GUNS GUNS GERNS

AMP: sci-fi art, regular art, pictures, photos, comics, music, etc.

Moderator: Beowulf

Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Re: GUNS GUNS GERNS

Post by Eternal_Freedom »

Damnit, a thread like this is one of the few places I will admit to being jealous of residents of North America. I would dearly love a Winchester or a CX4. I've got airgun versions of both, and they're great, but it's just not the same :(
Baltar: "I don't want to miss a moment of the last Battlestar's destruction!"
Centurion: "Sir, I really think you should look at the other Battlestar."
Baltar: "What are you babbling about other...it's impossible!"
Centurion: "No. It is a Battlestar."

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
TheFeniX
Sith Marauder

Post by TheFeniX »

Did someone say Winchester? Hello hand-me-down!
The top one is a .30-30
The bottom one is a .38-55

My dad dumped them off on me when they were looking to sell their home. Collector reproductions and since I still have the boxes, I've been told they're worth some money. Don't know, don't really care.
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Now I am very envious. Damn this country's boringly strict gun laws and my own lack of funds.

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
Aaron MkII
Jedi Master

Post by Aaron MkII »

Well you could come to Canada. We have UHC, none of the UK's camera bullshit and relatively lax gun laws.
Lonestar
Keeper of the Schwartz

Post by Lonestar »

Or Finland.

Of course, the national sport of the Scandinavia countries is Suicide, so maybe not.
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."
His Divine Shadow
Commence Primary Ignition

Post by His Divine Shadow »

Eh at least we're not japan, a country whose suicide rate equals that of the combined suicide and murder rate of the US.
Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who did not.
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Canada sounds better than Finland, I can still call myself a subject of the Crown. With a shotgun.

Lonestar
Keeper of the Schwartz

Post by Lonestar »

Assuming you're in the UK, it is possible to get a bolt-action AR there. UK taxes and lack of supply is going to make the gun itself and the ammo hella expensive.

EDIT: In fact, the bare-bones model over there is 1100+ pounds. Compare this to a (new)bare-bones AR-15, which of course is semi-automatic, at a American gun shop.
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Lonestar wrote:Assuming you're in the UK, it is possible to get a bolt-action AR there. UK taxes and lack of supply is going to make the gun itself and the ammo hella expensive.

EDIT: In fact, the bare-bones model over there is 1100+ pounds. Compare this to a (new)bare-bones AR-15, which of course is semi-automatic, at a American gun shop.
That's useful to know, and thanks for the link, but yeah, that's devilishly expensive. Eep.

His Divine Shadow
Commence Primary Ignition

Post by His Divine Shadow »

Lever actions are perfectly legal in the UK.
Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who did not.
Agent Fisher
Rabid Monkey

Post by Agent Fisher »

I'll post mine.

Remington 870, 12 gauge. Started off just as field gun, now it's more of a combat style shotgun. Magpul fore-end and stock, and a side saddle. It's currently my home defense weapon.

Next up, Sig P-229, in .40. The very first firearm I ever owned. Doesn't do much, sits in the safe.

And now, comes the working weapon.
S&W M&P.40, with a Streamlight TLR-1. This is the gun that is on my hip every night at work. And with any luck, I'll never have to use it.

One of these things is not like the others...
It's not a pistol. Or even a firearm. But I just dropped a bit of money on it, so it's get's posted. My Taser X-2 Electronic Control Device, seen without any cartridges in it. Capable of firing two wire attached darts up to 25ft, allowing less-lethal incapacitation, the X-2, unlike the previous models of tasers, also the user to have two shots without needing to reload.
Lonestar
Keeper of the Schwartz

Post by Lonestar »

How you liking that S&W M&P .40? I'm actually looking at the 9mm version.
Aaron MkII
Jedi Master

Post by Aaron MkII »

What's the deal with the shells? First two slugs?
Agent Fisher
Rabid Monkey

Post by Agent Fisher »

It's actually a mix. The green are low recoil buck, the black are PDX-1 (Buck and Ball, a slug and three buckshot pellets). I've got the first two flipped for reloading through the ejection port.

