GUNS GUNS GERNS

AMP: sci-fi art, regular art, pictures, photos, comics, music, etc.

Moderator: Beowulf

Coyote
Rabid Monkey

Re: GUNS GUNS GERNS

Post by Coyote »

Eternal_Freedom wrote:Wait, button-based magazine ejectors? Damn that's stupid.
Huh; so the lever-based mag eject on my AK would be fine? These people do not think things through.

Hey, if they want to make another stupid, foolish, and pointless AWB then it's no skin off my nose. Hell, IIRC when they banned "flash hiders" the industry switched to "muzzle brakes" which was found to improve accuracy, so maybe we'll find some other new, unthought of technological advantage, heheheh....

I actually sold a few guns recently, hoping to make room for new ones eventually. Stuff I hadn't shot in years just collecting dust in my closet.

Still have the Glock 17; Mossberg-590; AKMS; T-33 Tokarev and K-98 Mauser.

I'd love to get one of those Gunsite Scout bolt-actions but I will wait until some of the panic clears. People are snapping that shit up fast even though that's not the kind of thing that is threatened.
Something about Libertarianism always bothered me. Then one day, I realized what it was:
Libertarian philosophy can be boiled down to the phrase, "Work Will Make You Free."

In Libertarianism, there is no Government, so the Bosses are free to exploit the Workers.
In Communism, there is no Government, so the Workers are free to exploit the Bosses.
So in Libertarianism, man exploits man, but in Communism, its the other way around!

If all you want to do is have some harmless, mindless fun, go H3RE INST3ADZ0RZ!!
Grrr! Fight my Brute, you pansy!
His Divine Shadow
Commence Primary Ignition

Post by His Divine Shadow »

I'm thinking of moving up in the gun world and acquire some proper guns, like a 4 3/4" barreled Single Action Army and an 1873 Winchester replica, both probably in .44-40 or .45LC for black powder shooting. 19th century assault weapons.
Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who did not.
starslayer
Jedi Knight

Post by starslayer »

Coyote wrote:Huh; so the lever-based mag eject on my AK would be fine? These people do not think things through.
This one actually has a specific purpose. In CA, a magazine is considered non-detachable if you need a tool of any kind to detach it. What people have done with ARs and other such rifles is just install bullet buttons to get around this so they can keep the pistol grip and stuff*. This would ban bullet buttons.

*The way the CA AWB works, the evil features (pistol grip, thumbhole stock, flash hider, vertical foregrip, grenade launcher, and collapsible/folding stock) are only evil if the weapon is a semi-automatic centerfire rifle with a detachable magazine. On a bolt-action or with something like an SKS you can go hog wild with pistol grip, fancy stocks and all that crap. Or just keep the detachable mag and install a fin on the pistol grip so your thumb can't wrap around it, etc.
Coyote
Rabid Monkey

Post by Coyote »

Damn, that's, um... crazy. So they're going with the same old thing-- if it "looks scary" then it is bad and has evil spirits; if it has a hunting-style stock then it is acceptable. For now.

And I remember when the thumbhole stock was kosher.

That's something about American liberals I can't wrap my mind around. They can argue about how many parts per million of fracking fluid it takes to pollute pristine groundwater with selenium and arsenic; they can debate real-dollar inflation rations vs. purchasing power for the last three decades to the penny; but for fuck's sake when it comes to basic understanding of firearms, it's all "we should ban those fully-automatic semi-auto machineguns with the 500-round clipazines that have nuk-yuu-lur powered glow in the dark sights that I saw once on Sarah Connor Chronicles!"

Fuck me.
Something about Libertarianism always bothered me. Then one day, I realized what it was:
Libertarian philosophy can be boiled down to the phrase, "Work Will Make You Free."

In Libertarianism, there is no Government, so the Bosses are free to exploit the Workers.
In Communism, there is no Government, so the Workers are free to exploit the Bosses.
So in Libertarianism, man exploits man, but in Communism, its the other way around!

If all you want to do is have some harmless, mindless fun, go H3RE INST3ADZ0RZ!!
Grrr! Fight my Brute, you pansy!
TheFeniX
Sith Marauder

Post by TheFeniX »

Ok so... I've come to the conclusion that besides getting back into IDPA or IPSC, my options are limited in progressing as a shooter. Maybe this would be a good place to get some info. I don't hunt, but one thing I've never spent the time the really master was shooting scoped rifles. Irons I can rock all day and hit pretty much anything I can actually see. I want a good rifle I can mount a scope on and get good with at 100-200 yards and also possibly take deer hunting with me because more than a few people have been pestering me more than usual to do so. I don't know much about rifles, was never my thing.

