detailed cruiser model WIP

AMP: sci-fi art, regular art, pictures, photos, comics, music, etc.

Moderator: Beowulf

skynet3020
Redshirt

detailed cruiser model WIP

Post by skynet3020 »

I've been lurking around a bit and decided to post.
This is a model I've worked on before but decided to strip it down and modify the basic shape a bit, then completely redo the details. I'm trying to keep the polygon count reasonable - we'll see what happens in the end - probably around 1M. I'm looking for any feedback you might have.
This isn't tied to any story lines - it's just something I've worked on as a hobby. It's designed to be a cruiser.

Clicking on any of the images brings up a larger version.

Here's what the main hull looks like without the details filled in yet. There are a couple of small areas I filled in but basically it's empty right now. The major turrets and basic hangars are in place though.

The first section I detailed is the command/bridge structure:

I also detailed the engines and surrounding area:

And a closeup of some of the detail:

I'm currently working on the ventral hangar. I'll post some renders once it's finished up.
Frank Hipper
Overfiend of the Superego

Re: detailed cruiser model WIP

Post by Frank Hipper »

Very nice.
Life is all the eternity you get, use it wisely.
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Post by Eternal_Freedom »

Very nice indeed. You said it's not from any storyline, but I would assume (from the shape/style) that it's a Star Wars design. Looks very strong and well-built but those engines look plenty powerful as well. Dead on for a cruiser methinks.
Baltar: "I don't want to miss a moment of the last Battlestar's destruction!"
Centurion: "Sir, I really think you should look at the other Battlestar."
Baltar: "What are you babbling about other...it's impossible!"
Centurion: "No. It is a Battlestar."

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
skynet3020
Redshirt

Post by skynet3020 »

I'm definitely inspired by Star Wars designs as I think they look very functional and are my favorite ships. I can only hope to give that same impression. This isn't as clean as some of the classics but I also want to keep it unique.
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Post by Eternal_Freedom »

It certainly would not look out of place in SW.
Baltar: "I don't want to miss a moment of the last Battlestar's destruction!"
Centurion: "Sir, I really think you should look at the other Battlestar."
Baltar: "What are you babbling about other...it's impossible!"
Centurion: "No. It is a Battlestar."

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
Grahf: Seeker Of Power
Padawan Learner

Post by Grahf: Seeker Of Power »

I would suggest putting the large guns on the ventral surface so they can superfire. They would benefit from a much better firing arc.
"STAND TALL AND SHAKE THE HEAVENS"
My Imgur Profile: https://imgur.com/user/WheelerThigpen
skynet3020
Redshirt

Post by skynet3020 »

Are you referring to moving the huge guns on the sides near the back or moving the ventral turrets forward? The latter makes more sense to me. Perhaps I'll have to remove or rework the stub in the center of that ventral forward protrusion to further improve the available arc in that location.
Grahf: Seeker Of Power
Padawan Learner

Post by Grahf: Seeker Of Power »

Im talking about the big guns on the side.
"STAND TALL AND SHAKE THE HEAVENS"
My Imgur Profile: https://imgur.com/user/WheelerThigpen
skynet3020
Redshirt

Post by skynet3020 »

Those guns actually have pretty good arcs being a distance from the bulk of the ship. Assuming the barrels can go "down" a bit relative to the turret bodies they can superfire forward, up, and down. If They were moved to the ventral hull they would have better coverage on that side of the ship but no ability to fire up leaving coverage a bit thin up there. Another reason I can think of to move them though is they are vulnerable sticking out there - a target of choice for smaller ships. There's also a good place on the dorsal hull for them which would allow superfiring on that side. Another option is to scrap the huge guns altogether and put several smaller guns in, giving them all a good forward arc as well as coverage elsewhere.
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

skynet3020 wrote:Those guns actually have pretty good arcs being a distance from the bulk of the ship. Assuming the barrels can go "down" a bit relative to the turret bodies they can superfire forward, up, and down. If They were moved to the ventral hull they would have better coverage on that side of the ship but no ability to fire up leaving coverage a bit thin up there. Another reason I can think of to move them though is they are vulnerable sticking out there - a target of choice for smaller ships. There's also a good place on the dorsal hull for them which would allow superfiring on that side. Another option is to scrap the huge guns altogether and put several smaller guns in, giving them all a good forward arc as well as coverage elsewhere.
tbh personally I'd scrap the huge guns and what others had said move them to the ventral surface (if you're worried about shooting straight "up" just make the guns capable of 90 degree elevation), oh and do rememeber there's no absolute "up" or "down" in space so no matter where you stick your guns they'll be a target for other ships.
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n
skynet3020
Redshirt