EDIT:
Lonestar, I love it. Even though it's light, compared to the 229, it still handles recoil like a champ, putting it towards the rear, not as much upwards as some pistol.
TheFeniX
Sith Marauder

Post by TheFeniX »

People were blowing up about the M&P more than a few years back. I remember being interested, but I had just purchased my PX4 not a few months before the M&P came out. I will say that it seems the price-point has dropped, meaning I might shelve the idea of blowing over a grand on an FN57 and look into the M&P9 again when the next gun show rolls around.

That said, what's the take-up on the trigger-pull? I got so spoiled with the (non-existent) take-up on my Colt 1911, other automatics annoy me in this area.

Anyways, more gerns!
I've generally stuck with posting my own guns. But from the People's Republic comes some POS SKS "Assault Rifle" (as people love to call them). The wife's dad for some reason decided to not only replace the stock (kept the old one), but also managed to pull out the internal magazine (pictured) and modify what I assume is an AK magazine of some sort to fit into the weapon. It does not amuse me although the gunsmith I talked to seemed surprised the mag feeds without jamming. I want to get the internal mag back into the gun because you can see that the mag release on the rifle was actually designed to only open the bottom of the internal mag in case something went wrong, not cycle in a new 30 round magazine. This makes inserting/removing the magazine.....awkward. I tried messing with it myself, but I can't even get the fucking stock off the gun (I am not a rifle guy).

Also, I need to pull that stupid bayonet off the front, but we just don't shoot the thing that much what with the Mini-14 being much more fun to fire.
Borgholio
Sith Acolyte

Post by Borgholio »

Here are my babies. I prefer older weapons, and I always draw a crowd when I set these things off at the local firing range. :)

1861 Springfield Musket, .58 caliber.

1860 Army Colt Revolver, .44 Caliber

You will be assimilated...bunghole!
TheFeniX
Sith Marauder

Post by TheFeniX »

Borgholio wrote:Here are my babies. I prefer older weapons, and I always draw a crowd when I set these things off at the local firing range. :)]
Are those reproduction? They look way too nice to be originals.

I've always entertained the idea of an original (or at least pre-WWII) Colt Single Action Army, but I can't get anywhere near the justification of a $10,000 pistol. My dad has a few reproductions (dumped off on me):
Never even thought about firing it. Don't ask me why there's .38-55 ammo in the box. Ask me why I haven't destroyed them yet.
Borgholio
Sith Acolyte

Post by Borgholio »

TheFeniX wrote:
Borgholio wrote:Here are my babies. I prefer older weapons, and I always draw a crowd when I set these things off at the local firing range. :)]
Are those reproduction? They look way too nice to be originals.
Ah hell no, they're definitely replicas. I'm not sure I'd want to risk shooting an original. :-/ Still, it's a nice history lesson to the other gun enthusiasts at the range. They see the huge smoke charge and come running, thinking it blew up in my hand. I demonstrate how to clean, load, fire, and shoot them. There's actually a special way to hold the Springfield that is different than the typical way people tend to hold a rifle. Great fun, I love black powder.

So you say the one you have pictured is a single action? Really? Looks nearly identical to mine aside from the barrel length. I know of no single-action muzzle loaders...
TheFeniX
Sith Marauder

Post by TheFeniX »

Borgholio wrote:So you say the one you have pictured is a single action? Really? Looks nearly identical to mine aside from the barrel length. I know of no single-action muzzle loaders...
No, I want a single-action Colt Army, preferably in .45 Long Colt.

That said, I'm confused with your use of the term "Single-Action" which that muzzle loader (well, cylinder loader, I guess) I posted should qualify as. The gun requires the hammer be cocked after every shot, as opposed to the S&W .357 Mag I posted a earlier which is a Double-action. I think it's a Reproduction of the Dragoon. TBH, I know little about it since blackpowder doesn't interest me.
Borgholio
Sith Acolyte

Post by Borgholio »

Erm, whoops...mis-read your post. Yeah double action would be where pulling the trigger cocks the hammer and releases it too.
Tsyroc
Emperor's Hand

Post by Tsyroc »

