Skywalker plays with Blender... (56k BEWARE)

AMP: sci-fi art, regular art, pictures, photos, comics, music, etc.

Moderator: Beowulf

FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Re: Skywalker plays with Blender... (56k BEWARE)

Post by FaxModem1 »

The canopy is missing the back window, but good work.
Skywalker_T-65
Jedi Council Member

Post by Skywalker_T-65 »

In a continuing trend, I now have a basic TIE Interceptor:

SDNW5: Republic of Arcadia...Sweden in SPAAACE
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

not bad looks like the models from the old X-wing PC game.
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n
Skywalker_T-65
Jedi Council Member

Post by Skywalker_T-65 »

Since I'm on a roll lately:

The Furious-class Heavy Frigate. Based loosely off of the Victory-II class frigate from Battlefront II. Interesting little design I think, though I am still teh suxors at anything relating to texturing :P
Skywalker_T-65
Jedi Council Member

Post by Skywalker_T-65 »

In the first time for awhile...I have a model that I'm posting WIP shots of. This one I'm asking for advice on as I go, since I want this to be the 'crown jewel' of my current line of ships. This set of shots is the (overall) shape of the Revenge-class Battleship.

Last edited by Skywalker_T-65 on 2013-04-06 01:54am, edited 2 times in total.
Skywalker_T-65
Jedi Council Member

Post by Skywalker_T-65 »

As I mentioned in Fractal's thread, I was basing the (overall) shape of this ship and the ridge (especially the ridge) off of the Bellator. I didn't mean for the ridge (the front of it anyway) to turn out quite that close though. The joys of modeling... :P

In any case, I like the overall design I've set up here. It needs a LOT of work to be complete, and it sure as heck won't touch Fractal in detail...but I'm happy with where its going.

EDIT: And that second shot came out remarkably like one of Fractal's Bellator shots. Ironic. Looking at it, mine is shorter, and quite likely thinner than the Bellator. At least, I hope so. I don't want this to seem like a rip-off...
Skywalker_T-65
Jedi Council Member

Post by Skywalker_T-65 »

I'm working on adjusting the hull shape somewhat to be less of a Bellator 2.0. While I do that, I also got some work done on the bridge.

Note to self...detail work is HARD.
Skywalker_T-65
Jedi Council Member

Post by Skywalker_T-65 »

Final shots for now. I meant to go in with more detail work, but I've hit the limit my computer can take. I can't even move parts of the mesh without it glitching Blender anymore (hence the reason the reactor bulb is so ridiculously oversized...I can't shrink it anymore even though I want to)

That...still came out way too close to the Bellator for comfort. If you read this, I'm sorry for that Fractal. I meant to change it up more, but my computer gave up sooo...until I get a better comp, it will stay this way. I'm moving on to a Vic-Star now, and hopefully the smaller size will help with that particular problem.
Skywalker_T-65
Jedi Council Member

Post by Skywalker_T-65 »

As I said, I moved on to a Vic-Star. And it has proven interesting to say the least. I chose to stay as close to the original concept art as humanly possible, which means low-quality pencil drawing is all I have. I refuse to base it off of any of the current VSD models since they are all scaled down ISD's with wings, thus, we have this result. (warning: several large images ahead)

-----------------------------------------

Now, for some explanations. Like I said, I'm going by the concept art for this, which means some details one normally associates with a Vic model are different. First...the terraces. Instead of going ISD-style, I replicated the concepts version as close as humanly possible. This means they are shorter (in length) than on an Imp-star, and they have a more 'blocky' than 'dagger' shape to them. Which fits, as this is supposed to be an older design by a different company.

Which also ties into the sensor globes. Instead of making the tower globes like KDY designs (Imp, Ex, Allegiance etc.) I went with sensor 'domes'. Namely because the concept lacks the tower globes, and (to me) if you look close and kind of squint, there looks like a little sphere on the bridge wing in the concept.

Continuing on the bridge...that has the only thing I carried over directly from another model (in this case, the Empire at War one). Namely the two sensor (I think) devices. The one beside the bridge, and the one on top of it. No idea quite what they are, but like I said...I'm assuming sensors of some sort. Same with the satellite dishes. And yes, I suck at greebling (on the bridge proper)...still quite new at that, and unlike with the last one, I couldn't just use the ISD-II as a basis for it. I had to wing it...and the result...is not quite what I wanted.

And on a final note, we have the weaponry. This is supposed to be a Vic-II, which is why the 'wings' aren't extended up. And also why it has ISD style turbolasers. I figured that, while the sensor domes are different, the weaponry is something that probably would have been standardized as much as possible during the Clone Wars. There are slight differences between the Vic guns I have, and the ISD-I guns they are based off of.

As for the placement...I again worked off the concept. While it doesn't have any gun emplacements shown, it leaves the 'by the terrace' space open, which is why two turrets are there. And there are circles on the wings that I assumed were gun positions, hence the turbolasers there. Now, this isn't going to be canonically correct weaponry wise for a simple reason...the VSD-II supposedly has 20 dual-heavies. I personally assume that means twenty barrels, as I am at a loss on fitting even ten, yet alone 20 dual heavy turrets of any variety on here, without using the underside...which, while it makes sense, is a bit of a departure, especially for such a small design. So I bit the bullet, and decided on just the 8 turrets...16 heavy turbolasers, with smaller weapons scattered across the hull and trench (eventually). I just hope when I start greebling the trench and doing hull plating it doesn't glitch again.

Man that was long :P
Skywalker_T-65
Jedi Council Member

Post by Skywalker_T-65 »

Huh...could have sworn I posted the last Vic-shots in here...anyway, this is where I ended up before it began glitching again (yes, my computer hates me).

(I know both sides of the stern aren't identical to each other. That's mostly because I haven't figured out a mirror feature, and I suck at getting things exactly the same on both sides. Meh)
salm
Rabid Monkey

Post by salm »

Skywalker_T-65 wrote: (I know both sides of the stern aren't identical to each other. That's mostly because I haven't figured out a mirror feature, and I suck at getting things exactly the same on both sides. Meh)
A standard workflow would be to create an instance of the one half and then mirror it.