Time Machine

AMP: sci-fi art, regular art, pictures, photos, comics, music, etc.

Moderator: Beowulf

Starglider
Miles Dyson

Time Machine

Post by Starglider »

Some concept sketches for DeLorean time machine props : overall theme is 'second improved time machine built by Doc in late 80s'

(note : vehicle is RHD so sides are reversed versus original)

Ideas welcome.
Starglider
Miles Dyson

Re: Time Machine

Post by Starglider »

Some more ideas... flux boxes (at the ends of the metal bands) :

Wormhole emitter (boxy thing top center) :

Although in retrospect 1 watt is probably excessive.
TimothyC
Of Sector 2814

Post by TimothyC »

I like it, although I agree that a one watt laser is probably a bit too much.
"I believe in the future. It is wonderful because it stands on what has been achieved." - Sergei Korolev
Starglider
Miles Dyson

Post by Starglider »

Construction underway on the DeLorean;

As you can see, at a very early stage. Some of the parts that have arrived are quite neat on their own though;

Engine is currently in a large number of small pieces, but the target is a reasonably accurate modern reproduction of the original (Legend Industries) twin turbo prototypes, similar to this;

albeit with a semi-modern digital ECU as the old analog electronic fuel injection is just a bugger to tune under boost.
Starglider
Miles Dyson

Post by Starglider »

No more photos yet but construction of the chasis and electrical system is now under way. Here is the spec for this build;

Basic configuration for DeLorean DMC-12 :
* Manual (5-speed), grey interior
* Early windscreen (for appearance) plus rear power aerial (for functionality).
* Early style dash digital clock
* Dash vents and radio slot swapped around (to allow pop-up screen) : also added airbox intake filter mesh
* Right-hand-drive conversion (completed following Wooler Hodec pattern).
* Dealer options : small grey side stripe, luggage rack, cargo net, floor mats

Upgraded / aftermarket parts :
* Twin-turbo 2.85l V6 based on the original Legend Industries prototypes, but with EFI for more reliability
* Rear intercooler air scoops based on the ITAL Design concept for production turbo DeLorean
* Eibach euro-spec springs, Spax shocks, improved sway bar, front tower brace strut, reinforced lower control arms
* All-around sports brake upgrades (calipers + discs)
* All suspension bushings upgraded to poly, trailing arm bolts upgraded to stainless steel
* Three row brass / copper radiator with metal ends + upgraded low current fans + air dam
* 140 Amp alternator and high power low-noise fuel pump
* All exterior + cabin lights replaced with SuperBrightLEDs, with PWM courtesty light dimmer module
* All cooling/brake/clutch/fuel hoses sillicone and/or with stainless braided covers (as applicable).
* Air bleeders on the coolant + clutch lines.
* Fibreglass front + rear fascias (gloss finnish with stiffeners); rear to have 'twin turbo' moulded into it.
* Wings-A-Loft remote locking / door opening w/trunk release, battery isolator
* Electronic replacements for fan/fan fail relays (no RPM relay) + headlight switch saver relay
* Much stronger fuse panel with light-up-on-fail fuses + improved earth wire (SpecialTAuto)
* Soft-lift gas struts with SS mounting reinforcement plates
* Two-tone grey seat covers (from SpecialTAuto), also DMC logo steering wheel center patch
* Improved cargo area sound insulation + sound insulation in wheel arches
* Cabin speakers upgraded to Infinity 329CF fronts + Infinity 529I rears
* LED-lit VGA 7" flip-up monitor in dash w/integrated radio
* Front + rear four channel ultrasonic parking sensors, third brake light
* Lots of stainless bits : engine grills, rock screen, rear logo, coolant tank, assorted brackets,
de-ice cover, throttle cover, coil cover, warning & information plates, oil drain plug etc
* LED illuminated shifter plate + stainless shifter knob
* EL ilumination of door sills (with stainless background) + rear 'DeLorean' & 'twin-turbo' badges
* Bracket for detachable tow hook w/ weatherproof stainless electrical socket.
* Center console switch array upgraded with five single-touch colour changing illuminated
switches with ss cap (windows x 2, demist, fog, wheels road/hover mode (aux lighting)).
* 4-port powered USB3 hubs integrated into center console and glovebox.
* Waterless engine coolant (glycol based)
* Subwoofer in cubbyhole door, 4 x external marine speakers (2 behind grill, 2 to go on engine deck).
* Electric power steering, cruise control, dual-temp heated seats

Will make a car PC later, and probably add a backup camera. Also trying to source some slightly larger but otherwise stock appearing wheels.
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

Wait, you are actually building a DeLorean?
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
"Mostly Harmless Nutcase"
Starglider
Miles Dyson

Post by Starglider »

Havok wrote:Wait, you are actually building a DeLorean?
Pretty much yes, although I have contracted out all the hard parts to appropriately qualified engineers.

A little known fact is that although the DeLorean DMC-12 was released in the US with a rather underpowered 130hp version of the PRV V6, three twin-turbo prototypes were made by Legend Industries with approx 280hp. One of those was destroyed by fire in the late 80s, I have acquired the engine from it and I am having it professionally rebuilt with the closest approximation modern components (although the fuel injection will be modern digital rather than the original analog continuous).

