Flintknapping - anyone know how to?

AMP: sci-fi art, regular art, pictures, photos, comics, music, etc.

Moderator: Beowulf

madd0ct0r
Sith Acolyte

Flintknapping - anyone know how to?

Post by madd0ct0r »

I've recently aquired a big lump of flint and I fancy doing something with it. How do I do this in a controlled fashion?
"Aid, trade, green technology and peace." - Hans Rosling.
"Welcome to SDN, where we can't see the forest because walking into trees repeatedly feels good, bro." - Mr Coffee
Isolder74
Official SD.Net Ace of Cakes

Re: Flintknapping - anyone know how to?

Post by Isolder74 »

You will need a piece of large thick leather. A piece that is supple enough to wrap around your piece of flint.

You will also need a large round hammer stone made of something like granite or other hard stone. You will also find a piece of deer antler very useful for when you get to doing finishing work.

Firmly hold the flint with your hard while it is wrapped in the leather. Examine it for cracks etc. Carefully use your hammer stone to break flakes from the stone and slowly work to make it into your planned tool shape. When you have it close to the final shape, use the antler to lever off smaller and smaller bits of stome until you have your finished tool.
Hapan Battle Dragons Rule!
When you want peace prepare for war! --Confusious
That was disapointing ..Should we show this Federation how to build a ship so we may have worthy foes? Typhonis 1
The Prince of The Writer's Guild|HAB Spacewolf Tank General| God Bless America!
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

Here is a prior, somewhat related thread pointing you to YouTube and internet resources on the subject.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
Imperial Overlord
Emperor's Hand

Post by Imperial Overlord »

I've only worked with obsidian, but it's not hard. The more practice you get, the faster and better at it you'll become. Don't worry about wrecking a piece, because it will happen. The pieces tend to get repurposed into candidates for small tools (broken spearheads become arrowheads, etcetera.)
The Excellent Prismatic Spray. For when you absolutely, positively must kill a motherfucker. Accept no substitutions. Contact a magician of the later Aeons for details. Some conditions may apply.