GUNS GUNS GERNS

AMP: sci-fi art, regular art, pictures, photos, comics, music, etc.

Moderator: Beowulf

TheFeniX
Sith Marauder

Re: GUNS GUNS GERNS

Post by TheFeniX »

Lonestar wrote:The M-14/M1A uses a Garand-style action, and yeah, looks likea Garand with a magazine, but IIRC it uses a different round and the M-14 I shot in the navy used a synthetic stock rather than a wood one.
The M1A is basically the main civilian M-14 out there, strictly speaking it isn't a "Garand with a magazine". SA is pretty much the main producer of the M-14/M1A in the US, although Fulton makes some Hideiously expensive ones as well.
Thanks for the info. I did some more reading on it and came to find out I should have already known that: The M14 replaced the Garand.

But yea, those reprods cost more than my first car and I've already got my eye on a new set of golf irons.

The next purchase I do may not be for me. We've had transients sleeping at the back of our building along with a few other crimes committed around here during work hours. The cops are doing what they can, but they can't always be around. I've called about putting a fence in, but our secretary is sometimes at the office alone. I'm considering picking up a hammer-less Taurus or Ruger .38 for her to keep in a lock-box at the office. Since it's for the office, I was thinking the owner should do the purchase, but I really think we're better off giving the secretary an allowance and letting her purchase it herself.
Lonestar
Keeper of the Schwartz

Post by Lonestar »

Thanas wrote:Is there a drawback to using a NORINCO or are they just banned because US companies are scared of losing market shares?
No drawback.

Back in 1989 some guy in California used a Type 56(Chinese AK Clone) to waste a bunch of school kids. President Bush(41) signed an executive order banning the importation of Chinese semi-automatics after that. The ATF also caught NORINCO selling fully automatic weapons directly to gangs in California as well. During the Clinton Administration the ban on semi-automatics was expanded to include all foreign semi-automatic longarms. It's why in the US "new" AKs are actually assembled from a parts kit in the US with a certain percentage of the parts made in America, why SIG and FN both have factories stateside to get around the ban, etc. If I were to buy a SIG Sauer MSR it would have a "made in Kentucky" stamp on it.

Canadian gun laws specifically ban AK-47 type rifles, but not ARs or "Battle rifles" like the M-14. So, NORINCO M-14 clones are sold in Canada at about half of the cheapest American M-14(the Springfield M1A).

EDIT: I'll add that some Chinese versions of East Bloc weapons tend to be of higher quality make, like the SKS barrel having chrome lining, than East European versions of those wepaons.
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."
Lonestar
Keeper of the Schwartz

Post by Lonestar »

Accessorize ALL THE THINGS

DSC_1563 by BaronBucher, on Flickr

Eotech 512 for the AR-15

Tech Sights + GI Sling for the Marlin 795

Ncstar tactical light for the XD-9
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."
Alyeska
Federation Ambassador

Post by Alyeska »

That NCStar looks surprisingly good on the XD. I got one for paintball, but I might just have to slap one on my XD too.
"If the facts are on your side, pound on the facts. If the law is on your side, pound on the law. If neither is on your side, pound on the table."

"The captain claimed our people violated a 4,000 year old treaty forbidding us to develop hyperspace technology. Extermination of our planet was the consequence. The subject did not survive interrogation."
TheFeniX
Sith Marauder

Post by TheFeniX »

Eotech's really make all other apertures I've tried look like shit. They've got a 4x rear-sight that works in conjunction with the standard red-dot to give you a make-shift ACOG which also comes with a quick-release mechanism I've been looking at, but the price-point is as much as the sight itself (~$400). This here is the last of what I'll post:
The top is a Taurus 9mm the ol' lady was convinced was a high-dollar pistol her dad kept and barely fired due to it's value. I almost didn't tell her it's a pretty standard automatic (and one I'm not a huge fan of personally). Still a straight shooting pistol.
The middle is some kind of .25 automatic which I can't even remember the name of because I'll never fire it.
The bottom is a Davis .380 automatic that blows-ass to fire because the slide will cut the hell out of your hand. I'd trash-can it if I didn't have a safe place to lock it away.
Agent Fisher
Rabid Monkey

Post by Agent Fisher »

It's a Raven Arms P-25.
Lonestar
Keeper of the Schwartz

Post by Lonestar »

TheFeniX wrote:Eotech's really make all other apertures I've tried look like shit. They've got a 4x rear-sight that works in conjunction with the standard red-dot to give you a make-shift ACOG which also comes with a quick-release mechanism I've been looking at, but the price-point is as much as the sight itself (~$400).

