Big Steve's Big Damn Vacation!

AMP: sci-fi art, regular art, pictures, photos, comics, music, etc.

Moderator: Beowulf

Steve
Emperor's Hand

Big Steve's Big Damn Vacation!

Post by Steve »

For the last two weeks I have been on a long, much-needed vacation. With Dad gone I needed the chance to destress and get away from scanning cars in the Florida summer, after all.

Note, I apologize for the graininess of some of my photos. The Vivitar camera I bought is made of ass.

First off, I traveled to Ft. Lauderdale on Friday the 15th to celebrate Father's Day with my brother Rick.

Rick enjoys Angry Orchard cider

The following day he showed me around Davie, FL in a blatant attempt to get me to move, including showing me the local shops and restaurants like this wonderful place where we had lunch.

Mmmm, country-fried steak and mashed potatoes with sausage gravy... yum.

Sunday was the big day of course, and a cookout at his friend Josh's home.

Yes, a proper grill for cooking succulent MEATS.

I have a genetic disposition toward giving others bunny ears in photos. Don't judge me!

A new flavor of carbonite!

Rick and I toast to Dad. Doctor Pepper was his favorite soda.

The following day, Rick and his roommate Arjay treated me to the Rustic Inn Crabhouse out on one of the canals. Arjay was rocking a shirt every SDNer would appreciate.

And, alas, the next day I went home, and so ended the first half of my great vacation. Next up... I travel to the nice city of Vancouver, WA, across the Columbia from Portland OR, and meet Her Grace the Duchess of Zeon herself, Marina!
”A Radical is a man with both feet planted firmly in the air.” – Franklin Delano Roosevelt

"No folly is more costly than the folly of intolerant idealism." - Sir Winston L. S. Churchill, Princips Britannia

American Conservatism is about the exercise of personal responsibility without state interference in the lives of the citizenry..... unless, of course, it involves using the bludgeon of state power to suppress things Conservatives do not like.

DONALD J. TRUMP IS A SEDITIOUS TRAITOR AND MUST BE IMPEACHED
Steve
Emperor's Hand

Re: Big Steve's Big Damn Vacation!

Post by Steve »

I apologize for the delay in new pictures, but when I got back home I got waylaid by work, which called me back in early due to manpower shortages.
”A Radical is a man with both feet planted firmly in the air.” – Franklin Delano Roosevelt

"No folly is more costly than the folly of intolerant idealism." - Sir Winston L. S. Churchill, Princips Britannia

American Conservatism is about the exercise of personal responsibility without state interference in the lives of the citizenry..... unless, of course, it involves using the bludgeon of state power to suppress things Conservatives do not like.

Zablorg
Jedi Council Member

Post by Zablorg »

That's a fine looking grill. What's its power usage?
Jupiter Oak Evolution!
Steve
Emperor's Hand

Post by Steve »

I'd have to ask Josh.

Steve
Emperor's Hand

Post by Steve »

God I hate my camera. Anyway, here are the pics from Day 1, when we visited the Mouth of the Columbia River!

From a rest stop along US 26 heading out to Seaside City.

At the Ft. Stevens museum park, with all the nice guns that used to protect the mouth of the Columbia.

Oh come on, like you'd expect Marina to be anywhere else but the gunsight of a naval cannon?

Vacant pits for disappearing gun emplacements.

5" naval gun from WWII, meant for dealing with those perfidious Japanese and their subs!

The wreck of the Peter Iredale along the Oregon coast.

The last pic is of myself, Marina, and Alexia in front of the Peter Iredale's bow.

The result of me walking back uphill in soft sand. The exercise was useful. :)

From there we drove toward Astoria and then across the Astoria-Megler Bridge into Washington State. And from there we arrived at Ft. Columbia, which also guarded the entrance to the Columbia.

Ft. Columbia pictures. Six inch naval guns for everyone!

As it was getting late in the day, we didn't actually hike up to Cape Disappointment Lighthouse, so we stopped to view it from the road.

The northern loop of the path to North Head Lighthouse. Marina and Alexia were trailing behind.

Various pictures from North Head.

From there we had dinner at 42nd Street Cafe in Seaview, WA, which was excellent. We also visited a covered bridge in rural Washington, but alas it was long past twilight at that point and too dark for my camera to work effectively, so I have no good pictures.

Oh, and, one final note:

This is a speed limit sign in Oregon. They don't bother with the word "limit" unless it's the max 65 possible. Oregon is weird.