GUNS GUNS GERNS

AMP: sci-fi art, regular art, pictures, photos, comics, music, etc.

Moderator: Beowulf

Agent Fisher
Rabid Monkey

Re: GUNS GUNS GERNS

Post by Agent Fisher »

TheFeniX wrote:
Agent Fisher wrote:S&W M&P.40, with a Streamlight TLR-1. This is the gun that is on my hip every night at work. And with any luck, I'll never have to use it.
I hate you dude:
*snip pic*
Went to Academy to buy targets for Saturday. Was thinking about the M&P because of this thread. Saw one. Held one. Bought one. Holy shit the slide release is a bastard to use. I hope that breaks in because otherwise my thumb is going to fall off. Thank God for the tac reload. Feels good though. Tight profile and the trigger is nice, although I didn't find out about it till I got home.

They also had a fucking wicked Competition XD 9mm. It felt nice... but was also $750 and I wasn't dropping that on a gun without really playing with the trigger (Academy doesn't allow dry fires).
Don't hate buddy. :D

Well, you can't really dry fire, cause it's got a magazine disconnect. Well, mine does. And as for slide release, yeah mine is nice and broke in.
His Divine Shadow
Commence Primary Ignition

Post by His Divine Shadow »

TheFeniX wrote:That blackpowder Colt I posted says specifically in the instruction manual to avoid any kind of smokeless powder including gunpowder or that smokeless "blackpowder" they came up with more than a few decades ago. I quote blackpowder because, based on my limited understanding, that term only applies to the "corrosive, big puff of black smoke" powder that Borgholio described.
There's a buncha stuff available nowadays, Pyrodex, Triple-7 etc. But if you are gonna muck around with black powder I would keep to the real stuff myself. Hopefully next year or the year after I will have some cash stowed away to put into a Uberti 1873 Winchester replica. Either in .44-40 or .44spl, I will make it into a dedicated BP shooting gun. I read that a mix of ballistol and water is an excellent BP cleaner. I made some for general use on smokeless and it's quite nice, though one has to be careful to get it all off, then finish with a coat of pure ballistol.
To keep this party going:
My dad's S&W .44 Mag. Wood grips are the bomb. He's got another longer barrel with a scope mounted on it. I think he used to deer hunt with it, but that was thankfully before my time on this earth. Anyways, the recoil isn't what the movies make it out to be, but this gun gave me 1 out of the 3 nosebleeds I've had in my life.
That's actually a Dan Wesson revolver, not an S&W. DW's are pretty cool revolvers though, built like a brick shithouse, it's a more stout platform than the S&W N-frame. I would so take up hunting if I could use my 629 (been reading too much Elmer Keith), but handgun hunting is illegal in the whole EU sadly.

Oh and a gun I guess:
Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who did not.
TheFeniX
Sith Marauder

Post by TheFeniX »

Agent Fisher wrote:Well, you can't really dry fire, cause it's got a magazine disconnect. Well, mine does. And as for slide release, yeah mine is nice and broke in.
My model fires with the mag in or out. The mag release seems to have loosened up a bit while I worked with it during another round of Dr. Who episodes, but it'll likely take 1,000 rounds or so to get where I want it.

That said, I was able to test out the reset more than a few times last night (rack slide, pull trigger, keep trigger depressed, rack slide again, move trigger forward to find reset). It's nowhere near a 1911, but also way ahead of my PX4 and XD. I see this gun being easy to rapid fire accurately. I'll find out Saturday.
His Divine Shadow wrote:That's actually a Dan Wesson revolver, not an S&W. DW's are pretty cool revolvers though, built like a brick shithouse, it's a more stout platform than the S&W N-frame. I would so take up hunting if I could use my 629 (been reading too much Elmer Keith), but handgun hunting is illegal in the whole EU sadly.
See, I knew that because my dad has corrected me 6-7 times over the course of 20 years. But I still call it a S&W for reasons I can't begin to comprehend. It's like with my .22LR. It's an Interarms, but if you ask me who made it, I'll immediately say "Browning, wait no... yea, Browning? Just look on the barrel."
Beowulf
The Patrician

Post by Beowulf »

Agent Fisher wrote:Don't hate buddy. :D

Well, you can't really dry fire, cause it's got a magazine disconnect. Well, mine does. And as for slide release, yeah mine is nice and broke in.
Magazine disconnects are an abomination unto Nuggan. There are states which require them, in which case you might see them on models redesigned for that state.
"preemptive killing of cops might not be such a bad idea from a personal saftey[sic] standpoint..." --Keevan Colton
"There's a word for bias you can't see: Yours." -- William Saletan
Agent Fisher
Rabid Monkey

Post by Agent Fisher »

Have you seen my location, Beowulf? I live in the glorious PRC. People's Republic of California.