Post by skynet3020 »

That's where I'm leaning - perhaps add some smaller ones to both the dorsal and ventral surfaces with overlapping forward coverage. In this arrangement there would still be good coverage in all 6 directions (whatever they're called from the ship's orientation relative to its surroundings) with some decreased aft coverage. That leaves a space to put something else (ideas?) on those extrusions near the back. Perhaps I can just "wing" it out a bit and put some junk in there, or perhaps some kind of docking area/equipment.
skynet3020
Redshirt

Post by skynet3020 »

I reworked the sides of the ship a bit to eliminate some messy angles. I also repositioned the main guns somewhat, eliminating the huge ones on the sides and rearranging/increasing the ventral guns. Smaller ones will be added in other areas later.

The main time consumer lately has been detailing the area around the ventral hangar which I'm happy with now.

Here's a closeup looking aft into the hangar area.
skynet3020
Redshirt

Post by skynet3020 »

I assume the major gun placement is OK, or are there improvements to be made here before I start detailing around them?
I added details to the forward quarter. Placed several smaller guns along the way (all can super-fire forward) and added details to the main gun.

Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

They are nicely staggered with good clear lines of fire. Not sure I love the platforms as those break the ship lines up a lot but their placement is good for coverage purposes.

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
skynet3020
Redshirt

Post by skynet3020 »

I'll probably redo the platforms for the large guns - just have them there now mainly as a placeholder. It's actually tempting to completely remodel the guns themselves - it's sort of an old crappy mesh I've used for years and I cam probably make something better now.
skynet3020
Redshirt

Post by skynet3020 »

I have finished much of the ventral details. I reworked the big gun down there a bit to blend with its surroundings. The aft section is still bare but I'll save that for last. The total poly count is just over 580k - on track for somewhere between 1 and 1.5M. Next I will detail more of the dorsal surface, starting with those bug guns.

Starboard side, with brightness turned up a bit to emphasize details:
Crossroads Inc.
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crossroads Inc. »

Very Very nice.. Even Fractalsponge would be proud of that detail.
I still love the fact that it looks so "Unlike" a Starwars ship, it is unique creative and different, BUT, it still looks like it would easily be at Home in the StarWars Universe.
Praying is another way of doing nothing helpful
"Congratulations, you get a cookie. You almost got a fundamental English word correct." Pick
"Outlaw star has spaceships that punch eachother" Joviwan
Read "Tales From The Crossroads"!
Read "One Wrong Turn"!
skynet3020
Redshirt

Post by skynet3020 »

I'm glad to hear it still comes off as unique. I certainly added more Star Wars elements after the initial design.

Fractal's stuff is easily an order of magnitude more finely-detailed. Jaw-droopingly impressive too. At this point I'm aiming for a much lower polygon count and simpler project. I don't think I'm ready to handle 10-20M polys.
Skywalker_T-65
Jedi Council Member

Post by Skywalker_T-65 »

Even so, this is darn impressive. Great work. :)
SDNW5: Republic of Arcadia...Sweden in SPAAACE
skynet3020
Redshirt

Post by skynet3020 »

More of the dorsal details are done. Hopefully I can get some quality time in the next couple of weeks and finish the mesh off. Then I'll need to do some cleanup and object grouping to make it easier to work with.
KomradKing
Redshirt

Post by KomradKing »

Wow. I am blown away by the level of detail you have put into that ship. Especially just as a hobby. I've seen a lot of ships in games and movies that don't even come close!
skynet3020
Redshirt

Post by skynet3020 »

I managed to get the file size down to 55MB from 240MB - much easier to handle now. Exact same polygons just grouped differently with modifiers collapsed.
The final poly count turned out a bit lower than originally predicted - only 770339 (almost entirely quads, a few tris too - no ngons).

the most recently completed work:

some other views:

And with that I'll probably conclude my work on this model besides renderings. Thanks for the feedback on weapon placement - I think the model turned out better because of those changes.