Horse On Fire / 'Avatar'

AMP: sci-fi art, regular art, pictures, photos, comics, music, etc.

Moderator: Beowulf

Kanastrous
Sith Acolyte

Horse On Fire / 'Avatar'

Post by Kanastrous »

So a couple crewmates and I were talking about that shot from near the end of 'Avatar,' where the company mercs are laying the smackdown on the Na'vi and in the midst of the battle Neytiri sees a 'horse' fleeing through the forest, on fire. And we had this feeling that we'd seen that image -somewhere- before ('Avatar' drawing, after all, on a lot of different sources).

Anyone recall having seen that particular image, elsewhere, and if so, where?
I find myself endlessly fascinated by your career - Stark, in a fit of Nerd-Validation, November 3, 2011
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Re: Horse On Fire / 'Avatar'

Post by Thanas »

I vaguely recall a shot like that from a western I saw when I was very young, but I cannot remember what western it was. If it helps any it was about a garrison being wiped out by "Indians". I think a stable was set on fire there....

But I was very young when I saw it so I don't know how good my memory holds up....
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
RIPP_n_WIPE
Jedi Knight

Post by RIPP_n_WIPE »

I remember seeing something like that in the Animatrix when it's talking about the machines fighting mankind.

I am the hammer, I am the right hand of my Lord. The instrument of His will and the gauntlet about His fist. The tip of His spear, the edge of His sword. I am His wrath just as he is my shield. I am the bane of His foes and the woe of the treacherous. I am the end.

-Ravus Ordo Militis

"Fear and ignorance claim the unwary and the incomplete. The wise man may flinch away from their embrace if he girds his soul with the armour of contempt."
Lord Relvenous
Jedi Council Member

Post by Lord Relvenous »

RIPP_n_WIPE wrote:I remember seeing something like that in the Animatrix when it's talking about the machines fighting mankind.
That's a robotic Horseman of the Apocalypse, IIRC.
Coyote: Warm it in the microwave first to avoid that 'necrophelia' effect.
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

Part 2 of the Second Renaissance short of Animatrix, yes.

But I'm sure Animatrix took it from somewhere else too.
Image "DO YOU WORSHIP HOMOSEXUALS?" - Curtis Saxton (source)
shroom is a lovely boy and i wont hear a bad word against him - LUSY-CHAN!
Shit! Man, I didn't think of that! It took Shroom to properly interpret the screams of dying people :D - PeZook
Shroom, I read out the stuff you write about us. You are an endless supply of morale down here. :p - an OWS street medic
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
Nieztchean Uber-Amoeba
Sith Devotee

Post by Nieztchean Uber-Amoeba »

Thanas wrote:I vaguely recall a shot like that from a western I saw when I was very young, but I cannot remember what western it was. If it helps any it was about a garrison being wiped out by "Indians". I think a stable was set on fire there....

But I was very young when I saw it so I don't know how good my memory holds up....
I remember this well, especially the stable, but like you I can't remember the specific film.
Majin Gojira
Sith Acolyte

Post by Majin Gojira »

I remember it from the film/manga/novel Barefoot Gen, which is a memoir about the Hiroshima Bombing.

Yeah. It actually happened.
ISARMA: Daikaiju Coordinator: Just Add Radiation
Justice League- Molly Hayes: Respect Hats or Freakin' Else!
Browncoat
Supernatural Taisen - "[This Story] is essentially "Wouldn't it be awesome if this happened?" Followed by explosions."

Reviewing movies is a lot like Paleontology: The Evidence is there...but no one seems to agree upon it.

"God! Are you so bored that you enjoy seeing us humans suffer?! Why can't you let this poor man live happily with his son! What kind of God are you, crushing us like ants?!" - Kyoami, Ran
salm
Rabid Monkey

Post by salm »

Has somebody got an image of the scene?
Dalton
For Those About to Rock We Salute You
For Those About to Rock We Salute You

Post by Dalton »

Well, not on fire, but made of water - when Elrond floods the Bruinen during FOTR and Gandalf makes the crests look like thundering horses.
To Absent Friends
Dalton | Admin Smash | Knight of the Order of SDN

"y = mx + bro" - Surlethe
"You try THAT shit again, kid, and I will mod you. I will
mod you so hard, you'll wish I were Dalton." - Lagmonster

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.
Kanastrous
Sith Acolyte

Post by Kanastrous »

I find myself endlessly fascinated by your career - Stark, in a fit of Nerd-Validation, November 3, 2011
Slacker
Jedi Knight

Post by Slacker »

Wow, you're right, that does remind me of something else. Damn that's going to be a brain bug now.
"I'm sorry, you seem to be under the mistaken impression that your inability to use the brain evolution granted you is any of my fucking concern."
"You. Stupid. Shit." Victor desperately wished he knew enough Japanese to curse properly. "Davions take alot of killing." -Grave Covenant
Founder of the Cult of Weber
Marko Dash
Jedi Knight

Post by Marko Dash »

i'm wanting to say one of the old black beauty movies. something about a burning glue factory, but that last time i saw those i was like 5 or 6 so the memory's unreliable.
If a black-hawk flies over a light show and is not harmed, does that make it immune to lasers?
TithonusSyndrome
Sith Devotee

Post by TithonusSyndrome »

You sure you're not just recalling images from Ghost Rider in a different context?