The art of the castrati

AMP: sci-fi art, regular art, pictures, photos, comics, music, etc.

Moderator: Beowulf

Thanas
Magister
Magister

The art of the castrati

Post by Thanas »

Cecilia Bartoli, one of my favorite singers, did something extraordinary in 2009. She attempted to revive the art of the castrati, which presented a unique challenge for her. She had previously recorded unknown, lost or suppressed music (Salieri Album and opera prohibita) but the songs of the Castrati were probably even harder. For though Salieri probably wrote the hardest - and IMO most exquisit - music ever known in opera, the Castrati songs presented a unique challenge because the castrati could sing high notes while still being able to use the bigger volume of the masculine chest.

But Bartoli succeeded and now I found the video to her project on youtube. Go check it out and listen to these long lost songs, many of which were rediscovered and recorded for the first time. This will impress nearly everyone who likes classical or baroque music and it will deeply amaze anyone who ever had formal training. I have sung Mozart's Requiem and it was child's play compared to what she does here. For example, she uses the whole range of her 2 1/2 octaves. But that is not the most impressive feat, no it is her singing coluratura for over 20 seconds while using her vocal range and without a pause inbetween.

It really makes you appreciate the beauty of this lost music and is the best evidence that despite our knowledge, we should try and look at the forgotten masters of those days. So, to all classical or vocal music fans, go check it out.

TL, dr: If you are unconvinced, go to 19:08 and then pay close attention to her. Observe when she last takes a big breath. Then try to match her from 19:30 onwards. Try again from 21:45 and 22:40 onwards. If your chest has not exploded or you have not passed out then go watch the video from the start. Then buy the CD.
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
J
Kaye Elle Emenopey

Re: The art of the castrati

Post by J »

Thank you! I know of her from our local classical music station (Classical 96.3 is amazing!) and I've enjoyed the performances of hers which they've played. I'm about halfway through the video, it's quite different than what I've heard of her to date, and I'm not sure I've heard anything similar before. I think it's going to take time and many more listening sessions to grasp the music, it's challenging, some parts are almost jarring while others are, as mentioned, very fluid and exquisite. Definitely buying the album!
This post is a 100% natural organic product.
The slight variations in spelling and grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and in no way are to be considered flaws or defects

I'm not sure why people choose 'To Love is to Bury' as their wedding song...It's about a murder-suicide
- Margo Timmins

When it becomes serious, you have to lie
- Jean-Claude Juncker
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Re: The art of the castrati

Post by Thanas »

You might also want to pick up Opera prohibita (music which was banned by the church and its authors blacklisted) and the Salieri Album, which I think to be her best.
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs