Panzer tries making military banners (Maybe 56k unfriendly)

AMP: sci-fi art, regular art, pictures, photos, comics, music, etc.

Moderator: Beowulf

Panzersharkcat
Jedi Council Member

Panzer tries making military banners (Maybe 56k unfriendly)

Post by Panzersharkcat »

Banners for a Fallout 3 mod I'm in the middle of making. I'm still writing the script for it (currently on its 46th single space page) but one of my team has started making armor for them. They're a neo-Byzantine empire and I thought it'd be nice to show off some of the units in their military. Most of these will probably show up in the mod. At tourma/tagma level and above, in the structure I have for them, they'll have unique emblems. Crossed cannons are artillery units; crossed rifles are Evzones; crossed spears are light cavalry; crossed gladii are infantry; and a scutum with Chi Rho represents cataphract units. Cavalry units won't appear in-game because I sort of lack the resources and animations to do that. Trying to think of emblems for the Carabisian and Palestinian themes at the moment, as well as fixing up the ones for the Anatolic and Italian themes. The Carabisian one will probably be a dromon. Not sure about the Palestinian one, though.
Omega Kentarchia, 1st Artillery Droungos, 12th Infantry Tourma, Anatolic Theme
Zeta Kentarchia, 18th Infantry Droungos, 12th Infantry Tourma, Anatolic Theme
Beta Kentarchia, 1st Evzones Droungos, 1st Evzones Tourma
2nd Cataphract Bandon, 3rd Cavalry Tagma, Anatolic Theme
Lamda Hekatontarchia, 36th Doryphoroi Bandon, 3rd Cavalry Tagma, Anatolic Theme
Hellenic Theme
Italian Theme, rough draft. Not entirely happy with it since the crowns aren't quite even. My alternate emblem was a Chi Rho and that was already used for the cataphracts. Another alternate was a galea and Greek for "Alea jacta est."
Anatolic Theme, rough draft. Not entirely happy with it, either. My alternate was the Trojan horse but I wasn't sure what motto to use. There was also Greek for "Vini, Vidi, Viki" but finding an appropriate emblem for it was problematic.
"I'm just reading through your formspring here, and your responses to many questions seem to indicate that you are ready and willing to sacrifice realism/believability for the sake of (sometimes) marginal increases in gameplay quality. Why is this?"
"Because until I see gamers sincerely demanding that if they get winged in the gut with a bullet that they spend the next three hours bleeding out on the ground before permanently dying, they probably are too." - J.E. Sawyer
Sea Skimmer
Yankee Capitalist Air Pirate

Re: Panzer tries making military banners (Maybe 56k unfriend

Post by Sea Skimmer »

They seem kind of plain to be honest, like its a job 75% done but they aren't gaudy enough yet; though if this is for a mod then I dunno what the actual display resolution is going to be and if more detail would even show up?
"This cult of special forces is as sensible as to form a Royal Corps of Tree Climbers and say that no soldier who does not wear its green hat with a bunch of oak leaves stuck in it should be expected to climb a tree"
— Field Marshal William Slim 1956
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

The gladius is anachronistic, Byzantine forces used the spatha and (in case of elite units) maces.
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Panzersharkcat
Jedi Council Member

Post by Panzersharkcat »

I couldn't find crossed spathas that were free to use so I hand waved it as a bit of looking at their western Roman heritage as well. It fits as an explanation since the name of the state is in Latin (Novus Imperium Romanum) but everything else is in Greek. That was why I was asking about Roman castra in Testing beside me thinking it's a simple and logical design for fortifications. It's also one explanation, in story, for why they're a bit plain from looking at examples of Roman vexilla. The other was from looking at examples of US military guidons. The real reason, obviously, is that I'm not that skilled in creating my own emblems.
"I'm just reading through your formspring here, and your responses to many questions seem to indicate that you are ready and willing to sacrifice realism/believability for the sake of (sometimes) marginal increases in gameplay quality. Why is this?"
"Because until I see gamers sincerely demanding that if they get winged in the gut with a bullet that they spend the next three hours bleeding out on the ground before permanently dying, they probably are too." - J.E. Sawyer
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Just take a normal spatha image, revert it, then put them together?
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Panzersharkcat
Jedi Council Member

Post by Panzersharkcat »

I suppose. It's what I did for the M1 Garand. I did have some trouble finding an image that was free to use, though. Had similar trouble with a spatha and an outline of the Arch of Titus.