Mobile TARDIS Replica : completed pics

AMP: sci-fi art, regular art, pictures, photos, comics, music, etc.

Moderator: Beowulf

Starglider
Miles Dyson

Mobile TARDIS Replica : completed pics

Post by Starglider »

Actually parts for the custom trailer for my scratch-built DeLorean DMC-12 : a full scale screen accurate Matt Smith TARDIS replica, mounted upright on this chassis;

but I will replace the nasty wheels with DeLorean ones and the nasty light board with side pods containing DeLorean tail light clusters.
Last edited by Starglider on 2014-06-21 04:41pm, edited 2 times in total.
PainRack
Emperor's Hand

Re: TARDIS exploded on the lawn

Post by PainRack »

We will watch your career with great interest young Skywalker
Let him land on any Lyran world to taste firsthand the wrath of peace loving people thwarted by the myopic greed of a few miserly old farts- Katrina Steiner
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

Young man, we are expecting you to clean up any space-time messiness this creates!
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
mr friendly guy
The Doctor
Location: In a 1960s police telephone box somewhere in Australia

Post by mr friendly guy »

People build replica Daleks. There is also a club which teaches people how to create their own life size Daleks. So why not build a TARDIS? Looks awesome by the way.
Never apologise for being a geek, because they won't apologise to you for being an arsehole. John Barrowman - 22 June 2014 Perth Supernova.

Countries I have been to - 14.
Australia, Canada, China, Colombia, Denmark, Ecuador, Finland, Germany, Malaysia, Netherlands, Norway, Singapore, Sweden, USA.
Always on the lookout for more nice places to visit.
Starglider
Miles Dyson

Post by Starglider »

I made some progress on this this morning, since my DeLorean is in the Netherlands for more engine tuning at the moment, but it was raining so I had to work on wiring instead of mounting structure;

I am using super bright LED strips for an even glow that is visible in daylight. Might do the remote control flashy thing for the top signal light this afternoon.
Sea Skimmer
Yankee Capitalist Air Pirate

Post by Sea Skimmer »

You should mount a Klingon mannequin head behind the windows when its finished.
"This cult of special forces is as sensible as to form a Royal Corps of Tree Climbers and say that no soldier who does not wear its green hat with a bunch of oak leaves stuck in it should be expected to climb a tree"
— Field Marshal William Slim 1956
Starglider
Miles Dyson

Post by Starglider »

Got the base firmly attached to the chassis.

The scale of the new series design is quite substantial, especially since the DeLorean is so low. Will have to be careful driving in crosswinds.

Slight problem with the hubcentric spacers, that I'm using to fit DeLorean front wheels to the trailer. The center hole diameter is correct on the inside but there's a flange on the outside rim with a smaller inner diameter, that blocks the hub from coming through. Will have to angle grind it off.

Starglider
Miles Dyson

Post by Starglider »

Ground out the spacers to fit on the hubs; took the flange off with the angle grider and then used a rotary burr to enlarge the center hole by about 5mm

New problem; I have unintentionally joined the 'hellaflush' club.

Will have to solve the wheel arch rubbing with the standard 'stance lifestyle' solution; cut off bits of the bodywork...
InsaneTD
Jedi Knight

Post by InsaneTD »

Why not move the wheel arch back a half inch?
Starglider
Miles Dyson

Post by Starglider »

Made some progress this weekend, limited the fact that (a) my 4x4 still isn't ready for roadworthiness test and I had to work on it a bit and (b) neighbours drains blocked up this weekend and flooded our patio with foul waste, had to go round and rod it for them.
InsaneTD wrote:Why not move the wheel arch back a half inch?
Because the supports are welded to the frame and it would be a huge hassle to grind them off and reweld them, especially as I don't know how to weld. I split them in half instead, will add some blue perspex spacers later;

Anyway roof is on;

two of the three walls are up (accidentally cracked a window pane on the third, waiting for a replacement);

and the flashy thing on the top is flashing on command;

Iroscato
Jedi Council Member

Post by Iroscato »

Looks friggin' AWESOME.
Shame all the good Dimension-Transcendor shops are out of business these days... :(
Yeah, I've always taken the subtext of the Birther movement to be, "The rules don't count here! This is different! HE'S BLACK! BLACK, I SAY! ARE YOU ALL BLIND!?

- Raw Shark

Destiny and fate are for those too weak to forge their own futures. Where we are 'supposed' to be is irrelevent.

- SirNitram (RIP)
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

Is it going to make The Noise, too, or will you be driving it with the parking brake off?
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
Starglider
Miles Dyson

Post by Starglider »

Broomstick wrote:Is it going to make The Noise, too, or will you be driving it with the parking brake off?
Not sure if I will have separate speakers & electronics on the trailer for that or just get the towing DeLorean (which already has eight external speakers) to do it.
Starglider
Miles Dyson

Post by Starglider »

Ended up using a whole pot of filler. Nearly half of it went on the area where I had to carve out more clearance; I centered the TARDIS structure on the chassis, but I failed to check that the chassis was centered on the axle before I started. As such about 15mm had to come off one side of the base to prevent wheel rubbing.

Finally done with the wheels & mudguards : took at least ten times as long as I initially expected;

Doors are on, had some trouble with the alignment because I built it on a slight slope. Had to brace it with ropes and drill more bolts through the uprights;

Doing some late night work on the number plate holder - it sits in a channel so it can be lifted out when stationary;

Starglider
Miles Dyson

Post by Starglider »

Type 40 TT (TARDIS Trailer) commissioned and ready for service;

I would not say 'complete', as there are numerous things still to do (e.g. stainless light towers, aluminium treadplate on the outer floors), but it is road-legal and ready to go to events as soon as I have a working tow car.

Branding is very important of course;

As is security;

Lamp test;

Was hoping to take it to the Delorean Owners Club UK event this weekend, but a vital part for the VehiCROSS was delayed, so I couldn't go. That should be fixed soon and I can get back to working on my DeLorean next month (when it comes back from the Netherlands).
Iroscato
Jedi Council Member

Re: Mobile TARDIS Replica : completed pics

Post by Iroscato »

It's...It's beautiful...
I love the little details like the keyfob, really nice work Starglider :D
Yeah, I've always taken the subtext of the Birther movement to be, "The rules don't count here! This is different! HE'S BLACK! BLACK, I SAY! ARE YOU ALL BLIND!?

- Raw Shark

Destiny and fate are for those too weak to forge their own futures. Where we are 'supposed' to be is irrelevent.

- SirNitram (RIP)
Starglider
Miles Dyson

Post by Starglider »

Chimaera wrote:It's...It's beautiful...
Heh thanks.
I love the little details like the keyfob, really nice work Starglider :D
My wife's is more series-appropriate, but she only plans to use it when we're actually at an event, wheras mine is practical and will also have all the wheel clamp, hitch lock keys etc;

You will probably get this detail on the front which is an enigma to all other viewers so far;

Iroscato
Jedi Council Member

Post by Iroscato »

Of course :wink:
How stable is it on the trailer? You don't want it falling off when it hits 88mph after all...

- Raw Shark

- SirNitram (RIP)
Starglider
Miles Dyson

Post by Starglider »

Chimaera wrote:How stable is it on the trailer? You don't want it falling off when it hits 88mph after all...
Probably more stable than a horse box (laden or unladen), as most of the weight is in the base and chassis, but still I will be taking corners slowly. The major issue is not so much the side-to-side stability, as the serious change in nose weight (effective CG) with speed, due to air drag on the sheer front. My VehiCROSS is truck-based and unlikely to have an issue with it, but the DeLorean might.
Isolder74
Official SD.Net Ace of Cakes

Post by Isolder74 »

Now you have a place to store your scarf a mile long!
Hapan Battle Dragons Rule!
When you want peace prepare for war! --Confusious
That was disapointing ..Should we show this Federation how to build a ship so we may have worthy foes? Typhonis 1
The Prince of The Writer's Guild|HAB Spacewolf Tank General| God Bless America!
InsaneTD
Jedi Knight

Post by InsaneTD »

Type 40 is the model TARDIS if my memory serves.
Darth Nostril
Jedi Knight

Post by Darth Nostril »

Starglider wrote:Probably more stable than a horse box (laden or unladen), as most of the weight is in the base and chassis, but still I will be taking corners slowly. The major issue is not so much the side-to-side stability, as the serious change in nose weight (effective CG) with speed, due to air drag on the sheer front. My VehiCROSS is truck-based and unlikely to have an issue with it, but the DeLorean might.
Get the trailer & DeLorean on flat solid ground (e.g road) and check how high the trailer hitch rides compared to the DeLoreans tow bar.
Looking at the breeze blocks you've got piled on the front of that trailer I suspect it might be a little back heavy in which case you need to think about adding some kind of permanent counterweight. It'll increase the towed weight to be sure but you do not want to even try towing a back heavy trailer, not even with the VehiCROSS.
It'll lift the back of your vehicle reducing traction on the rear wheels and when a gust of wind hits the relatively huge sail area of the Tardis it's going to make the trailer shimmy, this will 'wag' the rear of your towing vehicle and you can kiss your no-claims goodbye at the very least.
So I stare wistfully at the Lightning for a couple of minutes. Two missiles, sharply raked razor-thin wings, a huge, pregnant belly full of fuel, and the two screamingly powerful engines that once rammed it from a cold start to a thousand miles per hour in under a minute. Life would be so much easier if our adverseries could be dealt with by supersonic death on wings - but alas, Human resources aren't so easily defeated.

Imperial Battleship, halt the flow of time!

My weird shit NSFW
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

COME PICK ME UP! :lol:
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
"Mostly Harmless Nutcase"
Starglider
Miles Dyson

Post by Starglider »

For various reasons this trailer hadn't been further than our road before today, but I finally took it out for a test run. Just an hour or so on the M25 and M3, but I took it up to 60 MPH and there were no stability issues (will be keeping to 50 in general though). I did have 20 kg of concrete blocks on the front cargo area and I fitted a drop plate to the VehiCROSS tow bar to ensure the chassis stayed flat. Much less feedback to the tow vehicle than the big three-axle trailer, although there was definitely a lot of drag. Half a dozen SUVs did a slow pass with children in the back screaming and waving; I suspect some parents told their kids that it was actually Dr Who taking the TARDIS for an MOT :) When I stopped at the service station to check the coupling there was a small crowd of kids and also a couple of police officers. I thought they were going to complain that I wasn't using towing mirrors, but they just wanted to take some photos.

Needs a thorough clean and some touch up paint, so I can take it on my next trip up to Northumberland.
Starglider
Miles Dyson

Post by Starglider »

Fitted 2 x new DeLorean front wheels with 2 x Vredestein Sportrac 5 tyres. I also got someone who is good at welding to make some stainless rear parts, to replace the horrible fibreboard mock-ups;

They look good now that they are cleaned up.

I still need to dremel the cut outs for the lights, bolt in some support beams, trim the inside walls and mount them on the back of the trailer. The silver paint on the wheel arches is badly flaking, despite being flexible radiator paint; I am going to replace it with stainless-effect vinyl wrap.