Took a flight in a B-17

AMP: sci-fi art, regular art, pictures, photos, comics, music, etc.

Moderator: Beowulf

Borgholio
Sith Acolyte

Took a flight in a B-17

Post by Borgholio »

So, yeah. Most fun I ever had in the air in my life. They also have a B-24 and a B-25, plus a P-51 trainer and an ME-262. I have a lot of tickets to buy in the coming years.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=64 ... 7027708537

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=64 ... 9749630706

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=64 ... 2978325283
You will be assimilated...bunghole!
Soontir C'boath
SG-14: Fuck the Medic!
Location: Queens, NYC I DON'T FUCKING CARE IF MANHATTEN IS CONSIDERED NYC!! I'M IN IT ASSHOLE!!!

Re: Took a flight in a B-17

Post by Soontir C'boath »

Who are they?
I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in his stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen's Counciler or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate, who is more devoted to "order" than to justice; who constantly says: "I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I cannot agree with your methods of direct action"; who paternalistically believes he can set the timetable for another man's freedom; who lives by a mythical concept of time and who constantly advises the Negro to wait for a "more convenient season."
Borgholio
Sith Acolyte

Post by Borgholio »

Scottish Ninja
Jedi Knight

Post by Scottish Ninja »

Very cool! I went up to go see the EAA's Aluminum Overcast while it was up at Waukegan Regional Airport last week; too poor to fly but got the chance to poke around it on the ground at least.

It makes the kind of impact on you that no amount of reading can.
"If the flight succeeds, you swipe an absurd amount of prestige for a single mission. Heroes of the Zenobian Onion will literally rain upon you." - PeZook
"If the capsule explodes, heroes of the Zenobian Onion will still rain upon us. Literally!" - Shroom
Cosmonaut Ivan Ivanovich Ivanov (deceased, rain), Cosmonaut Petr Petrovich Petrov, Unnamed MASA Engineer, and Unnamed Zenobian Engineerski in Let's play: BARIS
Captain, MFS Robber Baron, PRFYNAFBTFC - "Absolute Corruption Powers Absolutely"
Borgholio
Sith Acolyte

Post by Borgholio »

Yeah, they fly out of a museum which has a fair number of other planes on exhibit. Even on the ground, they're imposing. If you can afford it, I highly suggest that at some point you take a flight up in one.
Alyeska
Federation Ambassador

Post by Alyeska »

That group flew through my area some years back. Brought a B-25, B-24, and B-17. Never got a chance to ride. Lucky guy. 8)
"If the facts are on your side, pound on the facts. If the law is on your side, pound on the law. If neither is on your side, pound on the table."

"The captain claimed our people violated a 4,000 year old treaty forbidding us to develop hyperspace technology. Extermination of our planet was the consequence. The subject did not survive interrogation."
Borgholio
Sith Acolyte

Post by Borgholio »

Tickets are $450 a pop for a 30 min flight...not bad at all given what you can do. We're allowed full access to the plane (except the lower ball turret and the aft turret, for obvious reasons). They even let you (briefly) interact with the pilots and ask questions. The best part for me was being able to stick my head out of the top hatch, which they left open to help keep the plane cool. One hell of a view, I have to say.

Oh, and the Norden Bombsight still works. I pretended I was doing a bombing run on an oil rig. :-P
Isolder74
Official SD.Net Ace of Cakes

Post by Isolder74 »

I live near Hill Air Force base. I get to see air show groups rehearsing while flying practice runs of their show routines. It's fun to see all of the classic aircraft flying about. Also they have for the Forest Service a B-17 fitted as a fire Bomber they use in my area.
Hapan Battle Dragons Rule!
When you want peace prepare for war! --Confusious
That was disapointing ..Should we show this Federation how to build a ship so we may have worthy foes? Typhonis 1
The Prince of The Writer's Guild|HAB Spacewolf Tank General| God Bless America!
Wicked Pilot
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Wicked Pilot »

I'm jealous even though I know I shouldn't be. I've gotten to fly/fly on some cool planes myself.
The most basic assumption about the world is that it does not contradict itself.
Borgholio
Sith Acolyte

Post by Borgholio »

I really do feel sorry for people who don't like to fly. It's just...fun. There's really no other way to describe it when you're thousands of feet above everything else.
Alyeska
Federation Ambassador

Post by Alyeska »

Borgholio wrote:I really do feel sorry for people who don't like to fly. It's just...fun. There's really no other way to describe it when you're thousands of feet above everything else.
Turbulence in a small plane flying through a storm in a mountain pass. One of the scariest flights I've ever been on.
"If the facts are on your side, pound on the facts. If the law is on your side, pound on the law. If neither is on your side, pound on the table."

"The captain claimed our people violated a 4,000 year old treaty forbidding us to develop hyperspace technology. Extermination of our planet was the consequence. The subject did not survive interrogation."
Irbis
Jedi Council Member

Post by Irbis »

Hey, that's really nice. Best I can compare to this was one quick 10 min round in old Soviet transport plane over city in a show, but we spent that time in seat (rather uncomfy) certainly without cool views, all the reconstructed arms and atmosphere. Pity it's so rare good!