[3D model] Space Station

AMP: sci-fi art, regular art, pictures, photos, comics, music, etc.

Moderator: Beowulf

Skywalker_T-65
Jedi Council Member

[3D model] Space Station

Post by Skywalker_T-65 »

I've been a bit bored lately, so I decided I would try my hand at designing a space-station/space port/stardock (take your pick term wise). So far I've only made an overall shape, and I'm not even sure if it works or not.

Thoughts? I'm envisioning (since this is a SW setting I'm making it for) that each of the ring's docks can hold an ISD. Though I feel they need some work.

(I know I already have the 'Skywalker plays with Blender' thread. I started this since its something more serious than just playing around in Blender)
SDNW5: Republic of Arcadia...Sweden in SPAAACE
Cosmic Average
Jedi Knight

Re: [3D model] Space Station

Post by Cosmic Average »

I wouldn't use the large square in the middle... Since you're just starting out, I suggest making it simpler and less cluttered.

Did you use the extrude function to make the holes in the torus? You might want to put a lip on them so that it doesn't look so cut away.... It would give the walls of the torus some measure of thickness as well. And you might want to try extruding any connecting pieces directly from the model, Like so:

You don't have to, of course. You could have intersecting pieces... Like this one:

phred
Jedi Knight

Post by phred »

I agree with Cosmic. Either take out the square in the middle, or make it a more solid piece.
"Siege warfare, French for spawn camp" WTYP podcast

It's so bad it wraps back around to awesome then back to bad again, then back to halfway between awesome and bad. Like if ed wood directed a godzilla movie - Duckie
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Post by Eternal_Freedom »

I like the overall shape but it looks too, well, 2D. It's in space, up and down works too.

And if you do take Cosmic's suggestion of using those intersecting pieces, the raised joins would make good mounts for weapon turrets.
Baltar: "I don't want to miss a moment of the last Battlestar's destruction!"
Centurion: "Sir, I really think you should look at the other Battlestar."
Baltar: "What are you babbling about other...it's impossible!"
Centurion: "No. It is a Battlestar."

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
Skywalker_T-65
Jedi Council Member

Post by Skywalker_T-65 »

Thanks for the comments guys. I put the square in the middle mostly as a placeholder. Easy enough to remove it. And I was planning on adding more to the top/bottom eventually, I'm just trying to get the overall shape first. Should have a modified pic up later today if all goes well.
Darth Tanner
Jedi Master

Post by Darth Tanner »

Does the Star Destroyer enter the bays in the Torus or sit in the middle of them?

I'd get rid of the square as people have said and replace the central torus with a bulky central station. Bulk out the arms as well.
Get busy living or get busy dying... unless there’s cake.
Skywalker_T-65
Jedi Council Member

Post by Skywalker_T-65 »

Enters the bays. The scale is hard to tell without something smaller next to it. I can make a little triangle in the next render to represent an ISD scale ship.

Hmm...a central station...that actually might work better.

*adds to growing idea list*
Skywalker_T-65
Jedi Council Member

Post by Skywalker_T-65 »

An attempt at fixing the problems with the torus. Note, I haven't done anything else beyond deleting the square yet. As I add more, I'll add more renders.

EDIT: ....that came out a lot closer to Cosmic's than I had intended...
Cosmic Average
Jedi Knight

Post by Cosmic Average »

Skywalker_T-65 wrote:An attempt at fixing the problems with the torus.
You might want to flatten the top and bottom of the torus and smooth the sides.
Skywalker_T-65 wrote:EDIT: ....that came out a lot closer to Cosmic's than I had intended...
Well, that's to be expected. We are using the same program, after all. ;)