Another little known fact about the DeLorean is that 20 right hand drive prototypes were authorised, to be built by a company called Wooler Hodec, but only 12 were completed. I am working with an engineer who managed to salvage the frame and some body parts from some of the uncompleted cars, he is now completing it as an RHD car with brand new fibreglass tub + stainless steel body.

I am doing design, transport of components between UK and Netherlands, and some electrics. As you can see from the list above, many components have been upgraded from the original spec. Just added a limited slip differential and uprated gearbox input shaft (from the Lotus V8 retrofit kit).
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

Fuckin' A dude. Rock on.
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
salm
Rabid Monkey

Post by salm »

That´s awesome. Why didn´t I see this before. :shock:
Starglider
Miles Dyson

Post by Starglider »

Here's a recognisable part;

Mounting and details will be somewhat different from the original though.
Starglider
Miles Dyson

Post by Starglider »

Chasis & suspension is slowly coming together;

Looking into adding a rear anti-roll bar (the DMC-12 only has a front one but Lotus were apparently testing a rear one for it). Gearbox rebuild in Jan, engine rebuild in Feb / March.
Starglider
Miles Dyson

Post by Starglider »

Engine block is cleaned up and ready for reassembly;

Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

Gawd that thing is shiny. What is it coated in?
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
Starglider
Miles Dyson

Post by Starglider »

Havok wrote:Gawd that thing is shiny. What is it coated in?
Chrome-effect powder coating. It's more durable (less likely to flake under temperature cycling) than actual chrome plating.
Starglider
Miles Dyson

Post by Starglider »

Making progress with the electronics. Turbos are bolted onto the engine and plumbed for oil;

Also since it is an 80s car, the fact that it has turbos must be proclaimed on every available surface;

Plus I finally found the correct Aiwa walkman to go in my props collection;

(not in pics; I have an accurate lenticular hoverboard not the Mattel junk, I only have cheap replica Nike Mags though not the insanely expensive official ones)
DieselJester
Youngling

Post by DieselJester »

Oh man, this thing is awesome! :)
"Incoming Fire has the right of way."
-Murphy's 18th Law of Combat.
Starglider
Miles Dyson

Post by Starglider »

Working on wiring, all bulbs except one have been replaced with LEDs. Lots of extra wires, in this case a separate ground for the instrument panel illumination lights so they can be PWM dimmed (works on the - side, original rheostat dimming is LED-incompatible and worked on the + side).

Windows phone camera always seems to blur the image indoors even if held steady.
Starglider
Miles Dyson

Post by Starglider »

It's coming along;

I've added several new relays to unload various switches; e.g. I've fitted a Bosch two-tone horn that uses twice the current of the original (wimpy) design, didn't want to risk damaging the contacts. The large black connector in the boot area is for the entertainment computer & control module; most pins will connect through to assorted lights on the exterior props via a similar connector just under the engine cover.

Sad to say, the main reason why my Xbox 360 game hasn't been progressing is the amount of time spent on this project. The major reason why I started building this in the first place was that I really wanted to do something more physical; mostly electronics but also some crafting and (non-safety-critical) mechanical work. I've been pulling so much overtime doing commercial programming that I kind of lost the motivation to do even more programming on the game.
Starglider
Miles Dyson

Post by Starglider »

Front end is starting to look more like a car;

The fascias are fibreglass replicas of the thermoplastic originals (made by PJ Grady Europe); stronger and avoids the heat warping problem that causes 'eyebrows' in most original DMC-12s. The support structure is all stainless (the original had a lot of mild steel brackets, nuts etc which are potential rust issues).
Starglider
Miles Dyson

Post by Starglider »

Towing the DeLorean with my Vehicross (and trailer);

The car is now at DMC Europe for engine install & tuning.
cosmicalstorm
Jedi Council Member

Post by cosmicalstorm »

This is amazing to watch come true in Slow-Mo. Congratulations on being so capable of getting something done!
Starglider
Miles Dyson

Post by Starglider »

cosmicalstorm wrote:Congratulations on being so capable of getting something done!
Thanks, I still feel guilty about suspending work on Windhaven, but I just needed a project in my life that wasn't computer based.
FSTargetDrone
Emperor's Hand

Post by FSTargetDrone »

This is incredible! And forget feeling guilty. There is a lot to be said for taking a break and letting imagination take you elsewhere for awhile when inspiration or desire fails you in other areas. If you continued on with it, the Windhaven project would probably just suffer for it.

And put a link to this thread in your sig already! :D
Starglider
Miles Dyson

Post by Starglider »

Not much progress but a couple of pics in the sunlight;

Starglider
Miles Dyson

Post by Starglider »

Still making slow but steady progress. Seat covers are done (headrest logo is a reference to the small engineering company that made the original turbo DeLorean prototypes, sadly long since bankrupt);

Custom stainless exhaust tips (still need a bit of cleanup);