Slightly Crazy Model Ship Idea

AMP: sci-fi art, regular art, pictures, photos, comics, music, etc.

Moderator: Beowulf

Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Slightly Crazy Model Ship Idea

Post by Eternal_Freedom »

This all started as one of those "wouldn't it be cool if..." conversations in the pub. Basically, how feasible would it be to construct a remote control aircraft carrier large enough to launch and recover remote control aircraft? A bloke at my local model boat show has a 1:72 RC USS Ronald Reagan (complete with Airfix air group) which is quite impressive but I think it would need to be bigger.

I suspect it would have to be a WW2 carrier design since prop-driven RC planes are a lot easier than model jets and you don't need catapaults.

The other idea was a similar-scaled dreadnought, using CO2 powered BB pistol barrels as the main battery. The idea being you can have two such ships and fight a simulated duel, complete with smoke charges and so on to simulate damage.

Are either of these ideas feasible or should it remain a drunken idea?
Baltar: "I don't want to miss a moment of the last Battlestar's destruction!"
Centurion: "Sir, I really think you should look at the other Battlestar."
Baltar: "What are you babbling about other...it's impossible!"
Centurion: "No. It is a Battlestar."

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
Starglider
Miles Dyson

Re: Slightly Crazy Model Ship Idea

Post by Starglider »

You would have to build it the size of a (small) speedboat. So doable but thousands to tens of thousands of dollars depending on how much scrap/junk material you use and how accurate its supposed to be. There are existing groups that do R/C battleship combat, they use balsa hull sides and actually sink the ships with the BB guns (all important parts are waterproofed, float is used for recovery). Don't think that would scale practically to speedboat size.
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

I thought the carrier would have to be big. I didn't realise the battleship idea was actually done, that's pretty sweet.

Oh well, I guess the supersize carrier will have to wait until a) I win the lottery and b) I find a bunch of model makers to do it justice.

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
madd0ct0r
Sith Acolyte

Post by madd0ct0r »

what about using the new helicopter drone toys coming out? It'll still be a LONG model, but in terms of width, height and displacement it might be more manageable.
As for what to make it out of - polysterene block, attach exterior panels.
"Aid, trade, green technology and peace." - Hans Rosling.
"Welcome to SDN, where we can't see the forest because walking into trees repeatedly feels good, bro." - Mr Coffee
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

So build a helicopter carrier instead? Interesting idea.

Beowulf
The Patrician

Post by Beowulf »

Eternal_Freedom wrote:So build a helicopter carrier instead? Interesting idea.
You could do a Iwo Jima class or similar. Be a bit over 8 feet long at 1/72 scale, which still is fairly large...
"preemptive killing of cops might not be such a bad idea from a personal saftey[sic] standpoint..." --Keevan Colton
"There's a word for bias you can't see: Yours." -- William Saletan
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

That sounds about the size I was considering. And at 1:72 it would be "small" enough that you could get it into a van (or a car if you built it in sections).