GUNS GUNS GERNS

AMP: sci-fi art, regular art, pictures, photos, comics, music, etc.

Moderator: Beowulf

Agent Fisher
Rabid Monkey

Re: GUNS GUNS GERNS

Post by Agent Fisher »

So, just in case anyone was wondering, my Taser works great. Especially when the guy is shirtless and won't stop fighting and throwing elbows and trying to punch people.
Lonestar
Keeper of the Schwartz

Post by Lonestar »

Haha
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."
His Divine Shadow
Commence Primary Ignition

Post by His Divine Shadow »

Got my ruger back from the gunsmith today:

Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who did not.
Lonestar
Keeper of the Schwartz

Post by Lonestar »

The only possible reason why you would want a suppressor is to kill people.

Report to the reeducation camp, comrade.

I went to a "Appleseed" yesterday, and brought my Dad along. I shot my Marlin 795 while he shot his new AR-15(he bought one after I got one). At the end of the day I got a 140-ish on the AQT and my Dad(who hadn't fired a M-16/AR-15 since he got out of the Marines over a decade ago) got over a 180.

Fucking Marine riflemen.
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."
His Divine Shadow

I have so many suppressors I have lost one (its ok it was only 30 euros, that one there is 120 though), one I took apart and never put together again (got it free with a rifle, it was ruined inside).

BTW I have found another good gun person on youtube, sierra645, very educational for long range shooting. I am now interested in taking up that kind of shooting but sadly we lack proper ranges here, max is 300 meters.
ryacko
Padawan Learner

Post by ryacko »

Considering purchasing a .22lr rifle in CA. Planning on buying from Big 5, hopefully when they have a sale.
What would you guys suggest?
Suffering from the diminishing marginal utility of wealth.
Borgholio
Sith Acolyte

Post by Borgholio »

.22 long rifles at Big 5 go for under $150 normally...around $120 on sale. Been meaning to get one for myself too.
You will be assimilated...bunghole!
TheFeniX
Sith Marauder

Post by TheFeniX »

ryacko wrote:Considering purchasing a .22lr rifle in CA. Planning on buying from Big 5, hopefully when they have a sale.
.22 LRs comes in so many different varieties, it's insane. Ruger makes a real nice Magazine loader, but they aren't cheap. Browning has a nice stock loader and Interarms (and likely some other manufacturers) have solid knock-offs. Browning even has Lever-action .22s that look fun as Hell to shoot, but I've never messed with them.

I personally love my Interarms Stock-loader. I don't think I've ever had a misfire that wasn't a dud round and it's very accurate. Cheap as Hell too, at least when my dad bought it for me. I don't know what they're going for now.
His Divine Shadow

Depends, semi, bolt or lever action? Most of the time you get better quality and more bang for buck by buying used guns as a general rule though.

The best .22 levers are the Marlin 39As (and the Marlin 39 Mountie or 1897 cowboy versions are even better) and 1970-1980 eras winchester 9422s, but they command a premium even used in the US. A modern okay lever would be the Henry H001 or the Browning offering, I like the browning because of the levers super short lever-throw, you just flex your fingers and that's enough to cycle it, no need to take your hand off the stock.
Lonestar
Keeper of the Schwartz

Post by Lonestar »

ryacko wrote:Considering purchasing a .22lr rifle in CA. Planning on buying from Big 5, hopefully when they have a sale.

I have a Marlin 795, which is a semi-automatic detachable magazine fed .22lr for under $150. Marlin actually makes a tube-fed version of it for even less.(Marlin 60)

A lot of people like the Ruger 10/22, which goes for around $200 (or sometimes less). I was at a Appleseed on Saturday and I would say that most of the rifles there were Ruger 10/22s. There are more expensive versions of the 10/22 that are "takeowns", tacticool, etc. but if this is your first .22lr rifle the basic $200 model would probably be fine.

If you want a lever-action .22lr get the Henry lever-action, or the Henry Golden Boy. If you want to seek out a Marlin 39A(which HDS recommended) seek out a used one that was made before Remington bought Marlin. Marlin has had serious QC issues with the lever-action guns since Remington bought the company.

(Remington fired everyone in the factory with the intent to move production and the workers wrecked the equipment on the way out)

I would avoid Mossbergs "tactical" .22lr that looks like a AR-15; Yeah, it's cheap, and it's cheaply made. Not robust at all. The instructors at the Appleseed event say every single one that has been brought to these things falls apart by the end of the day, meanwhile the cheaper Marlin 795s and Ruger 10/22s keep on chugging.

