Vacation pictures - Hawai'i (33 MB of pictures)

AMP: sci-fi art, regular art, pictures, photos, comics, music, etc.

Moderator: Beowulf

TimothyC
Of Sector 2814

Vacation pictures - Hawai'i (33 MB of pictures)

Post by TimothyC »

View out the hotel room on Waikiki:

Iolani Palace:

Ali'iolani Hale & King Kamehameha:

Downtown Honolulu:

Punchbowl Cemetary:

Looking down from Puchbowl

Missouri & Arizona Memorial:

Arizona Memorial:

View from the Arizona:

Missouri & Arizona Memorial:

USS Missouri:

Diamond Head:

MS Pride of America:

Diamond Head & Waikiki:

View from MS Pride of America:

Iao Needle:

Iao Valley:

West Maui:

Haleakala Vistor's Center:

The following series was shot at Sunrise over Haleakala:

Silverswords, Native only to Haleakala:

Me, at the Summit:

Looking back at the summit from one of the lower visitor centers:

Nene Goose!:

Showing just how narrow the island gets:

Bird of Paradise:

Biomass power plant (most agricultural processing plants on Hawai'i are biomass):

Kilauea:

Lava Tree (formed when the lava hardened around the tree before the tree burned):

The tree that colonizes new lava fields:

The rift that formed the field we were on:

A lava tube:

Inside of the same:

A series showing the lava tubes leading from Kilauea dow to the sea:

Wild Coffee:

Cat Likes Monopod:

Coffee Processing:

The road down to Kona:

The Ship:

Looking back up the mountain:

A bird:

Fish catching pods:

Turtle!:

Coming into port at Kauai:

Scenic overlook:

The Grand Canyon of the Pacific:

A Waterfall:

Mount Wailalela

Up and down the coast from a park:

A tunnel cut by one of the sugar cane companies. It saved the trucks nine miles and 45 minutes of driving:

One of the fields in Jurassic Park:

A Wood Rose:

Na Pali Coast:

The one place in Hawai'i that doesn't talk about history post 1890 (I'm off the ship and back on O'ahu at this point):

A park we went to on the south-west part of O'ahu

A map of airfields circa 1944 in Honolulu International:
"I believe in the future. It is wonderful because it stands on what has been achieved." - Sergei Korolev
Alyeska
Federation Ambassador

Re: Vacation pictures - Hawai'i (33 MB of pictures)

Post by Alyeska »

You didn't spend enough time on Kauai ;)

I spent New Years 2011/2012 on Kauai and it was freaking incredible. Rented a small house just 100 feet from the ocean. Got to watch the sun set every evening for a week.

The Napali coast is incredible. The one section of the island with no roads at all. Very rugged and hostile.

Surprised you didn't snap some photos of the chickens. I loved watching those guys. Strangely fascinating that chickens roam wild.
"If the facts are on your side, pound on the facts. If the law is on your side, pound on the law. If neither is on your side, pound on the table."

"The captain claimed our people violated a 4,000 year old treaty forbidding us to develop hyperspace technology. Extermination of our planet was the consequence. The subject did not survive interrogation."
TimothyC
Of Sector 2814

Post by TimothyC »

Alyeska wrote:You didn't spend enough time on Kauai ;)
I was on the Cruise that does the loop around the islands so I was only there for a day and a half - but as you can see, I did get to see the top of Mt. Waialeale. :D
Alyeska wrote:Surprised you didn't snap some photos of the chickens. I loved watching those guys. Strangely fascinating that chickens roam wild.
I did (I took a good 600+ pictures - fewer than the number I took in Alaska, but of a higher average quality), but I didn't think they warranted inclusion in the photoset.
"I believe in the future. It is wonderful because it stands on what has been achieved." - Sergei Korolev
tim31
Sith Devotee

Post by tim31 »

All those photos of you in Hawaii and not one of them showing you in a swimsuit at the beach. For shame!
lol, opsec doesn't apply to fanfiction. -Aaron

PRFYNAFBTFC
CAPTAIN OF MFS SAMMY HAGAR
ImageImage
Alyeska
Federation Ambassador

Post by Alyeska »

TimothyC wrote:I was on the Cruise that does the loop around the islands so I was only there for a day and a half - but as you can see, I did get to see the top of Mt. Waialeale. :D
It was shrouded by clouds every day I was there. Which is pretty common since it gets anywhere from 400 to 600 inches of rain per year.

Glad you got to visit Waimea canyon. Its incredible to see what rainfall has done. That wasn't an upthrust like the Grand Canyon. Just pure rainfall erosion. And I am jealous you got to go around the Napali coast. I didn't take any boats, so I only saw the edge of the coast from one of the mountain tops.

My stay was restricted to Kauai. You got to visit Pearl and Kilauea. Lucky dog.
I did (I took a good 600+ pictures - fewer than the number I took in Alaska, but of a higher average quality), but I didn't think they warranted inclusion in the photoset.
Awesome photos man. Thanks for sharing with us. Loved the sunrise set.
"If the facts are on your side, pound on the facts. If the law is on your side, pound on the law. If neither is on your side, pound on the table."

"The captain claimed our people violated a 4,000 year old treaty forbidding us to develop hyperspace technology. Extermination of our planet was the consequence. The subject did not survive interrogation."
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Makes me want to go there......
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Alyeska
Federation Ambassador

Post by Alyeska »

Interesting info on a little known island of Hawaii. The island of Niihau and the Niihau Incident.

The island of Niihau is privately owned by the Robinson family and is maintained for the traditional Hawaiian way of life. Non Hawaiians may not live on the island and rarely get to visit.

The Niihau incident happened immediately after Pearl Harbor. A Japanese airplane that participated on the attack on Pearl crashed on Niihau. Several of the Issei living on the island actively aided the pilot and the Niihau incident was almost certainly a significant factor in the Internment of Japanese.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Niihau_Incident

Niihau is visible from Kauai. I got to watch the sun set very near the island every night.

Alyeska
Federation Ambassador

Post by Alyeska »

PainRack
Emperor's Hand

Post by PainRack »

Nice
Let him land on any Lyran world to taste firsthand the wrath of peace loving people thwarted by the myopic greed of a few miserly old farts- Katrina Steiner