The Cover Song Thread

AMP: sci-fi art, regular art, pictures, photos, comics, music, etc.

Moderator: Beowulf

Mr. Coffee
is an asshole.
Location: And banging your mom is half the battle... G.I. Joe!

Re: The Cover Song Thread

Post by Mr. Coffee »

Madonna can be made good simply by removing Madonna. Who knew?

Someone tell James Keenan that a ten year old girl have more massive pipes than his scrawny ass does. Again, who knew?

Same ten year old girl showing James LeBrie that he's a ginormous pansy as well.

ImageAWESOMEBALLImage Ball III: The ImageAWESOMEImageing. (Sub this guy, he is fucking magical)
Goddammit, now I'm forced to say in public that I agree with Mr. Coffee. - Mike Wong
I never would have thought I would wholeheartedly agree with Coffee... - fgalkin x2
Honestly, this board is so fucking stupid at times. - Thanas
GALE ForceCarwash: Oh, I'll wax that shit, bitch...
Lord Relvenous
Jedi Council Member

Post by Lord Relvenous »

Mr. Coffee wrote:

Someone tell James Keenan that a ten year old girl have more massive pipes than his scrawny ass does. Again, who knew?
I had completely forgotten about this cover. Thank you for returning me to the ways of AWESOME. Seriously, those kids fucking ImageKILLEDImage it.
Coyote: Warm it in the microwave first to avoid that 'necrophelia' effect.
J
Kaye Elle Emenopey

Post by J »

A Dolly Parton song sung by a Canadian

Everyone thinks this is a Linda Ronstadt song. It's actually written by Emmylou Harris

And now for something completely different
This post is a 100% natural organic product.
The slight variations in spelling and grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and in no way are to be considered flaws or defects

I'm not sure why people choose 'To Love is to Bury' as their wedding song...It's about a murder-suicide
- Margo Timmins

When it becomes serious, you have to lie
- Jean-Claude Juncker
JLTucker
BANNED

Post by JLTucker »

Mr. Coffee wrote:Someone tell James Keenan that a ten year old girl have more massive pipes than his scrawny ass does. Again, who knew?
I've seen this, but she can't nail the angry vocals. Therefore, your statement is false.
Mr. Coffee
is an asshole.

Post by Mr. Coffee »

JLTucker wrote:I've seen this, but she can't nail the angry vocals. Therefore, your statement is false.
Keenan couldn't summon up angry vocals if I was balls deep in his girlfriend while simultaneously drinking his last beer.
Goddammit, now I'm forced to say in public that I agree with Mr. Coffee. - Mike Wong
I never would have thought I would wholeheartedly agree with Coffee... - fgalkin x2
Lord Relvenous
Jedi Council Member

Post by Lord Relvenous »

Mr. Coffee wrote:
JLTucker wrote:I've seen this, but she can't nail the angry vocals. Therefore, your statement is false.
Keenan couldn't summon up angry vocals if I was balls deep in his girlfriend while simultaneously drinking his last beer.
Oh, stop saying things we all know to not be true just to be provocative, Coffee.
muse
Jedi Council Member

Post by muse »

J wrote:And now for something completely different
You just have to be different don't you? Well fine!

ø¤ º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum viditur.
(Whatever is said in Latin sounds profound.)

I like Celine Dion myself. Her ballads alone....they make me go all teary-eyed and shit.
- Havok
Mr. Coffee
is an asshole.

Post by Mr. Coffee »

Lord Relvenous wrote:Oh, stop saying things we all know to not be true just to be provocative, Coffee.
Name one Tool song that Keenan convincingly sings angry. Just one.