On this note, I could always borrow the wife's .270, but I've shot my dad's and never been a huge fan. I also have those two Winchester lever-actions, but I'm not about to jack them up trying to mount scope rails on them. People have had success using AR-15 derivatives, but I'm just not that kind of guy. There's also the Ruger Mini-14, but I don't know about .223 for hunting either way.

I was digging around Academy and stumbled upon two different rifles I'm interested in. The .45-70 Lever-Action and a bastardized Judge .45LC. Both look extremely fun to shoot and the .45-70 also comes with integrated picatinny rails. I don't know what I'd need to do to get a scope on the .45LC. Anyone have any experience with these types of rifles? Am I going to get murdered on ammo pricing? The .45-70 is like $50 for 20, the LC is half that.

Is this one of those "Just use the .270 you crazy fucker" kind of deals?
Beowulf
The Patrician

Post by Beowulf »

Just use the .270 you crazy fucker. Use the $450 you would have spent on a new gun to get better at shooting it.
"preemptive killing of cops might not be such a bad idea from a personal saftey[sic] standpoint..." --Keevan Colton
"There's a word for bias you can't see: Yours." -- William Saletan
Aaron MkII
Jedi Master

Post by Aaron MkII »

Beowulf wrote:Just use the .270 you crazy fucker. Use the $450 you would have spent on a new gun to get better at shooting it.
This. Use what you've got unless you really don't like it. The money spent on a gun could be better spent on .270 ammo, a bipod or a better scope as well.
TheFeniX
Sith Marauder

Post by TheFeniX »

Supposedly, her dad was a big time medium and small game hunter before he died. She claims he spent triple on the scope what he spent on the gun. There's also multiple boxes of .270 Win that were dumped off on us as well. I suppose I could break the thing out of the case, give it a once over, and pop a pic or two up. There's also a 7mm mag crammed into the gun safe as well, but I don't recall any scope mounts on it.
Aaron MkII
Jedi Master

Post by Aaron MkII »

Yeah, may as well give it a go.

I'd avoid .45-70 just for recoil and cost of ammo but if your looking to get into precision or distance shooting, Savage makes some bolt actions with a fantastic trigger (accutrigger) for around a similar price.

.45-70 doesn't shoot very flat either iirc.
Lonestar
Keeper of the Schwartz

Post by Lonestar »

Aaron MkII wrote:Yeah, may as well give it a go.

I'd avoid .45-70 just for recoil and cost of ammo but if your looking to get into precision or distance shooting, Savage makes some bolt actions with a fantastic trigger (accutrigger) for around a similar price.

Well, how the hell else would you stop zombie bison? RIDDLE ME THAT
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."
Torben
Padawan Learner
Location: Somewhere just to the left of reality, or SW Florida

Post by Torben »

Lonestar wrote:

When you absolutely, positively, must stop a ton of undead beefalo...Panzerschreck, accept no substitute.

Sorry, could not resist :)

A link to my Glock 19 (can't figure out how to post pics inline at the moment)
http://s961.beta.photobucket.com/user/t ... sort=3&o=0

Used to also have a Mosin Nagant M44 carbine and a Century Arms R1A1 Sporterized. Fond memories of the Nagant and nothing but frustration with the R1A1.
“I prefer Gary,” the Centurion said. - Centurion GRY-237427, "The Hunted"

“This sucks,” Gary said, as the Land-Rams to either side exploded. “I will request a transfer from your command in our next life, Commander.” - Centurion GRY-237427, "The Hunted"

Give a man a match, you warm him for a day. Set him on fire, you warm him for the rest of his life - Terry Pratchett
His Divine Shadow

Got a new scope, ACOG TA11, used from swiss surplus (got a sticker with it too) from a guy I know. Old enough that the tritium is gone, but it's fine shape otherwise. Currently mounted on the .22lr
Sticker says "Für ein freiheitliches Waffenrecht", I haven't used google on it but it's close enough to swedish that it says to me "for a liberal gun law".

Aaron MkII
Jedi Master

Post by Aaron MkII »

Lonestar wrote:

Mosin
Azazal
Jedi Council Member

Post by Azazal »

Aaron MkII wrote:
Lonestar wrote:

Mosin
Hey, you're Canadian. The correct answer is Molson, not Mosin :mrgreen:
His Divine Shadow

BTW, 1874 Sharps rifle in .45-70. Load with black powder, thats the original bison killer. And the rifles are still made today. I want one some day.
Aaron MkII
Jedi Master

Post by Aaron MkII »

Azazal wrote:

Hey, you're Canadian. The correct answer is Molson, not Mosin :mrgreen:
Man you couldn't pay me to drink that shit.

HDS, I saw a Sharps in .45-120 at the range last summer. Lots of smoke and lots of swearing was coming from the owner.
RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

That's a fine looking assault murder scary black semi-automatic rifle you have there, HDS. Admittedly I'm too lazy to look through ten pages of posts and/or it's some nerd thing I should probably know, but what's the logo on the side there?
"How can I wait unknowing?
This is the price of war,
We rise with noble intentions,
And we risk all that is pure..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, Forever (Rome: Total War)

"On and on, through the years,
The war continues on..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, We Are All One (Medieval 2: Total War)
"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear." - Ambrose Redmoon
"You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain." - Harvey Dent, The Dark Knight
His Divine Shadow

The spider is the logo of Spikes Tactical, the name of the company who made the gun. It's a logo that gives me "bro" vibes, but it's a good quality brand of AR,and at the time of purchase ('08), it was by far the best game in town for dedicated 22lr uppers.

Ofcourse if you look at the logo just right, you will see it's actually Darth Vader. It could also be two dicks converging.
Lonestar
Keeper of the Schwartz

Post by Lonestar »

Man, I bet the tritium being gone really cut down the price of that ACOG.

My Dad got a Burris AR-332 for his AR-15, as a poor man's ACOG, He says it's pretty good for the money.

Also HDS, your safe is kinda nice, but isn't as nerdy as YankeeMarshals

"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."
His Divine Shadow

I dunno if the tritium is that big a selling point for most people, it'll be gone eventually nomatter what. I paid around 650 euros for this one, I think I could get 800 out of it or more on pure scarcity, they are extremely rare to be found in Finland anyway. Now and then a TA31 will pop up for like 800, but the TA11 is the one that's more suitable for 3gun style use.

If you want to use it at night, tape a tiny glowstick to the fiber and you're set.

My safe has been pretty boring too, thats the only sticker I liked enough to put up.
Lonestar
Keeper of the Schwartz

Post by Lonestar »

Sea Skimmer wrote:
Speaking of silencers, does anyone have first hand experience, or heck, know someone, who's used one of those Econo-Can suppressors that's just an adaptor for an oil filter?

Hickok45 just put up a video of it

Lonestar
Keeper of the Schwartz

Post by Lonestar »

His Divine Shadow wrote:I dunno if the tritium is that big a selling point for most people, it'll be gone eventually nomatter what. I paid around 650 euros for this one, I think I could get 800 out of it or more on pure scarcity, they are extremely rare to be found in Finland anyway. Now and then a TA31 will pop up for like 800, but the TA11 is the one that's more suitable for 3gun style use.

If you want to use it at night, tape a tiny glowstick to the fiber and you're set.

My safe has been pretty boring too, thats the only sticker I liked enough to put up.
New ACOGs start around $1000 here, although the PX at Quantico sells them for more like $750...probably want to encourage Marines to get used to the optics on their service weapon.

I dunno. If I wanted a 3X with a illuminated reticule I'd probably just buy that Burris I linked to, Unless I came across a pile of money or something.
His Divine Shadow

I know full well what they go for in the states. What things cost over there has very little if anything todo with things here. Life is too short and too filled with gun paperwork for me to buy cheap stuff. I rather thought the Burris was too expensive for what it is. It's doubtful to me it will retain zero over time, or that it's eye relief and eyebox / clarity will be anywhere near that of the ACOGs.

At any rate you can't get these scopes out of the US legally anymore (which would cost many hundreds in paperwork). It has to go through the official dealers and they charge 1900 euros for a new scope. Yes that was not a typo. So ACOG's in civilian hands are super rare and often old, probably from surplus sales from a govt or bought back before 9/11 ruined everything.
Lonestar
Keeper of the Schwartz

Post by Lonestar »

His Divine Shadow wrote:
At any rate you can't get these scopes out of the US legally anymore (which would cost many hundreds in paperwork). It has to go through the official dealers and they charge 1900 euros for a new scope. Yes that was not a typo. So ACOG's in civilian hands are super rare and often old, probably from surplus sales from a govt or bought back before 9/11 ruined everything.
Is it American rules stopping ACOGs from getting into civilian hands in Europe, or European rules?

About a year back there was a big kerfluffle with H&K not going to make civilian versions of some of their new firearms because, frankly, they just didn't want to deal with German export rules. I wonder if it's the same with Trijicon and US export rules.
His Divine Shadow

American export rules are the primary hindrance, but in addition to that Trijicon prevents their american dealers from selling even to foreigners who are willing to pay for the paperwork as well, forcing them to use their local dealers.

There's not really much that can be done about it, except set the ITAR regulations on fire (or stop applying them to civilians buying the odd small arm and related equipment and keep it to missiles and tanks like it was meant to). I would love that.