EDIT:Forgot to add for Bolt-action. If you want a Bolt Action, consider a Savage Mk 2.
ryacko
Padawan Learner

Post by ryacko »

Thank you, that was very informative. Currently leaning towards a takedown, might ultimately decide to get a 10/22 with synthetic stock.

I don't like bolt actions, I want to shoot a hundred rounds at the range without tiring.

I don't like tacticool guns either, I mean, seriously. It's for those who like to play army in the Militia Movement and bad mouth the government.

Depends, semi, bolt or lever action? Most of the time you get better quality and more bang for buck by buying used guns as a general rule though.
I want my first gun to be new. No experience with guns, so I want to take the safest bet.
My second gun is probably going to be in a higher caliber and used.
Suffering from the diminishing marginal utility of wealth.
Lonestar
Keeper of the Schwartz

Post by Lonestar »

If this is your first gun, I'd recommend not spending the extra cash on a takedown model. Use the savings on ammo/more magazines/range time.
His Divine Shadow

ryacko wrote:I don't like tacticool guns either, I mean, seriously. It's for those who like to play army in the Militia Movement and bad mouth the government.
This is an idiotic and obviously false statement. But sure if there's anything gun owners as a group lack it's bigotry and a tendency to make sweeping generalizations about other groups of people, so at least you are bringing something unique and new to the table.
Lonestar
Keeper of the Schwartz

Post by Lonestar »

Yeah, It couldn't be because the AR-15 is a finely engineered piece of machinery that is infinitely modable, could it?

What's great is he wants a take down gun, which, unless it's like a Marlin Guide Gun, has it's own elements of "tacticool" in it.
TheFeniX
Sith Marauder

Post by TheFeniX »

ryacko wrote:I don't like tacticool guns either, I mean, seriously. It's for those who like to play army in the Militia Movement and bad mouth the government.
I don't know about other places, but "tacticool" around here isn't about playing militia or going "Red Dawn up in this bitch." We call that "going batshit crazy." It's a jab used by gun owners against the whole "form over function" shit that's been pervading the industry and manufacturers stamping "Tactical" on fucking everything from flashlights to holsters to shooting glasses.

There's nothing "Tacticool" about something like an AR-15 or it's derivatives. But, if I see a guy drive up to the range with an AR-15 loaded to bear with a flashlight, scope, a red-dot on the 45 degree, and a laser-sight: that's a "tacticool guy." Yes, I've seen a fucking laser-sight on an AR-15. The guy was shooting at 25 yards and not drilling bullseyes. The range officer and I spent like 15 minutes just laughing at the guy.

I also use it when poking fun of the "Wood Stock = Hunting Rifle" vs "Polymer Stock = Assault Rifle" brigade. I don't have a problem with polymer stocks. I have a problem with people who think they're "better" than wood stocks either because it's newer technology or "because it looks better."

Tacticool is our word! You can't use it! Bwahahaha!
His Divine Shadow

Just to clarify though, just the scope and 45 degree red dot combo is more likely a sign of a competitive shooter. That particular combo is decidedly non-military and something developed mainly for the civilian shooting sports like IPSC/3gun where some guys prefer a high power scope rather than a 1-4 or similar low power scope. That will work superb for hitting the targets that can be over 300 yards away sometimes, but will pretty bad at shooting close range with, hence a 45 degree red dot.

ATM I have a scope and light on my AR, since it gets dark at 16:00 I simply could not shoot without it on a weekday since the light part of the day comes and goes while I am at work. I have literally not seen the sun since sunday.
Aaron MkII
Jedi Master

Post by Aaron MkII »

ryacko wrote:Thank you, that was very informative. Currently leaning towards a takedown, might ultimately decide to get a 10/22 with synthetic stock.

I don't like bolt actions, I want to shoot a hundred rounds at the range without tiring.

I don't like tacticool guns either, I mean, seriously. It's for those who like to play army in the Militia Movement and bad mouth the government.