Borgholio wrote: Ah hell no, they're definitely replicas. I'm not sure I'd want to risk shooting an original. :-/ Still, it's a nice history lesson to the other gun enthusiasts at the range. They see the huge smoke charge and come running, thinking it blew up in my hand. I demonstrate how to clean, load, fire, and shoot them. There's actually a special way to hold the Springfield that is different than the typical way people tend to hold a rifle. Great fun, I love black powder.
Do you generally shoot with actual black powder or one of the various alternatives that will work in a muzzle loader? I rather enjoyed the cloud and the sulfur smell that real black powder puts out but it is pretty corrosive so most of the time my dad would have us use a black powder substitute when shooting muzzle loaders. You still get a good, ka-wham, but the cloud of smoke is less impressive and doesn't stink. :)
By the pricking of my thumb,
Something wicked this way comes.
Open, locks,
Whoever knocks.
Borgholio
Sith Acolyte

Post by Borgholio »

Tsyroc wrote:
Do you generally shoot with actual black powder or one of the various alternatives that will work in a muzzle loader? I rather enjoyed the cloud and the sulfur smell that real black powder puts out but it is pretty corrosive so most of the time my dad would have us use a black powder substitute when shooting muzzle loaders. You still get a good, ka-wham, but the cloud of smoke is less impressive and doesn't stink. :)
Honest to gosh black powder is what I use. It is indeed quite corrosive, so I clean after I get home from the range. I use a formula of 1/3 rubbing alcohol, 1/3 hydrogen peroxide, and 1/3 Murphy's Oil Soap. Works great in cleaning the gunk out. I also disassemble the inner workings and soak them in a tray of that solution. Once they're all dried, I re-assemble and spray with a healthy amount of general purpose gun oil.

It would probably be less effort to use those substitutes you speak of, but half the fun IS the huge cloud of smoke. :)
TheFeniX
Sith Marauder

Post by TheFeniX »

That blackpowder Colt I posted says specifically in the instruction manual to avoid any kind of smokeless powder including gunpowder or that smokeless "blackpowder" they came up with more than a few decades ago. I quote blackpowder because, based on my limited understanding, that term only applies to the "corrosive, big puff of black smoke" powder that Borgholio described.

To keep this party going:
My dad's S&W .44 Mag. Wood grips are the bomb. He's got another longer barrel with a scope mounted on it. I think he used to deer hunt with it, but that was thankfully before my time on this earth. Anyways, the recoil isn't what the movies make it out to be, but this gun gave me 1 out of the 3 nosebleeds I've had in my life.

On a funny/annoying note: we were firing it at a friends land/lake years back. A friend of a friend had it and noticed a turtle swimming along the bank. He fired at it and (thankfully) shot low and missed. I was pissed because you don't shoot animals and especially not turtles (because they're awesome). I also almost laughed myself to death because the impact of the round in the water literally blew the turtle 2-3 feet straight up in the air. He landed back in and swam off unharmed to the nearest floating tree branch and just hung out sun-bathing.

That said, I did not shoot with that guy again.
TheFeniX
Sith Marauder

Post by TheFeniX »

Agent Fisher wrote:S&W M&P.40, with a Streamlight TLR-1. This is the gun that is on my hip every night at work. And with any luck, I'll never have to use it.
I hate you dude:
Went to Academy to buy targets for Saturday. Was thinking about the M&P because of this thread. Saw one. Held one. Bought one. Holy shit the slide release is a bastard to use. I hope that breaks in because otherwise my thumb is going to fall off. Thank God for the tac reload. Feels good though. Tight profile and the trigger is nice, although I didn't find out about it till I got home.

They also had a fucking wicked Competition XD 9mm. It felt nice... but was also $750 and I wasn't dropping that on a gun without really playing with the trigger (Academy doesn't allow dry fires).
Tsyroc
Emperor's Hand

Post by Tsyroc »

Borgholio wrote: It would probably be less effort to use those substitutes you speak of, but half the fun IS the huge cloud of smoke. :)
I agree, but they are my dad's guns and he also does all or most of the post firing cleaning so I keep my mouth shut. :)