Though, I will admit, the disconnect is a nifty little feature if I have get into a fight where weapon retention is an issue. But I'd still rather not have to deal with it.
Beowulf
The Patrician

Post by Beowulf »

I know about the abomination that is CA's gun laws... Everyone involved should be... not shot... hung by the neck until dead? :P For the children's sake, I mean...

Anyways, one of my guns:

Yes, that would be approximately one basic load of ammunition.
"preemptive killing of cops might not be such a bad idea from a personal saftey[sic] standpoint..." --Keevan Colton
Lonestar
Keeper of the Schwartz

Post by Lonestar »

What grade is that? From CMP, da?
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."
Beowulf
The Patrician

Post by Beowulf »

Lonestar wrote:What grade is that? From CMP, da?
Da, CMP gun. Careful analysis will reveal that it's not shooting .30-06. Which should tell you everything you need to know.

That said, another gern!

Yes, I did erase the serial number off the pic. Been thinking of getting a wood grips. I love it... hard to impossible to find now. Can get something similar, but it'd cost more.
Zwinmar
Jedi Master

Post by Zwinmar »

My new toy for hunting season. In 12 ga., Pardner Pump.
Lonestar
Keeper of the Schwartz

Post by Lonestar »

Beowulf wrote: Da, CMP gun. Careful analysis will reveal that it's not shooting .30-06. Which should tell you everything you need to know.

Right, so Special Grade?

Zwinmar, hunting? Aren't Pardner shottys mainly HDWs?
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."
Zwinmar
Jedi Master

Post by Zwinmar »

Apparently the base model is, but this one has the full barrel length with choke.

Website

Model Pardner® Pump-Synthetic
Gauge 12 Gauge (NP1-2S8) Order Online From Gallery of Guns
20 Gauge (NP1-2S6) Order Online From Gallery of Guns
Stock Black synthetic with grooved fore-end and ventilated recoil pad.
Barrel 28" (12 Ga); 26" (20 Ga)
Chamber Up to 3"
Magazine Capacity 5 (3-shot plug furnished)
Sights Bead front; drilled and tapped for scope base
Choke Screw-in Modified
Length 48-1/8" (12 Ga.) 46-1/8" (20 Ga.)
Length of Pull 14-1/4"
Drop at Comb 1-1/2"
Drop at Heel 2-1/2"
Weight 7-1/2 lbs.
Owner's Manual Download Owner's Manual
Aaron MkII
Jedi Master

Post by Aaron MkII »

H&R/NEF right?

They make good no frills guns.
His Divine Shadow
Commence Primary Ignition

Post by His Divine Shadow »

Speaking of shotguns. Benelli M1 Super 90:
Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who did not.
TheFeniX
Sith Marauder

Post by TheFeniX »

The S&W M&P 9mm is a classy weapon. I'm pretty sure that was the first time firing it, but the wife doesn't remember when she took the photo. I put a full mag out (17 rounds) in 6-7 seconds. You can see my accuracy suffers (I was shooting at the top left target), but the consistency is spot on. I think my issue was that my stance has become shit from non-practice and I was still sizing up the sight line on the pistol. It's also possible I was "hammering down" on the trigger which would account for being consistently low. I usually do that when my stance is crap. That said, it's a fantastic weapon with a great trigger pull and reset.

On another note: a friend out that day had a .40 M&P Compact which she was having a lot of trouble with. I have to say, even I couldn't get a consistent grouping with that pistol. It left me woefully unimpressed like most compacts do, especially compacts with >9mm caliber.

I did get a chance to shoot a 2-liter full of water with the Winchester 38.55. Not all that impressive. Then we shot a gallon jug of water with a Mosin Nagant: BOOOOM!
Agent Fisher
Rabid Monkey

Post by Agent Fisher »

I knew you'd love it.
Lonestar
Keeper of the Schwartz

Post by Lonestar »

My Glook Croatian Glook Springfield XD-9!

Alyeska
Federation Ambassador

Post by Alyeska »

XD9 is one of my favorite pistols. Perfectly sized for a 9mm. Not too big, not too small. HS Produkt made a very good design and the partnership with Springfield Armory has worked out very well.
"If the facts are on your side, pound on the facts. If the law is on your side, pound on the law. If neither is on your side, pound on the table."

"The captain claimed our people violated a 4,000 year old treaty forbidding us to develop hyperspace technology. Extermination of our planet was the consequence. The subject did not survive interrogation."
TheFeniX
Sith Marauder

Post by TheFeniX »

Agent Fisher wrote:I knew you'd love it.
When you're right, you're right.
Alyeska wrote:XD9 is one of my favorite pistols. Perfectly sized for a 9mm. Not too big, not too small. HS Produkt made a very good design and the partnership with Springfield Armory has worked out very well.
Except for the price hike. I've talked to a few guys who got their Non-SA XDs for under $300 before SA took over the manufacturer. There was also a lot of "Glock Killer" talk around them based on the fact that the weapon was half the price of a Glock and was still very reliable. I never understood the comments because, yea they have the same design type (SA-only and no safeties), but the guns handle and fire completely different.