Also, really digging the harps, Muse. Nice stuff.
Lord Relvenous
Jedi Council Member

Post by Lord Relvenous »

Mr. Coffee wrote:
Lord Relvenous wrote:Oh, stop saying things we all know to not be true just to be provocative, Coffee.
Well, this is all subjective, and knowing your contratian streak I'm sure you'll disagree, but:
JLTucker
BANNED

Post by JLTucker »

Mr. Coffee wrote:
Hush, Cold and Ugly, Opiate, Bottom, Crawl Away, Flood, Forty Six & 2, Hooker with a Penis, The Grudge, Ticks and Leeches, and Jambi.
Mr. Coffee
is an asshole.

Post by Mr. Coffee »

Nope, Keenan still sounds like he's whining to me about his day when he sings. It's the entire reason I hardly listen to Tool anymore. I honestly think Tool would be greatly improved if Keenan would just shut the hell up. I get it, Tucker is patterning his life around the story of Keenan, but I honestly can't stand the whiny bastard, so to each their own.

Now, that said, I'm finding the lack of actual covers on this page disturbing.

If you aren't aware of who Steel Panther is then you're probably a communist.
TheFeniX
Sith Marauder

Post by TheFeniX »

That's a pretty good cover, but it really only made me want to load up the original. It's like trying to cover "We're not Gonna Take it." You just can't do it better than the original.

While generally considered the original, no cover can come close to the Sinatra version of Fly me to the Moon:

Honestly, there's not much he's covered I don't vastly prefer over the original or any other attempts at a cover. Damn there are some terrible versions of this song.
aerius
Charismatic Cult Leader

Post by aerius »

Gotta agree with Coffee here, Lemmy singing a song about playing cards & gambling sounds more angry than Keenan ever could.

And fucking robots playing Motorhead. The programming that makes this happen boggles my mind, I used to work with mechatronics systems and this is fucking nuts.

aerius: I'll vote for you if you sleep with me. :)
Lusankya: Deal!
Say, do you want it to be a threesome with your wife? Or a foursome with your wife and sister-in-law? I'm up for either. :P
Dr. Trainwreck
Jedi Knight

Post by Dr. Trainwreck »

Here's a cover of Sabbath Bloody Sabbath, by the Air Raid Siren himself in Ozzy's place. I respect Ozzy, but just this:

And to turn it around, here's the same ten-year-old girl from before storming Normandy:

Ποταμοῖσι τοῖσιν αὐτοῖσιν ἐμϐαίνουσιν, ἕτερα καὶ ἕτερα ὕδατα ἐπιρρεῖ. Δὶς ἐς τὸν αὐτὸν ποταμὸν οὐκ ἂν ἐμβαίης.

The seller was a Filipino called Dr. Wilson Lim, a self-declared friend of the M.I.L.F. -Grumman
Zaune
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zaune »

So, we've had covers that are faithful to the original, we've had covers that are innovative and unusual... How about one that inspires sublime comic pathos from its sheer awfulness?

To that end, I give you famous British football player Paul Gascoigne covering a Lindesfarne song.

There are hardly any excesses of the most crazed psychopath that cannot easily be duplicated by a normal kindly family man who just comes in to work every day and has a job to do.
-- (Terry Pratchett, Small Gods)

Replace "ginger" with "n*gger," and suddenly it become a lot less funny, doesn't it?
-- fgalkin

Like my writing? Tip me on Patreon

I Have A Blog
Mr. Coffee
is an asshole.

Post by Mr. Coffee »

Banjo's can' be metal, right?

WRONG, MOTHERFUCKER! Ok, that was pretty fuckin' metal, despite being a hick instrument...

Ukulele's can't be metal for certain, right?

TRY AGAIN, MOTHERFUCKER! Fuck, that didn't work...

Surely the Cello cannot be metal, right? Right? That fucking big wooden shitbuicut can't be fucking metal. I mean, serio...

OH, GODDAMNIT! Is there anything you can't play metal on?
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

That's right.
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
"Mostly Harmless Nutcase"
phred
Jedi Knight

Post by phred »

Mr. Coffee wrote:Surely the Cello cannot be metal, right? Right? That fucking big wooden shitbuicut can't be fucking metal. I mean, serio...