I'm actively considering one of Primary Arms 3X magnifiers, which has a price point of around $100 and people seem to like it.

Also, after the Appleseed I'm going to this month, I'm going to make a road trip to Ohio and get a CMP Garand.
Agent Fisher
Rabid Monkey

Post by Agent Fisher »

The magnifiers are really nice. I used to use one with a red dot on my airsoft gun, then I sold that and bought a replica ACOG. Overall, I'd say go with a magnifier with a QD mount, that was you can have the best of both worls.

And my next purchase will probably be a rail for the top of my 870 so I can put a EOTech up there.
TheFeniX
Sith Marauder

Post by TheFeniX »

Lonestar wrote:I'm actively considering one of Primary Arms 3X magnifiers, which has a price point of around $100 and people seem to like it.
Hmm, $110 with a quick-release mount isn't a bad price. Those swing mounts are murderously expensive though. I might be looking into one of those apertures shortly.

On an unrelated note, my boss brought up some friendly 4-man-team pistol match taking place in the beginning of the new year being sponsored by a client. "Don't you do some of that fancy shooting stuff?" 7 round limit and only 1 reload per CoF. I could take my Colt for old times sake..... who the fuck am I kidding, I need to buy a holster for my new M&P.
His Divine Shadow
Commence Primary Ignition

Post by His Divine Shadow »

Personally I prefer a 1-4 or 1-6 scope. I used to have an aimpoint micro but the 4 MOA dot was way too large and the magnifiers where far too expensive for what they where IMO, so I sold the aimpoint, spent a lot of time looking at scope before settling on the new Bushnell 1-6x24:

at 1x it's very similar to using a red dot.
Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who did not.
Agent Fisher
Rabid Monkey

Post by Agent Fisher »

After playing Medal of Honor Warfighter, when I ever get around to sinking the money for an AR build, I want a SpecterDR sight.
TheFeniX
Sith Marauder

Post by TheFeniX »

Agent Fisher wrote:After playing Medal of Honor Warfighter, when I ever get around to sinking the money for an AR build, I want a SpecterDR sight.
Going high-dollar? Last I checked those bastards would set you back a couple grand. I got to look through one once, they're pretty nice.

I remember playing Counter-Strike Source and really wanting a Steyr AUG. I dug around a bit online and choked when I saw the prices, but saw more than a few deals getting in and around $1,000. The local store I used to hang around in had one. So, I walked in, asked to hold it, and immediately said something to the effect of "this gun sucks shit." The guy behind the counter couldn't stop laughing. The gun literally felt like a heavy super-soaker and the trigger was like a spray-nozzle for a water-hose. Some of the clones and Tacticool models look nice and probably handle better, but the stock AUG just does not feel "right" to me.

Since then, I generally won't go near anything I can't lay hands on (does that even make sense?). TBH, I am still kind of pissed at myself for buying that M&P without being able to dry-fire it first, even though it worked out great in the end.
Agent Fisher
Rabid Monkey

Post by Agent Fisher »

Yeah, nothing like buying a gun and then buying an optic worth multiple times the guns amount.
Lonestar
Keeper of the Schwartz

Post by Lonestar »

His Divine Shadow wrote:
at 1x it's very similar to using a red dot.

Spikes Tactical exports to Finland? Sweet.

My grandfather passed away this past Monday. My grandmother is going to check with my uncle first(one has already expressed zero interest in it and the other is untrustworthy), but I might end up putting this over the fireplace. If I had a fireplace.

Hunter Arms shotgun, Circa 1930. Labelling is nearly worn off, and it might be older. Like, 1913 older.

DSCF3440 by BaronBucher, on Flickr

DSCF3444 by BaronBucher, on Flickr

DSCF3446 by BaronBucher, on Flickr

Missing a hammer....
DSCF3443 by BaronBucher, on Flickr

"One time your grandfather went out and shot this gun, it misfired, and he came back half blind!". So THAT is why it's missing a hammer.
DSCF3447 by BaronBucher, on Flickr
His Divine Shadow

Sorry to hear about your grandfather, and yeah I wouldn't shoot that gun, looks like it's ready for the mantle.
Lonestar wrote:Spikes Tactical exports to Finland? Sweet.
Well they don't actually. There's a dedicated company for that called European Target Shooters Supplies. Exporting from the US is a bitch and expensive and the laws kept getting worse as I was trying to get my gun out of the country, nowadays I don't think you can get a gun out for less than $500 in fees, it's ruining their business but hey war on terror. But I wanted a proper .22lr AR15. I got the 5.56 upper locally later on, which you see on that picture.

Here's the .22lr upper:
Lonestar
Keeper of the Schwartz

Post by Lonestar »

You should be able to get a S&W M&P-15/22 just fine. heck, you can get them in Britain.
His Divine Shadow

Yeah but why? I've owned the Spikes since 2008 and it's the superior .22lr gun by far, it's made from real AR parts so I can have two uppers for the one lower. And it's bolt-action accurate, sold my CZ-452 because I had no use for it after I got this.

The only other .22lr offering I'd consider today is the one from Nordic Components.
Lonestar
Keeper of the Schwartz

Post by Lonestar »

You don't have to worry about changing the hammer in the lower when you change the upper?
His Divine Shadow

Nope, it's all compatible, just two pins out, new upper on, pins back in and I am set.
Lonestar
Keeper of the Schwartz

Post by Lonestar »

His Divine Shadow wrote:Nope, it's all compatible, just two pins out, new upper on, pins back in and I am set.

Sweet.

I had actually been thinking of getting a New Frontier lower($100!) and a .22LR upper and everyone was saying that the hammer for the lower needed to be swapped out for between rimfire and centerfire cartridges. Of course, NF is also a Polymer lower :P
His Divine Shadow

Well if you have an AR already, you could just get the .22lr upper. The uppers from Spikes, Tactical Solutions, CMMG and Nordic Components all fit on a regular lower.

The upside with sharing a lower is you only gotta pay once when you say upgrade the trigger and you get to reap the benefits for that on both the 223 and .22lr. I'm looking at getting a Geissele S3G trigger sometime in the future, I'd hate having to buy that twice.

Edit: I have to say Hickok45 (who is awesome) really gave me the 10/22 bug with this video, it'd be a nice little plinker to have (though I think it would be difficult to get a permit for a third 22lr rifle in Finland today, because having many guns is bad):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B3QFSdKr ... e=g-high-u
Lonestar
Keeper of the Schwartz

Post by Lonestar »

I like Hickok45 quite a bit more than FPS Russia. He's a crack shot and doesn't boil everything down to "hurr look at the shit I assplode".

I saw that 10/22 Takedown video as well. If I were to get a takedown .22LR, it would probably be that.

I'd originally thought about getting the Marlin Papoose(essentially the break down version of my Marlin 795), but it lacks a stock that goes further up the barrel, and the 10/22 doesn't.
TheFeniX
Sith Marauder

Post by TheFeniX »

Lonestar wrote:Hunter Arms shotgun, Circa 1930. Labelling is nearly worn off, and it might be older. Like, 1913 older.
How in the Hell did the trigger guard get in front of the triggers? Is that a thing or is the guard plate just on there for the benefit of the picture?

Sorry for your loss BTW.
Lonestar
Keeper of the Schwartz

Post by Lonestar »

The front is threaded and you can twist it off. I wasn't messing with it because it's old/rusted and I was worried I would rip it off or something when I started to move it back.
Alyeska
Federation Ambassador

Post by Alyeska »

No pictures yet, but I just bought my first revolver. Ruger GP100. Always wanted a .357 revolver, and this one looked pretty nice.
"If the facts are on your side, pound on the facts. If the law is on your side, pound on the law. If neither is on your side, pound on the table."

"The captain claimed our people violated a 4,000 year old treaty forbidding us to develop hyperspace technology. Extermination of our planet was the consequence. The subject did not survive interrogation."