Though, even at the $450 I paid for mine, was a great buy.

Insane side-note: CX4s are selling for $800 at Academy! I bought mine for ~$500 from Gander years back. I don't understand the price-hike when ARs and their derivatives have, over the past 5 years or so, dropped from $1500 bare-bones to well under $1k.
Alyeska
Federation Ambassador

Post by Alyeska »

TheFeniX wrote:Except for the price hike. I've talked to a few guys who got their Non-SA XDs for under $300 before SA took over the manufacturer. There was also a lot of "Glock Killer" talk around them based on the fact that the weapon was half the price of a Glock and was still very reliable. I never understood the comments because, yea they have the same design type (SA-only and no safeties), but the guns handle and fire completely different.

Though, even at the $450 I paid for mine, was a great buy.
They did some minor work on the design. New finish that is more corrosion resistant. I bought mine when they had the awesome pack that included the tac light. Very reasonable prices.
"If the facts are on your side, pound on the facts. If the law is on your side, pound on the law. If neither is on your side, pound on the table."

"The captain claimed our people violated a 4,000 year old treaty forbidding us to develop hyperspace technology. Extermination of our planet was the consequence. The subject did not survive interrogation."
Lonestar
Keeper of the Schwartz

Post by Lonestar »

TheFeniX wrote:
Insane side-note: CX4s are selling for $800 at Academy! I bought mine for ~$500 from Gander years back. I don't understand the price-hike when ARs and their derivatives have, over the past 5 years or so, dropped from $1500 bare-bones to well under $1k.
Probably because the AR-15 is effectively a "open source" weapon at this point...you can get polymer lowers for $100 and complete uppers for $350. I'd wager Beretta ain't OSing the CX4 anytime soon.

Of course, the M-14 patent ran out long ago as well, and that doesn't stop the cost of a the bottom of the barrel M1A from Springfield coming in at 1400 :( Obviously, what we need is the ban to be lifted on importing cheap NORINCO clones...
Alyeska
Federation Ambassador

Post by Alyeska »

I got to shoot a Smith M&P yesterday in 9mm. Just another guy at the range and he was happy to let me put a string through it. A very comfortable and easy firing pistol. I was amazed and am a total convert on the series.

Agent Fisher
Rabid Monkey

Post by Agent Fisher »

Yes, more and more will convert to the M&P.

*EVIL LAUGH!*
TheFeniX
Sith Marauder

Post by TheFeniX »

Lonestar wrote:Probably because the AR-15 is effectively a "open source" weapon at this point...you can get polymer lowers for $100 and complete uppers for $350. I'd wager Beretta ain't OSing the CX4 anytime soon.
I'm a pretty big Beretta whore and it just surprises me to see a price-jump like this and not on anything else. Maybe popularity was waning and they upped the price to try and compete with other carbines/rifles. After-all, price = quality to some people. Either way, it's still a great gun, but I think $800 is pushing it. Hammerless revolvers seem to have gone this route as well, or maybe I just think they were cheaper than they actually were.
Of course, the M-14 patent ran out long ago as well, and that doesn't stop the cost of a the bottom of the barrel M1A from Springfield coming in at 1400 :( Obviously, what we need is the ban to be lifted on importing cheap NORINCO clones...
Is that the magazine-fed M1 Garand? All I know, is I want an original woodstock reprod of a Garand. I shot one once and have always wanted a clip-fed weapon. Last I checked, the were not cheap by any stretch of the word.

Anyways, let's keep this ball rolling! What's a gun without a bag to hold it? I bought this way back from MLE when we were shooting more and more pistol matches. It has storage for days and mag pouches to match. The inside pulls out so you can cut your weight down if you're on the move. One of my better (if not expensive) buys. I've crammed 6 full-size pistols and over 1,000 rounds into it. Weights a ton, but nothing's ripped yet.
Here's the Wife's 22 Gauge Springfield side-by-side. She's been dying to shoot it since the father-in-law dropped it off, so I need to get around to digging up some ammo for it.
Lonestar
Keeper of the Schwartz

Post by Lonestar »

TheFeniX wrote: Is that the magazine-fed M1 Garand? All I know, is I want an original woodstock reprod of a Garand. I shot one once and have always wanted a clip-fed weapon. Last I checked, the were not cheap by any stretch of the word.

The M-14/M1A uses a Garand-style action, and yeah, looks likea Garand with a magazine, but IIRC it uses a different round and the M-14 I shot in the navy used a synthetic stock rather than a wood one.

The M1A is basically the main civilian M-14 out there, strictly speaking it isn't a "Garand with a magazine". SA is pretty much the main producer of the M-14/M1A in the US, although Fulton makes some Hideiously expensive ones as well.

It's rough looking at a Canadian guns site and seeing a NORINCO M-14 being sold for $700. :(
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Is there a drawback to using a NORINCO or are they just banned because US companies are scared of losing market shares?
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs