Weaver's Delight - Ancient MacCrimmon Tartan

AMP: sci-fi art, regular art, pictures, photos, comics, music, etc.

Moderator: Beowulf

Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Weaver's Delight - Ancient MacCrimmon Tartan

Post by Broomstick »

I don't think we've featured weaving on SD.net before, but what the hell - here is some yardage of tartan cloth I wove a few years ago. The pattern is an Ancient MacCrimmon (hope I spelled that right), 5 yards (just under 5 meters) by 32 inches (81 cm) woven at 32 threads per inch by yours truly.

A close up:

A closer up:

And proof that this is hand weaving - my selvedges (edges) are not perfect:
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
Mayabird
Storytime!

Re: Weaver's Delight - Ancient MacCrimmon Tartan

Post by Mayabird »

That's a pretty pattern. What did you weave it with and what did you do with the cloth?
[line 2]
DPDarkPrimus is my boyfriend!

SDNW4 Nation: The Refuge And, on Nova Terra, Al-Stan the Totally and Completely Honest and Legitimate Weapons Dealer and Used Starship Salesman slept on a bed made of money, with a blaster under his pillow and his sombrero pulled over his face. This is to say, he slept very well indeed.
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

I wove it on a four-harness jack loom. Haven't done anything with the cloth, I've just had it for a number of years after the person who commissioned it went sour on the deal. Wouldn't mind either selling it as cloth or maybe turning it into shawls or scarves.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Mayabird
Storytime!

Post by Mayabird »

Your jack loom or from someone else? And is it wool or some other material?
[line also]
DPDarkPrimus is my boyfriend!

SDNW4 Nation: The Refuge And, on Nova Terra, Al-Stan the Totally and Completely Honest and Legitimate Weapons Dealer and Used Starship Salesman slept on a bed made of money, with a blaster under his pillow and his sombrero pulled over his face. This is to say, he slept very well indeed.
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

My jack loom. It's Australian Merino wool.

LaCroix
Sith Acolyte

Post by LaCroix »

Nice one.
Do a kilt.
Period.
A minute's thought suggests that the very idea of this is stupid. A more detailed examination raises the possibility that it might be an answer to the question "how could the Germans win the war after the US gets involved?" - Captain Seafort, in a thread proposing a 1942 'D-Day' in Quiberon Bay

I do archery skeet. With a Trebuchet.