Colour correcting/grading old movies to modern day look?

AMP: sci-fi art, regular art, pictures, photos, comics, music, etc.

Moderator: Beowulf

ray245
Emperor's Hand

Colour correcting/grading old movies to modern day look?

Post by ray245 »

I was wondering if anyone knew about any projects whereby people colour grade/correct older movies/TV shows from the 70s and 80s to give them a more "modern" look and contrast?

I find it interesting to see how some of the classic movies would look like if it was shot in modern day with the benefits of digital software.
Humans are such funny creatures. We are selfish about selflessness, yet we can love something so much that we can hate something.
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Re: Colour correcting/grading old movies to modern day look?

Post by Lord Revan »

well I'd think it's simply not cost effective since you'd have to do alot of speculation since even a top quality film can't give you information that isn't there.
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n
salm
Rabid Monkey

Re: Colour correcting/grading old movies to modern day look?

Post by salm »

Lord Revan wrote:well I'd think it's simply not cost effective since you'd have to do alot of speculation since even a top quality film can't give you information that isn't there.
Lots information is there in the raw footage. Movies as well as Photos have been color graded for ages. Not too long ago analog formats had a higher dynamic range than was possible to extract from digital formats.