be replacing the drawer at the top with some fitted pockets in which to lay the scotch glasses horizontally

I decided to do decals instead of hand painting everything; so I got some waterslide decal paper and will get these printed out to apply after the blue paint:
Children of the Ancients
I'm sorry, but the number you have dialed is imaginary. Please rotate the phone by 90 degrees and try again.
madd0ct0r
Sith Acolyte

Re: Jaepheth works with wood

Post by madd0ct0r »

well this looks like fun !
"Aid, trade, green technology and peace." - Hans Rosling.
"Welcome to SDN, where we can't see the forest because walking into trees repeatedly feels good, bro." - Mr Coffee
Jaepheth
Jedi Master

Post by Jaepheth »

Finished the inner section's construction and glassware rests. Now starting to relief-carve the sides

Children of the Ancients
I'm sorry, but the number you have dialed is imaginary. Please rotate the phone by 90 degrees and try again.
Dalton
For Those About to Rock We Salute You
For Those About to Rock We Salute You

Post by Dalton »

What a thoughtful gift. That looks really nice. Have you ever heard of the Wood Whisperer podcast? It may interest you.
To Absent Friends
Dalton | Admin Smash | Knight of the Order of SDN

"y = mx + bro" - Surlethe
"You try THAT shit again, kid, and I will mod you. I will
mod you so hard, you'll wish I were Dalton." - Lagmonster

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.
Jaepheth
Jedi Master

Post by Jaepheth »

I've heard of it; I think I've watched one of their videos. I typically don't do podcasts because audio's harder to skim through than text or video.

Holy shit! That took a long time; had to bust out the router just so the one side didn't take a whole week. First door carving is done; three more to go:

Doesn't slide freely yet; I'll have to do some final fitting and some tear outs will need to be filled; I'll probably also touch up the windows before painting. The half blind dovetails were too deep and have become full dovetails :(

Oh well, I doubt they'll still be visible once primed and painted.
Children of the Ancients
Jaepheth
Jedi Master

Post by Jaepheth »

After a few weeks I finally found time enough to finish the bas relief carving... it's starting to look right :)

Now I just have to get the roof together and carve a lantern for the top.
Children of the Ancients
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

Let me know if you need help with the Circle Gallifreyan - while there are some adequate translation apps out there I find using the app for a sketch then going and redrawing it for greater aesthetic appearance generally gives better results. Or do it all yourself. :wink:
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
Mr. Coffee
is an asshole.
Location: And banging your mom is half the battle... G.I. Joe!

Post by Mr. Coffee »

Love the carving work. Would be a bit better if you inlaid some darker woods into the windows, then stainded. Or you could try staining everyhting but the windows with a laghter stain shade, but depending on the porousness of the wood that could be problematic. I'd honestly go with staining the entire piece, then use some precut/prestained darker woods for the windows of the box itself.
Goddammit, now I'm forced to say in public that I agree with Mr. Coffee. - Mike Wong
I never would have thought I would wholeheartedly agree with Coffee... - fgalkin x2
Honestly, this board is so fucking stupid at times. - Thanas
GALE ForceCarwash: Oh, I'll wax that shit, bitch...
Mr. Coffee
is an asshole.
Location: And banging your mom is half the battle... G.I. Joe!

Post by Mr. Coffee »

Ok, just to clarify, what I mean is take something like 1/8th Walnut, stain it, and pre-cut it for the windows of the Tardis. If 1/8th is to thick, correct with a belt sander or whatever untill you get the desired thickness. Use Elmer's wood glue for final fixing of the piece (anything else is for assholes).
Goddammit, now I'm forced to say in public that I agree with Mr. Coffee. - Mike Wong
I never would have thought I would wholeheartedly agree with Coffee... - fgalkin x2
Honestly, this board is so fucking stupid at times. - Thanas
GALE ForceCarwash: Oh, I'll wax that shit, bitch...
madd0ct0r
Sith Acolyte

Post by madd0ct0r »

woah, I was thinking the sides looked a little heavy, but that carving takes away all of that. lovely work
"Aid, trade, green technology and peace." - Hans Rosling.
"Welcome to SDN, where we can't see the forest because walking into trees repeatedly feels good, bro." - Mr Coffee
Jaepheth
Jedi Master

Post by Jaepheth »

Mr. Coffee wrote:Ok, just to clarify, what I mean is take something like 1/8th Walnut, stain it, and pre-cut it for the windows of the Tardis. If 1/8th is to thick, correct with a belt sander or whatever untill you get the desired thickness. Use Elmer's wood glue for final fixing of the piece (anything else is for assholes).
Windows will be filled with a thinned, colored epoxy (self leveling)

Spent a day on the lathe and finished the lantern:

Now doing final assembly and painting.
Children of the Ancients
Jaepheth
Jedi Master

Post by Jaepheth »

First layer of blue. It's looking good :)

After a lengthy period of swatch hunting and trying to match it to the official "Pantone 2955C" (To my surprise, you can't just walk into a paint shop and request a pantone color code) I finally decided on Behr S-G-580 "Running Water" (Heh... River)

Edit: Fuck me; I got a water/latex based paint. I'm going to have to top coat it to get it to stop being sticky and have better abrasion resistance.
Children of the Ancients
Jaepheth
Jedi Master

Post by Jaepheth »

It is finished:

Front
Ended up just painting the windows and then pouring on a thick polyurethane layer.

Detail
For the lock I turned a counter-sunk washer/sleeve on my lathe and attached it with a flat head screw; the slotted head then becomes the key slot. The handles were made by folding over some thin metal flashing into the desired shape; they were then pinned to the body using paperclips and a peening hammer.

Inside

Glass detail

EDIT: Changed image host
Last edited by Jaepheth on 2014-12-16 11:50pm, edited 1 time in total.
Children of the Ancients
SCRawl
Has a bad feeling about this.

Post by SCRawl »

I can't see your images inline, but I can if I cut/paste the URLs. Is this just me?

Anyways, it looks great.
73% of all statistics are made up, including this one.

I'm waiting as fast as I can.
Jaepheth
Jedi Master

Post by Jaepheth »

Switched image host. Better?
Children of the Ancients
SCRawl
Has a bad feeling about this.

Post by SCRawl »

I can see the images now, so yes.
73% of all statistics are made up, including this one.

I'm waiting as fast as I can.
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

That is a work of art. :-D
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet