GUNS GUNS GERNS

AMP: sci-fi art, regular art, pictures, photos, comics, music, etc.

Moderator: Beowulf

Alyeska
Federation Ambassador

Re: GUNS GUNS GERNS

Post by Alyeska »

Montana law is Shall Issue within 60 days. The time is at the discretion of the Sheriffs. Some issue same day you hand in the permit. My county is larger. They are a little busy (increased permit applications right now), and well known for taking the entire 60 days just because they can.

On the up side when I handed in my training certificate the lady taking the information had nothing but good things to say about him. My instructor is former law enforcement, so I hope that helps.

I'm wondering if the Sheriff's office is going to try and deny me because of the references I provided. One was confused by one of the questions. The other thought CCWs were a right and not a privilege. That would be rather chickenshit for the Sheriff to do that. Especially because state law doesn't require a reference. And the Sheriff cannot add on requirements
"If the facts are on your side, pound on the facts. If the law is on your side, pound on the law. If neither is on your side, pound on the table."

"The captain claimed our people violated a 4,000 year old treaty forbidding us to develop hyperspace technology. Extermination of our planet was the consequence. The subject did not survive interrogation."
Alyeska
Federation Ambassador

Post by Alyeska »

Just got finger printed and my mug shot taken.

Just kidding.

Sheriff is extremely backlogged with a massive influx in permit applications. The whole "Obama wants to personally kill me while I sleep" crowd has been applying like crazy. I'm approved. Got my photo taken. Permit ships in the next mailing batch.
"If the facts are on your side, pound on the facts. If the law is on your side, pound on the law. If neither is on your side, pound on the table."

"The captain claimed our people violated a 4,000 year old treaty forbidding us to develop hyperspace technology. Extermination of our planet was the consequence. The subject did not survive interrogation."
Aaron MkII
Jedi Master

Post by Aaron MkII »

Right on, congrats. :)
His Divine Shadow
Commence Primary Ignition

Post by His Divine Shadow »

Bah, went shooting my 22s today and this I saw when I packed up the ruger:

Where the hell did that come from and when? Didn't seem to affect the mounting of the suppressor any at least. At least my 9422 lever is right on target now, no problems at all knocking down biathlon steel targets all day long.

While we're on the topic of suppressors I took apart my 9mm suppressor and cleaned it last week:

Sections

Here's a single baffle

Front baffle

Recoil booster part

Soaked the parts in Ed's Red and then scrubbed with a brush before wiping everything down.

As usual when I put something back together I always have a bunch of spare parts that I don't know what to do with.
Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who did not.
Alyeska
Federation Ambassador

Post by Alyeska »

Thats a thing of beauty HDS. What sort of decibel reduction you get out of it?

Alyeska
Federation Ambassador

Post by Alyeska »

Taking the next step in responsible ownership. I just bought a safe for my car. If I plan to carry, there will be times where I cannot. And I need to make sure I can store it safely and securely.

His Divine Shadow

Alyeska wrote:Thats a thing of beauty HDS. What sort of decibel reduction you get out of it?
No idea, don't have any equipment to test it, but people say it's the most effective model on the market over here though. With all the modules installed that is. It would apparently be illegal in the US because of its modular nature.
LaCroix
Sith Acolyte

Post by LaCroix »

Finally had time to check out my Enfield °4 MkII...

Such a sweet thing, 200 yards, iron sights, 4 out of 5 in a two inch group, the other went far (entirely my fault). I was entirely amazed by the soft shove of recoil.

Now I only have to wait for the adjuster tool in the mail - the aim is about 10 inches off to the the left at 200.
A minute's thought suggests that the very idea of this is stupid. A more detailed examination raises the possibility that it might be an answer to the question "how could the Germans win the war after the US gets involved?" - Captain Seafort, in a thread proposing a 1942 'D-Day' in Quiberon Bay

I do archery skeet. With a Trebuchet.
Alyeska
Federation Ambassador

Post by Alyeska »

I am now licensed. After an obscene delay well beyond state allowances. But its here.

Torben
Padawan Learner
Location: Somewhere just to the left of reality, or SW Florida

Post by Torben »

Congratulations!
“I prefer Gary,” the Centurion said. - Centurion GRY-237427, "The Hunted"

“This sucks,” Gary said, as the Land-Rams to either side exploded. “I will request a transfer from your command in our next life, Commander.” - Centurion GRY-237427, "The Hunted"

Give a man a match, you warm him for a day. Set him on fire, you warm him for the rest of his life - Terry Pratchett
His Divine Shadow

Last week I went to the police station because I've been waiting for two firearms permits, since february. Because one of the firearms was a handgun I had to take a computerized test of about 250 yes/no questions where they asked me things like "I feel suicidal", "I smell things", "I am a happy person", "I think some people need to be punched", "I have alcohol problems", etc etc etc. You have to be an idiot to fail this test, even if you were unstable and unsuitable you would have to be really far gone to fail to lie on the questions.

Then it was an informal interview with a police officer who asked me about my shooting hobby and what I did, turned into a more general chat, we got onto the topic of whisky, turned out we both enjoyed Islay whiskies such as Lagavullin and Caol Ila. So I pretty much passed and I now handed over a big chunk of money to a german company for an Uberti El Patron and 1873 Uberti Short rifle both in .357mag.

So the moral of this story is alcohol helped me get more guns.
His Divine Shadow

So anyway this came last night, had only time to open the packages and toss them in the gun safe, spent all evening renovating the apartment to make it ready for selling, put up a new bathroom cabinet and got slightly electrocuted but at least it's done.

Took this before I went to bed:
TheFeniX
Sith Marauder

Post by TheFeniX »

So, my PX4 hard locked the other day. Quite a surprise since the only other weapon I've ever had this happen with was the wife's Mini-14 and it's weird action system. I decided to clear my pistol as it had been a while (we were moving and all my cleaning stuff was packed up). I dropped the mag and tried to cycle the action. Nothing. I tried some more and it was jammed pretty good.

I finally had to get a stack of copier paper and tap the slide with enough force to break the action open and eject the round.
The image is a bit grainy, but you can see that metal stud still has rust on it even after I cleaned and lubricated the Hell out of the gun. My old PX4 had no issues like this. I'm considering digging around for a fully-stainless 9mm with a locking safety because this whole ordeal annoyed me. I wonder what I could get a Tangfolio for.... hahahahaha!
Lonestar
Keeper of the Schwartz

Post by Lonestar »

So, uh, this happened:

Last edited by Lonestar on 2013-10-28 09:52am, edited 1 time in total.
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."
His Divine Shadow

7.62x39 or something else? The good ole 7.62 is one of my favorite calibers at any rate, would probably own one but I got an AR and don't want/need two guns that do the same thing. Guy at my club has a chinese AK in that caliber and he takes old plastic vodka bottles with the convex shape, fill with water and freeze them, then use them as targets at the 75-100 yard line. I dunno where he gets all those empty vodka bottles from though... hmm.
Lonestar
Keeper of the Schwartz

Post by Lonestar »

5.45. It's a Bulgarian AK-74 that has been rebuilt into being 922(r) compliant with US import restrictions by Waffenwerks. Don't care for the name of the company, but it's a good deal for the price, much cheaper than a Arsenal -74, not as big as a PITA as a Saiga/VEPR conversion, and not hammered together by the methheads in Vegas Century employs for their WASRs.

There is also ample surplus 5.45 to be had in the US, for a brief period this year 5.45 was cheaper than .22LR, believe it or not. Of course, I have to use Wolf or Tulammo for most of the ranges around here(lead core only).
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."
madd0ct0r
Sith Acolyte

Post by madd0ct0r »

His Divine Shadow wrote:Bah, went shooting my 22s today and this I saw when I packed up the ruger:

Where the hell did that come from and when? Didn't seem to affect the mounting of the suppressor any at least.
If you mean the chips in the thread, they look like they were machined in deliberelty - stops oil or liquid being pulled along the thread by surface tension.
"Aid, trade, green technology and peace." - Hans Rosling.
"Welcome to SDN, where we can't see the forest because walking into trees repeatedly feels good, bro." - Mr Coffee
krakonfour
Padawan Learner

Post by krakonfour »

Small question for the gun noob:
Does recoil scale with bullet caliber?

How does it 'feel' to shoot a gun with a hydraulic or spring-based recoil system? The difference, I mean...
GREAT BALLS OF FIRE!
Like worldbuilding? Write D&D adventures or GTFO.

A setting: Iron Giants
Another setting: Supersonic swords and Gun-Kata
Attempts at Art
Borgholio
Sith Acolyte

Post by Borgholio »

Not necessarily. A .357 magnum kicks like a mule, despite being a smaller caliber than a Colt .45, for instance. The recoil is based partly on the recoil system, and partly on how much of a powder charge is used.

For instance, I shoot a .58 caliber 1861 Springfield Rifle. It has far less kick than a modern hunting rifle, despite having a bullet literally twice the size. This is due to three factors.

1. It's fucking heavy. The "official" weight is 10 pounds for the rifle but it feels closer to 12 or 13. The weight helps minimize the recoil a great deal.

2. It's a long rifle. It's nearly 5 feet long. Long rifles tend to be more stable due to their length, as opposed to smaller weapons such as submachine guns (think Uzi) that are basically "spray and pray".

3. It's black powder. While I put a large amount of powder into it, the combustion isn't as fast as modern gunpowder so it doesn't have as much force behind it when you shoot it.
You will be assimilated...bunghole!
krakonfour
Padawan Learner

Post by krakonfour »

Borgholio wrote:
Not necessarily. A .357 magnum kicks like a mule, despite being a smaller caliber than a Colt .45, for instance. The recoil is based partly on the recoil system, and partly on how much of a powder charge is used.

For instance, I shoot a .58 caliber 1861 Springfield Rifle. It has far less kick than a modern hunting rifle, despite having a bullet literally twice the size. This is due to three factors.

1. It's fucking heavy. The "official" weight is 10 pounds for the rifle but it feels closer to 12 or 13. The weight helps minimize the recoil a great deal.

2. It's a long rifle. It's nearly 5 feet long. Long rifles tend to be more stable due to their length, as opposed to smaller weapons such as submachine guns (think Uzi) that are basically "spray and pray".

3. It's black powder. While I put a large amount of powder into it, the combustion isn't as fast as modern gunpowder so it doesn't have as much force behind it when you shoot it.
Ah, thanks. Hadn't considered the powder being used, and the momentum exchange being affected non-insignificantly by the gun's weight.
GREAT BALLS OF FIRE!
Like worldbuilding? Write D&D adventures or GTFO.

A setting: Iron Giants
Another setting: Supersonic swords and Gun-Kata
Attempts at Art
Lonestar
Keeper of the Schwartz

Post by Lonestar »

krakonfour wrote:Small question for the gun noob:

Bullet caliber is different from cartridge size. 5.56 NATO has the same bullet caliber as .22LR, for instance(at least, very close) and it has substantially bigger kick due to being heavier, using more powder, etc.

Likewise, the weight of the firearm also reduces recoil. .357 Magnum fired out of this:

produces substantially less recoil than fired out of this:

Things like using Direct Impingment also reduces recoil, although that has negatives(AR-15s tend to be dirtier when fired due to their DI system).
How does it 'feel' to shoot a gun with a hydraulic or spring-based recoil system? The difference, I mean...

Not sure what you mean...modern firearms don't use hydraulics. Or spring-based recoil systems. They shoot out the round using tiny explosions in the chamber.
Vejut
Padawan Learner

Post by Vejut »

I think he means things like the PTRS's shock absorber stock, or those bump-fire assist systems. Not really all that common, as far as I know. For Kraken, most "recoil reducing" systems you'll see on stocks are literally just shaped foam or rubber to spread out how intense the push on your shoulder is.
Sea Skimmer
Yankee Capitalist Air Pirate

Post by Sea Skimmer »

This was my Saturday. First time I got to take out one of my M1 carbines. Stock was dirty, drunkness the night before precluded cleaning it but it was just some cosmetic dirt from being stored way too long. The other one I have is in excellent shape, so I decided not to make that one the shooting one.

http://imageshack.us/a/img823/1420/p1ff.jpg

Also brought out from left to right my left handed bolt action Lancaster Mark II .22, my Mosin, friend's HK P7, my Walther P1, and friend's Mosin Nagant. Opinion of all three of us was that the P1 sucks. Its ergonomimcs are not great and its actually too light to shoot the way it feels like it should. Its the postwar aluminium frame version of the Walther P38, they should have kept the steel.

Accuracy on the P7 is pretty damn good, on a 100 yard range it was basically hitting a near man sized target with all threeof us, and none of us is a good shot with a pistol by any standard, though we did put a good number of rounds in the dirt just short of it for a while. Seems like it really just doesn't loose much accuracy at all over that kind of distance, all failure from the shooter. Weird gas piston delayed blowback operation is supposed to make it highly accurate, seems to work.

Surplus 1971 Soviet 7.62mm ammo was like shooting brownpowder, as expected, but not one missfire so who cares.
"This cult of special forces is as sensible as to form a Royal Corps of Tree Climbers and say that no soldier who does not wear its green hat with a bunch of oak leaves stuck in it should be expected to climb a tree"
— Field Marshal William Slim 1956
Lonestar
Keeper of the Schwartz

Post by Lonestar »

Is your Mosin a Izzy?

Only indoor ranges in Northern VA(except at Quantico), so I use Wolf. I do have a can of surplus as a "just in case" box.
Sea Skimmer
Yankee Capitalist Air Pirate

Post by Sea Skimmer »

The range I was at was a public state range a good hour outside of Phily, nothing is closer without joining a private range for a lot more money then 30 dollars a year for the state permit. Boy was it busy, but it was easily the last good day of the fall, and everyone knew it.

My Mosin is a 1943 Izzy, so is my friend's, but his aged a lot better. Both all matching parts.
"This cult of special forces is as sensible as to form a Royal Corps of Tree Climbers and say that no soldier who does not wear its green hat with a bunch of oak leaves stuck in it should be expected to climb a tree"
— Field Marshal William Slim 1956