My little Starship hobby

AMP: sci-fi art, regular art, pictures, photos, comics, music, etc.

Moderator: Beowulf

KomradKing
Redshirt

My little Starship hobby

Post by KomradKing »

I like to play around with building spaceships in Sketchup. Nothing serious, I just think it's fun. This model is the first I've felt is worth posting and sharing, and I'd like a little feedback about it if your so inclined to do so politely and constructively.

So, This is the Tartarus Battle Cruiser:

It's a little over 3700 feet long. It has 16 main offensive turrets, 16 defense turrets, and is capable of carrying 96 Athena fighters and 16 Ares Heavy fighters. It can carry bombers in place of fighters, but loses two fighters for every bomber. Small craft are retrieved through the two retrieval bays in the bow of the ship, and transported via magnetic rails to the appropriate launch bay.
I believe in physical bay doors, not magical magnetic shields, and the launch bays have them, but i haven't gotten to the retrieval bays yet.

Front:

Back:

Side:

Top:

Turrets can be retracted into the hull.
Revealed:

Retracted:

Launch bays:
In the launch tube, from the perspective of the commanders seat in the cokcpit of an Ares Heavy fighter:

The Launch hanger and 12 Athena Fighter:

The Retrieval bays and a Charon shuttle parked in the way of everything:

This is the observation deck. Not the bridge. I have always like Star Wars Star Destroyers, but even before seeing Return of the Jedi and the death of the Executor, I have thought it was terribly silly to put the command crew in such a vulnerable spot. So the bridge is somewhere deep inside under plenty of armor, and this is the Observation deck.

I built it all from scratch with the exception of the barrels on the self defense and offensive turrets, and the missiles on the Athena Fighters in one of the hangars, those I found on the 3d warehouse and worked into my designs. I just have a hard time with weapons sometimes. If you download the model, you can walk around the hangars and walk through them to the launch bays, or go chill in the observation deck. I'm thinking of adding more interior decks, maybe a little work on the engine rooms, or the command decks, but my computer is already starting to lag a little, so I might have to upgrade before I can incorporate those areas.

The pictures came out a little weird after the upload, so if you have sketchup and a decent computer, I would really recommend downloading the model.
The whole model can be downloaded at: http://sketchup.google.com/3dwarehouse/ ... 67dd351698

I think my next step is to learn how to work with textures and rendering, because while I really like what it turned out looking like, the sketchup paint option just come across as...crappy. But I know next to nothing about that, so if anyone has hints or tips as to where to start and what to use, that would be cool.

Thanks for having a look. Feel free to leave criticisms, and I would really appreciate advice and comments in general on how to improve my work.
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Re: My little Starship hobby

Post by Eternal_Freedom »

Very impressive model. I have to say it looks highly reminiscent of the SW Venator class SD's
Baltar: "I don't want to miss a moment of the last Battlestar's destruction!"
Centurion: "Sir, I really think you should look at the other Battlestar."
Baltar: "What are you babbling about other...it's impossible!"
Centurion: "No. It is a Battlestar."

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
KomradKing
Redshirt

Re: My little Starship hobby

Post by KomradKing »

Thank you! Yeah, definitely inspired by star Wars. I actually took the inspiration more from an image of a Sith Stardestroyer from the new Star Wars Old Republic game.