I want my first gun to be new. No experience with guns, so I want to take the safest bet.
My second gun is probably going to be in a higher caliber and used.
Do you know what "tacticool" and surplus guns bring to the table? I don't need a fucking screwdriver to field strip like I do my Marlin 336BL
TheFeniX
Sith Marauder

Post by TheFeniX »

His Divine Shadow wrote:Just to clarify though, just the scope and 45 degree red dot combo is more likely a sign of a competitive shooter.
See, I thought that until I saw the guy put out probably 5 full mags at 25 yards and having a consistency on par with just grabbing a handful of BBs and throwing them at a target. After every mag, he would do the "pretty good shooting" head nod and load up another mag without even messing with the gun. If that guy was a competitive shooter, they have to invent a new bracket for him.

When the range officer's first comment upon seeing him was "It's this fucking guy again," I'm not exactly swimming in the deep end of the confidence pool. I'm betting more on a guy with a lot of money who thinks gadgets make a shooter.

EDIT: Let me give a bit more info. The guy posted up a CHL target (the hella large ones) and was hitting literally from the head to the groin and even managing to miss the silhouette with more than a few rounds.
His Divine Shadow

Yeah definitely those types of people around too.
Aaron MkII
Jedi Master

Post by Aaron MkII »

Lonestar wrote:
Thanas wrote:Is there a drawback to using a NORINCO or are they just banned because US companies are scared of losing market shares?
No drawback.

Back in 1989 some guy in California used a Type 56(Chinese AK Clone) to waste a bunch of school kids. President Bush(41) signed an executive order banning the importation of Chinese semi-automatics after that. The ATF also caught NORINCO selling fully automatic weapons directly to gangs in California as well. During the Clinton Administration the ban on semi-automatics was expanded to include all foreign semi-automatic longarms. It's why in the US "new" AKs are actually assembled from a parts kit in the US with a certain percentage of the parts made in America, why SIG and FN both have factories stateside to get around the ban, etc. If I were to buy a SIG Sauer MSR it would have a "made in Kentucky" stamp on it.

Canadian gun laws specifically ban AK-47 type rifles, but not ARs or "Battle rifles" like the M-14. So, NORINCO M-14 clones are sold in Canada at about half of the cheapest American M-14(the Springfield M1A).

EDIT: I'll add that some Chinese versions of East Bloc weapons tend to be of higher quality make, like the SKS barrel having chrome lining, than East European versions of those wepaons.
Eh...just to clarify. AK's are Prohibited by name, as is anything using the action and a few that just look like it. Battle rifles aren't generally Prohib or Restricted (can have but more red tape) but some are banned by name, like the FAL.

NORINCO M14 clones up here often seemed to be bought with the idea of "fixing" it up for competitions, with the savings used to put in better parts or have a smith customize it for you.

There's a guy who goes by "M14Doctor" up here and that's all he does.
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Post by Eternal_Freedom »

Out of curiosity, why is the FAL banned by name?
Baltar: "I don't want to miss a moment of the last Battlestar's destruction!"
Centurion: "Sir, I really think you should look at the other Battlestar."
Baltar: "What are you babbling about other...it's impossible!"
Centurion: "No. It is a Battlestar."

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
Aaron MkII
Jedi Master

Post by Aaron MkII »

I'm not entirely sure. I think it's because some countries had full auto versions and our laws seem obsessed with "converting", or rather preventing it from being converted in full auto. I have no idea how feasible that is but the RCMP lab will test new imports for up to a year to see if it can be done.
Aaron MkII
Jedi Master

Post by Aaron MkII »

My latest acquisition on the left, a Rossi Ranch Hand in .357/.38 It will eventually have a proper stock and a rear peep sight because it is absolutely useless as is. The muzzle flip is incredible.

The right is a 1943 Mosin Nagant. The only firearm I own that is referred to as a male.

His name is "Mo"
Lonestar
Keeper of the Schwartz

Post by Lonestar »

TheFeniX wrote: I also use it when poking fun of the "Wood Stock = Hunting Rifle" vs "Polymer Stock = Assault Rifle" brigade. I don't have a problem with polymer stocks. I have a problem with people who think they're "better" than wood stocks either because it's newer technology or "because it looks better."

Tacticool is our word! You can't use it! Bwahahaha!
Tacticool:

Tactical:

DSC_1525 by BaronBucher, on Flickr

Aaron that Rossi looks like a Henry Mare's Leg.
Aaron MkII
Jedi Master

Post by Aaron MkII »

Same thing, just made by Rossi/Taurus/Braztech then Henry. Utterly worthless out of the box. But I have a proper stock and a peep sight for it, dropping it off at the smith next week. My Mosin gets a thumbhole stock at the same time, cause the issue stock just doesn't work with my mangled hand.