Time Machine

AMP: sci-fi art, regular art, pictures, photos, comics, music, etc.

Moderator: Beowulf

Starglider
Miles Dyson

Re: Time Machine

Post by Starglider »

Engine and transmission mounted in the car.

Starglider
Miles Dyson

Post by Starglider »

Ignition and fuel systems are complete;

Starglider
Miles Dyson

Post by Starglider »

Took the car to the Netherlands for dyno tuning;

Revealed problems with the crankshaft, gearbox, coils, fuel and coolant lines. Car was making 240hp at the wheels with an initial tune (standard manual DeLorean is 90 to 100), but the guys weren't able to tune it properly with all the issues; will have to go back later this year when everything is fixed. Unfortunately the trip also killed the engine on my VehiCROSS (developed a leak inside the block, crank case flooded with coolant after returning), so that now needs an engine rebuild or ideally swap.
Crossroads Inc.
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crossroads Inc. »

Bloody Hell, it is really coming together!!!

God I remember how it was just a heap of parts in the start... And now, WOW It looks like a REAL time machine!!!
Praying is another way of doing nothing helpful
"Congratulations, you get a cookie. You almost got a fundamental English word correct." Pick
"Outlaw star has spaceships that punch eachother" Joviwan
Read "Tales From The Crossroads"!
Read "One Wrong Turn"!
Starglider
Miles Dyson

Post by Starglider »

One word that could have saved DeLorean Motor Cars, if they'd gotten it to market in time (well, maybe, but it's nice to dream);

Also UK spec rear foglights under construction, using spare brake light lenses from a defunct tail light assembly.
Starglider
Miles Dyson

Post by Starglider »

Making the spoiler mock-up :

Clay part will be fibreglass (blended with fascia), cardboard part will be stainless :

Construction of the Tardis replica (for the trailer) is also underway.
Starglider
Miles Dyson

Post by Starglider »

Air scoop and spoiler mount. Scoop will have stainless mesh in it to stop leaves etc getting in.

Closeup on fibreglass spoiler mount; mounting lugs are stainless.

Rear view, ready for fascia painting.

Exhaust tip & foglight area;

Closeup : the small round holes are for the ultrasonic parking sensors;

Legend Industries themed seat (only the driver's is mounted ATM);

Interior is still a mess : subwoofer is fitted though.

Added this scoop, reversed to make a vent, for additional cooling of the coil area. Will be fibreglassed over and painted to match, also stainless mesh inserted to match the air scoops;

Two exterior speakers mounted in the void behind the license plate holder (safe to do so with the relocated mufflers), outer grill not yet fitted;

Two more exterior speakers going behind the grill (will have small holes drilled in the valleys for sound permeability);

Two more attached to the radiator support struts; driver's side is close to the brake master.

The last pair will be facing the rear wheel wells, probably attached to the towbar mounting structure.
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

I love checking in on this project.

Looking great man.
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
"Mostly Harmless Nutcase"
Mr. Coffee
is an asshole.
Location: And banging your mom is half the battle... G.I. Joe!

Post by Mr. Coffee »

Two words...

FUCKING AWESOME.

Starglider, you're truly doing the Lord's work here. Please tell me you bought yourself the same outfit Micheal J. Fox wore in BttF and have a good stand-in for Doc for pictures when this project is completed.
Goddammit, now I'm forced to say in public that I agree with Mr. Coffee. - Mike Wong
I never would have thought I would wholeheartedly agree with Coffee... - fgalkin x2
Honestly, this board is so fucking stupid at times. - Thanas
GALE ForceCarwash: Oh, I'll wax that shit, bitch...
Starglider
Miles Dyson

Post by Starglider »

Mr. Coffee wrote:Please tell me you bought yourself the same outfit Micheal J. Fox wore in BttF and have a good stand-in for Doc for pictures when this project is completed.
Well kinda, I do have a replica of Marty's future jacket from the second movie (also the Nike Mags);

Too small for me really, I think if we were taking this to a convention my wife would wear it and I'd play Doc Brown.
Starglider
Miles Dyson

Post by Starglider »

Some detail work on the engine compartment :

Central vent is not in the original design, it is for extra cooling of the coil pack area (original design had a single coil on the bulkhead).

Labels are screen printed stainless, naturally.

Image[/quote]
Starglider
Miles Dyson

Post by Starglider »

Fascias primered ready for painting;

Decided the intercoolers needed more 80s bling i.e. stainless shrouds with some badges ripped off crashed Volvo 740 turbo-bricks...

Test-fitting the top parts here, will have 2" strip welded around the inside edges (with cutouts for piping) and a brushed stainless finish.

Fibreglass dust everywhere, will clean up later.
Starglider
Miles Dyson

Post by Starglider »

Fascias painted and back on the car. Spoiler still needs a little detail work;

Starglider
Miles Dyson

Post by Starglider »

Back end nearly done, including the folding stainless hook solution to support the engine cover from the louvres;

Unfortunately one of the stainless steel bumper letters has gone missing, should turn up eventually.

The front is less visually interesting but still coming along;

Starglider
Miles Dyson

Post by Starglider »

It's been nearly a year since I posted about this car. Essentially, there were a couple of major hold-ups;

1) The car was at the engine tuning place in the Netherlands for over six months instead of the planned two months. The primary problem was that the ECU was defective and overdriving the coils, causing them to burn out. The company went through four sets of coils before this was diagnosed. There were also problems with crankshaft balance, gear shift (the stick broke!) etc. However the twin-turbo engine is now tuned and working correctly and the car is driveable (brakes work, steering works, gearbox works, suspension ok) although not road legal (no headlights, no MOT).

2) I haven't had anywhere to work on it for a while. I am no longer renting a garage (I used to do this when we lived on a council estate) and my garage at home was full of stuff after our old wooden shed disintigated in the winter storms. I have now installed a new large plastic shed on a proper slab foundation, freeing up the garage.

3) The brake linkage failed on my triple-axle flatbed trailer, which meant that I had no way to transport the car between the storage unit and my home. I have now had this professionally serviced and repaired.

I am pretty busy with work right now but I hope to have the car home this month and get working on the remaining issues, which are mainly electrical and cosmetic.
Starglider
Miles Dyson

Post by Starglider »

Well, the DeLorean is finally home and I am slowly making progress on it. I am making up a rear wiring harness at the moment.

The engine, gearbox, brakes, steering and suspension are all working ok, except for the fact the handbrake is almost useless (needs adjusting). I still need to get all the lighting and accessories functional.