GUNS GUNS GERNS

AMP: sci-fi art, regular art, pictures, photos, comics, music, etc.

Moderator: Beowulf

TheFeniX
Sith Marauder

Re: GUNS GUNS GERNS

Post by TheFeniX »

Anyone got a line on a good automatic with a decocker and locking safety? I'm looking for a new pistol before we close on the house. I'm not adverse to a .45, but 9mm is preferable, .40cal is not on the list. I want at least 10 rounds if .45, preferably a lot more if 9mm. I'm kind of off plastics and would prefer a full-steel frame, but that stuff is getting hard to come by. There's a new(er) gun shop that opened up nearby, and I'd prefer not to go in blind. I'm thinking $1,000 is my upper limit.

I love my PX4 but it's time to relegate it for range use. I also love my M&P, but I just need (or so I think) a gun with a locking safety for my own peace of mind.

All that said, the LEO series of Tangfolio make me feel fuzzy inside. Those guns should have a NSFW tag.
Borgholio wrote:Not necessarily. A .357 magnum kicks like a mule, despite being a smaller caliber than a Colt .45, for instance. The recoil is based partly on the recoil system, and partly on how much of a powder charge is used.
Even a snub-.357 mag doesn't have recoil I'd call anywhere near a mule's kick. In fact, mine kicks less than my old 96FS. It and the .44 magnum have a bad reputation for recoil which is almost completely unfounded. I do however agree with most of your post.
Alyeska
Federation Ambassador

Post by Alyeska »

Locking safety? You mean a manual safety? I would suggest the Beretta 92FS or Beretta Px4. They have decockers and manual safeties.
"If the facts are on your side, pound on the facts. If the law is on your side, pound on the law. If neither is on your side, pound on the table."

"The captain claimed our people violated a 4,000 year old treaty forbidding us to develop hyperspace technology. Extermination of our planet was the consequence. The subject did not survive interrogation."
TheFeniX
Sith Marauder

Post by TheFeniX »

My PX4 is what I'm retiring and I was never really impressed with my 96FS, neither were the few military guy I talked to who carried the military 92fs.

Tacticool Firearms had a nice looking FNS9 I wanted to lay hands on. A shame no one would help me within my self-imposed 7 minute time-limit, even though there were two salesmen just standing around. I may head over to Fountain at some point. Those guys never let you walk out the door without being helped.

I'm not opposed to a cocked and locked style of gun like the 1911. I just want something besides a trigger/grip safety, like on my M&P 9mm or XD9.
starslayer
Jedi Knight

Post by starslayer »

Might check out a CZ-75 in that case. No decocker, but can be carried cocked and locked like a 1911.
Alyeska
Federation Ambassador

Post by Alyeska »

Yeah, can't go wrong with the CZ-75. The FNP/FNX/FNS series is quite good, if a little pricey. Sig P-226 is another classic hammer fired pistol. Or the Sig P-228.
"If the facts are on your side, pound on the facts. If the law is on your side, pound on the law. If neither is on your side, pound on the table."

"The captain claimed our people violated a 4,000 year old treaty forbidding us to develop hyperspace technology. Extermination of our planet was the consequence. The subject did not survive interrogation."
Lonestar
Keeper of the Schwartz

Post by Lonestar »

Hey, HDS, that Brazilian Winchester you had earlier in the thread, is that a actual Winchester or something from Braztech/Rossi?
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."
His Divine Shadow
Commence Primary Ignition

Post by His Divine Shadow »

It's a rossi, no Winchesters where made in 44 mag caliber.
Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who did not.
Lonestar
Keeper of the Schwartz

Post by Lonestar »

How is it? I'm thinking of getting one in .357 mag to pair with my GP100, but people seem to either hate it or love it[for the price point].
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."
His Divine Shadow

I like mine but I've heard people less enthused about theirs. QC is spotty and even then I bought mine expecting to have to fix the trigger and action, which I did with a tuning kit from Stevesgunz.com
Lonestar
Keeper of the Schwartz

Post by Lonestar »

Got the Rossi in .357mag to go with my GP100 today. I finger-fucked a sporterized Krag for a good 10minutes, but ultimately decided against it. I knew that I would eventually end up spending beaucoup money bringing it to as-issued.
Last edited by Lonestar on 2014-03-15 12:03am, edited 1 time in total.
LaCroix
Sith Acolyte

Post by LaCroix »

You should have bought that krag and restored it - it's a beautiful and fascinating gun and doesn't deserve an existence in such disgrace... But then, you can have originals for 4-500 €, so why spending 3times as much to restore one...

Am I the only one who winces when he hears the words sport(er)ized?
A minute's thought suggests that the very idea of this is stupid. A more detailed examination raises the possibility that it might be an answer to the question "how could the Germans win the war after the US gets involved?" - Captain Seafort, in a thread proposing a 1942 'D-Day' in Quiberon Bay

I do archery skeet. With a Trebuchet.
Lonestar
Keeper of the Schwartz

Post by Lonestar »

LaCroix wrote:
Here in the States we either call it sporterized or Bubba'd when someone chops up milsurps to be durr rifles.

(sporterized it correct, I misspelled it when I initially posted it)
TheFeniX
Sith Marauder

Post by TheFeniX »

Gun safe is to be delivered tomorrow and I can get all the guns out of my parent's house. Liberty Deluxe 30 shipped and bolted where I want it for free. $1,200 from Gander... which was weird. Academy wanted $350 just for shipping and their prices and selection were horrible. Anyways, I have to knock the door trim off my closet tonight to make 24" of clearance.

Gander also had a WTF selection of firearms I don't recall them having. Like, just cases and cases of handguns. Laid hands on a Tangfolio match series, a couple of Sigs, and FNS 9mms. They all felt extremely cheap in my hands. The polymer frames didn't seem to match up well with the steel slides on any of them. They all felt like shitty Ruger automatics. The salesman didn't seem too pleased when I started knocking on the Sigs (it's what he carries), but nothing about those guns feel right. Need to expand my search and really look into full-steel frames.

My M&P still stands out as the most solid replacement for my PX4. Everything about that gun is "right" and it's a shame I can't find anything else like it with a locking safety or at least a decocker. There's a lot a DA only guns out there now, but the triggers don't feel right.

EDIT: Like a glove
I lied, Gander doesn't bolt it down for free. So, the ol' man is coming by with his hammer drill and we're bolting it this weekend (hopefully).
Azazal
Jedi Council Member

Post by Azazal »

Added an evil black rifle to the collection, S&W M&P 15 Sport. A nice basic AR platform, great for plinking. Much easier on the shoulder and wallet then the 308.

Picked up from local FFL, now I need for the weather to warm up so I can head to the range.

LaCroix
Sith Acolyte

Post by LaCroix »

Lonestar wrote:
LaCroix wrote:
Here in the States we either call it sporterized or Bubba'd when someone chops up milsurps to be durr rifles.

(sporterized it correct, I misspelled it when I initially posted it)
My problem lies within the practice of taking a perfectly well gun, and cutting things off that are essential to function. They did it en masse for Enfields, and then everybody starts complaining about how unreliable Enfields are. Of course, without the long stock to provide support for the barrel, that thing is like a rubber hose.

And it looks fugly as hell, too.
A minute's thought suggests that the very idea of this is stupid. A more detailed examination raises the possibility that it might be an answer to the question "how could the Germans win the war after the US gets involved?" - Captain Seafort, in a thread proposing a 1942 'D-Day' in Quiberon Bay

I do archery skeet. With a Trebuchet.
Agent Fisher
Rabid Monkey

Post by Agent Fisher »

So, I went into my local gunstore today to buy some cleaning patches for my Remington 870. I swear! That's all I wanted to get! But then I saw that M&P Shield in .40 cal. And they're going off the 'safe handgun roster' for California in June or July, and they're currently hard as hell to find in a shop. I only meant to hold it for a few seconds, really. Well, before I knew it, I was dropping the money for it. Now to wait my time in Gun Jail before I can pick it up.
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Post by Eternal_Freedom »

I know that feeling. I went into my local army surplus shop to buy a pair of boots and an amusing t-shirt and walked out with my first airgun. Two in fact since I got a BB pistol as well. (UK resident by the way).

My dad however takes the cake for unexpected shopping trips. Three times he has gone out to buy a newspaper and some milk and he's returned with a new car.
Baltar: "I don't want to miss a moment of the last Battlestar's destruction!"
Centurion: "Sir, I really think you should look at the other Battlestar."
Baltar: "What are you babbling about other...it's impossible!"
Centurion: "No. It is a Battlestar."

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
Agent Fisher
Rabid Monkey

Post by Agent Fisher »

Free at last, free at last, thank God almighty, it's free at last!

My Shield.

My Shield and it's Big Brother, both in .40 cal.

Now, just need to find a comfy holster for the Shield.
His Divine Shadow

My old 870 Express, been modded through the years. Barrel was originally 20" with rifle sights, got a bump near the muzzle, probably snow in the bore when shooting slugs so it was cut to 18.5", I also removed the rifle sights and phosphated the barrel, I had a gunsmith thread it for chokes. Replaced the ugly synthetic stocks with a set from an old 870 Police that I refinished.

Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Post by Eternal_Freedom »

Very nice!
Baltar: "I don't want to miss a moment of the last Battlestar's destruction!"
Centurion: "Sir, I really think you should look at the other Battlestar."
Baltar: "What are you babbling about other...it's impossible!"
Centurion: "No. It is a Battlestar."

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
Jub
Sith Marauder

Post by Jub »

Given my thoughts on gun control and gun crime, this might seem shocking, but I'm looking to get back into shooting. I shot years ago with Army Cadets and more recently with air rifles and target shooting has always been pretty fun. I'm not the best shot, mainly because of nearsightedness in my right eye, but I did make the marksman branch of cadet summer programs and used to shoot a pretty tight grouping.

My questions are what should I know before trying to get a Canadian firearms license? What sort of gear is essential for storing a weapon that isn't intended for home defense? What sort of weapon would be good for somebody who hasn't shot in ages (I'd like to get a Lee Enfield no7 as it's something I shot in cadets and they're solid weapons)?
TheFeniX
Sith Marauder

Post by TheFeniX »

Jub wrote:What sort of gear is essential for storing a weapon that isn't intended for home defense?
Check local laws, if any exist, concerning any storage requirements. Since you seem to only be concerned with long-guns, any safe with a keyed or combination lock should suffice. You don't have to go overboard with a ton of steel. I did, but I own thousands of dollars in firearms, many of them handguns. A few long-guns would do fine in a couple hundred dollar gunsafe, especially if bolted to the floor.
What sort of weapon would be good for somebody who hasn't shot in ages (I'd like to get a Lee Enfield no7 as it's something I shot in cadets and they're solid weapons)?
For learning how to get on target with a Long Rifle and fine-tune your trigger work as well as being extremely cheap for both the weapon and ammo, any sort of well-made .22 LR will fit the bill. There are probably a thousand different models ranging from bolt-action to semi-auto, to even those that will load both standard and magnum .22s. I've got an Interarms .22 ATD knock-off of a browning my dad bought me at 16. It's very fun to shoot and pretty damned accurate at any range where you can see what you're shooting at. But any decent .22LR will suffice to make sure you're serious about shooting.

After that, lay hands on some rifles and see what you like, because that's the only way to figure it out.
Jub
Sith Marauder

Post by Jub »

TheFeniX wrote:Check local laws, if any exist, concerning any storage requirements. Since you seem to only be concerned with long-guns, any safe with a keyed or combination lock should suffice. You don't have to go overboard with a ton of steel. I did, but I own thousands of dollars in firearms, many of them handguns. A few long-guns would do fine in a couple hundred dollar gunsafe, especially if bolted to the floor.
That makes logical sense tome. Check my local laws, and buy something relatively cheap to start. I think the main issue is that I'm in an apartment at the moment so light and likely not bolted down will have to do for now.
For learning how to get on target with a Long Rifle and fine-tune your trigger work as well as being extremely cheap for both the weapon and ammo, any sort of well-made .22 LR will fit the bill. There are probably a thousand different models ranging from bolt-action to semi-auto, to even those that will load both standard and magnum .22s. I've got an Interarms .22 ATD knock-off of a browning my dad bought me at 16. It's very fun to shoot and pretty damned accurate at any range where you can see what you're shooting at. But any decent .22LR will suffice to make sure you're serious about shooting.

After that, lay hands on some rifles and see what you like, because that's the only way to figure it out.
I was thinking .22 mainly because of costs in both ammo and a starting rifle. It's also what the CNo7 that I shot with cadets was chambered for so I have a little experience with it which is better than the none with anything more powerful.
Beowulf
The Patrician

Post by Beowulf »

A steel job box (used for storing tools at construction sites) is cheaper than your typical gun safe. It also doesn't look like a typical gun safe, so it may be less likely to get forced open in burglary.

South of the border, a common rifle to start with is a Ruger 10/22. But as mentioned, pretty much any .22 rifle will work, so long as it's well made. A Lee-Enfield would also get you used to the manual of arms for a .303 version.

Beyond have the gun, and someplace to store it, you're also going to need eye and ear protection. I've got a pair of ESS crossbow glasses and Howard Leight ear muffs.
"preemptive killing of cops might not be such a bad idea from a personal saftey[sic] standpoint..." --Keevan Colton
"There's a word for bias you can't see: Yours." -- William Saletan
Lonestar
Keeper of the Schwartz

Post by Lonestar »

Agent Fisher wrote:Free at last, free at last, thank God almighty, it's free at last!

My Shield and it's Big Brother, both in .40 cal.

Now, just need to find a comfy holster for the Shield.

They issue CCW permits in Sacramento?