[snip]

OH, GODDAMNIT! Is there anything you can't play metal on?

Cellos were always metal dude
"Siege warfare, French for spawn camp" WTYP podcast

It's so bad it wraps back around to awesome then back to bad again, then back to halfway between awesome and bad. Like if ed wood directed a godzilla movie - Duckie
Darth Nostril
Jedi Knight

Post by Darth Nostril »

So I stare wistfully at the Lightning for a couple of minutes. Two missiles, sharply raked razor-thin wings, a huge, pregnant belly full of fuel, and the two screamingly powerful engines that once rammed it from a cold start to a thousand miles per hour in under a minute. Life would be so much easier if our adverseries could be dealt with by supersonic death on wings - but alas, Human resources aren't so easily defeated.

Imperial Battleship, halt the flow of time!

My weird shit NSFW
Mr. Coffee
is an asshole.

Post by Mr. Coffee »

phred wrote:Cellos were always metal dude
Well, duh. THey're basically midget upright basses. Not as rediculously fuckAWESOME as an actual upright bass...

But few things are. Especially when Pat's playing it...

Seriously, if you ever get a chance to see Horrorpops live drop whatever the fuck you are doing and go see them. Even if it's your wife giving birth to your first child, it's less important to your growth as a person than seeing Patrica Day spin a bass that's twice her size.
PhilosopherOfSorts
Jedi Master
Location: Waynesburg, PA, its small, its insignifigant, its almost West Virginia.

Post by PhilosopherOfSorts »

The Toasters' cover of Chuck Berry's "Johnny B. Goode," "Johnny Go Ska."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3mvrEXTWhoc
A fuse is a physical embodyment of zen, in order for it to succeed, it must fail.

Power to the Peaceful

If you have friends like mine, raise your glasses. If you don't, raise your standards.
Mr. Coffee
is an asshole.

Post by Mr. Coffee »

She actually made me forget why I fucking hate it when people attempt to cover this song.
TheFeniX
Sith Marauder

Post by TheFeniX »

A couple old ones:

This one always sits with me because Nirvana fans, at least when I was growing up, were the worst of the worst. I finally caved when I found a song of Kobain's I could enjoy outside of a "this doesn't move me in one way or the other" sort of way (much like I feel about Nickelback and bands of that nature)... which was obviously because he didn't write it.

This one is cheating because no one cared about the original. But I'm posting it because Cash singing about flying a starship is worth listening to at least once in your life.

Man, I need to find some new music to listen to, but everything on the radio is so damned.... happy lately, and that doesn't jive with my 90s "life is terrible" grunge rock bullshit I had to grow up with.
aerius
Charismatic Cult Leader

Post by aerius »

Removing Madonna from Madonna, again.

Some dude covers R.E.M.

TheFeniX wrote:Man, I need to find some new music to listen to, but everything on the radio is so damned.... happy lately, and that doesn't jive with my 90s "life is terrible" grunge rock bullshit I had to grow up with.
Man, what do you want, music to slit your wrists to? :lol:
I used to listen to depressing music in my youth as well, some of it stuck with me, but these days I'm perfectly fine listening to happy music.

But if you want depressing music

Cowboy Junkies cover of a traditional song
aerius: I'll vote for you if you sleep with me. :)
Lusankya: Deal!
Say, do you want it to be a threesome with your wife? Or a foursome with your wife and sister-in-law? I'm up for either. :P
Mr. Coffee
is an asshole.

Post by Mr. Coffee »

Pharrel Williams, guy writes some of the catchiest dmn hooks in music, and most of his stuff is just plain feel-good music you could easily plan the mother of all roadtrips around. Yeah, I really dig his stuff. Especially this one song, maybe y'all heard it?

If this pops up on my radio on the way to work I can rest assured it'll be a good day. It's just that positive and uplifting a jingle. That said, the METAL will not be denied...

Holyshit, that drummer is sicker than an Ebloa patient, yo. Someone better grab a hammer, because he fucking nailed it!