Camera recommendations

AMP: sci-fi art, regular art, pictures, photos, comics, music, etc.

Moderator: Beowulf

Kintaro
Jedi Knight

Camera recommendations

Post by Kintaro »

I have a Canon Power Shot SX100 IS camera that has crapped out on me after four years of use. The message I get while activating it says "lens error, restart camera". I have done some research, and it seems that this is some kind of design flaw and it must be sent in to the manufacturer for repairs. Naturally, the warranty has expired, and it will cost a lot of money for repairs. After spending over three hundred dollars to purchase this camera, I am slightly less than pleased to say the least. With that in mind, what kind of high quality replacement camera should I get that will last much longer that this one?
The Grim Squeaker
Emperor's Hand

Re: Camera recommendations

Post by The Grim Squeaker »

Budget? Use? How important to you is: Zoom range, low light capability, large prints, manual controls?
Photography
Genius is always allowed some leeway, once the hammer has been pried from its hands and the blood has been cleaned up.
To improve is to change; to be perfect is to change often.
aerius
Charismatic Cult Leader

Post by aerius »

Kintaro wrote:With that in mind, what kind of high quality replacement camera should I get that will last much longer that this one?
Unfortunately 4-5 years is about the expected lifespan of pretty much every consumer level digital camera you can buy these days, the industry expectation is that you'll upgrade or buy a new camera every 3-5 years so they don't build the things to last 10 years. About the exception I can think of is the Fuji X10, and it sure as hell ain't cheap at $600-650.

Or to steal a phrase from someone: Affordable, Digital, Durable. Pick 2.
aerius: I'll vote for you if you sleep with me. :)
Lusankya: Deal!
Say, do you want it to be a threesome with your wife? Or a foursome with your wife and sister-in-law? I'm up for either. :P
Kintaro
Jedi Knight

Post by Kintaro »

Unfortunately 4-5 years is about the expected lifespan of pretty much every consumer level digital camera you can buy these days
Damn, I was afraid of that. I'll look into the Fuji brand name, since I have never owned one.
Budget? Use? How important to you is: Zoom range, low light capability, large prints, manual controls?
I am hoping to keep it under $400, but the Fuji X10 that Aerius mentioned is not out of the question. My Camera has 10x zoom which is great, but I really don't care for low light capabilities, as I will be doing must of my shooting during daylight. If anyone else has some suggestions, please let me know.
The Grim Squeaker
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Grim Squeaker »

Get a good (pretty much anything in the 350-600$ range) compact camera from Canon or Panasonic (Lumix range), superzoom if you want flexibility and don't need it to be very pocketable.
I'd get a Canon S90 (or 95 or S100) for a very pocketable, compact camera with good build quality, good image quality, good interface, decentish low light, and good price (300-400$ range). I have the S90 as a "go everywhere pocket camera" and it's neat and good. The zoom is a bit lacking but decent, and i've had A3 sized prints with it. (And it's still working fine after 2-3 years and moderately heavy use, albeit as a backup to a DSLR)
Photography
Genius is always allowed some leeway, once the hammer has been pried from its hands and the blood has been cleaned up.
To improve is to change; to be perfect is to change often.
His Divine Shadow
Commence Primary Ignition

Post by His Divine Shadow »

aerius wrote:
Kintaro wrote:With that in mind, what kind of high quality replacement camera should I get that will last much longer that this one?
Unfortunately 4-5 years is about the expected lifespan of pretty much every consumer level digital camera you can buy these days, the industry expectation is that you'll upgrade or buy a new camera every 3-5 years so they don't build the things to last 10 years. About the exception I can think of is the Fuji X10, and it sure as hell ain't cheap at $600-650.

Or to steal a phrase from someone: Affordable, Digital, Durable. Pick 2.
I've had my compact Casio Exilim EX-Z4 now since 2003, but it's getting long in the tooth.
Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who did not.
TimothyC
Of Sector 2814

Post by TimothyC »

Does anyone have any thoughts on the DMC-LZ47? I lost my FZ18 a long time ago, and would like to take something better than my Samsung SL620 with me to Hawai'i this year.
"I believe in the future. It is wonderful because it stands on what has been achieved." - Sergei Korolev
Lonestar
Keeper of the Schwartz

Post by Lonestar »

Kintaro wrote:I am hoping to keep it under $400, but the Fuji X10 that Aerius mentioned is not out of the question. My Camera has 10x zoom which is great, but I really don't care for low light capabilities, as I will be doing must of my shooting during daylight. If anyone else has some suggestions, please let me know.

Get yourself a used Micro 4 3rds camera son
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."
TimothyC
Of Sector 2814

Post by TimothyC »

I'm going to get a camera this weekend, and does anyone have anything against the Pentax X-5? The only other camera I'm really looking at is the Canon SX40
"I believe in the future. It is wonderful because it stands on what has been achieved." - Sergei Korolev
Lonestar
Keeper of the Schwartz

Post by Lonestar »

Screw that. Spend a little more and buy a Used Micro 4/3 Camera
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."
General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Post by General Zod »

Micro 4/3rds are okay, but they kind of suck because of the crop factor. You don't get nearly as wide of an angle with the lens as you would with other cameras, which is a pain in the ass if you're shooting indoors.

As far as specific cameras, the Lumix ZS19 or the ZS20 actually looks pretty spiffy for a point & shoot. I haven't used it yet but it's on my list of gadgets to consider getting. You get plenty of zoom power for only a couple hundred.
"It's you Americans. There's something about nipples you hate. If this were Germany, we'd be romping around naked on the stage here."
His Divine Shadow
Commence Primary Ignition

Post by His Divine Shadow »

I got a new camera this summer after I liquidated some cash. I got the Nikon D7000, it's a DSLR camera and I think it rocks. I got the 35mm 1.8 lens for it, very fast lens for freehand photography. I want to expand it with a 55-200 lens later for shooting animals and stuff further away. The 35mm one is a prime lens so it has no zoom.
Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who did not.
General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Post by General Zod »

I was shooting with the D7000 for awhile and I'll second that it's a great camera, but if you don't know how to use manual mode or you're not interested in learning how there's no reason to spend that much money on it. :v
"It's you Americans. There's something about nipples you hate. If this were Germany, we'd be romping around naked on the stage here."