Tank done in Sketchup, large images

AMP: sci-fi art, regular art, pictures, photos, comics, music, etc.

Moderator: Beowulf

Agent Sorchus
Jedi Master

Tank done in Sketchup, large images

Post by Agent Sorchus »

2.26m tall, 6.79 m long minus barrel, 3.1m wide with tracks, and 2.05m w/o tracks on the rear hull.

L64 8cm gun, 1944 SDNW3 Sudanese. 70 degree frontal sloped armor, ~50 degree sloped turret armor.

Also on a not totally unrelated note does anyone still have TankSharp or a link to it? I can't find it on Shep's homepage.
the engines cannae take any more cap'n
warp 9 to shroomland ~Dalton
Imperial528
Jedi Council Member

Re: Tank done in Sketchup, large images

Post by Imperial528 »

It's a pretty nice start.

A few questions though:

What's that protrusion at the back of the turret for? Or, alternatively, why the gaps between its edges at the rest of the turret? The flat surface would be much more vulnerable than a sloped surface.

I like the treads on it, but right now the wheels look like they're just floating in the air beside the body. Maybe you should make some structure connecting them to the body?
Agent Sorchus
Jedi Master

Post by Agent Sorchus »

This imitates the Panzer 4 to a fair degree, and with the incredibly long gun it should need a lot of internal space for the breach and ammo storage. To lessen the shot trap quality the rear of the turret (not the protrusion) is slightly angled and I am planning on putting a bit of applique armor over the protrusion as additional armor. However any tank that is in it's weight class is going to have to prioritize to frontal defense rather than making the always vulnerable rear better.

In fact the tank is so very short at the moment and lacks a lot of internal space. I'm thinking about increasing it's height in general and most especially in the turret.

As for the rather unfinished nature of it, I didn't want lots of details added while I'm still proofing the concept.
ComradeClaus
BANNED
Location: Ossurary Gateworld, Corrupted Wilderness, Star Wars Galaxy. Serving her Divine Highness.

Post by ComradeClaus »

Agent Sorchus wrote:This imitates the Panzer 4 to a fair degree, and with the incredibly long gun it should need a lot of internal space for the breach and ammo storage. To lessen the shot trap quality the rear of the turret (not the protrusion) is slightly angled and I am planning on putting a bit of applique armor over the protrusion as additional armor. However any tank that is in it's weight class is going to have to prioritize to frontal defense rather than making the always vulnerable rear better.
Panzer V you mean, the Panzer IV was mostly right angles.

Breech/breechblock= rear of gun.

When you get the chance, a radio antenna & crew hatch should be added to the turret roof. And you should extend the turret face forward a couple centimeters. & maybe some side skirts for track protection.
Agent Sorchus
Jedi Master

Post by Agent Sorchus »

No it is the exact opposite of the Panther. Just because the front is sloped doesn't make the turret similar or the size. The Panther was fucking giant for how little it did. It's hull kinda resembles the Italian P26-40 heavy tank prototype, which makes sense since the Italian's fought in North Africa and Eithiopia like the SDNW3 Sudanese would've planned on.

And like I said the detailing isn't finished. I'm kinda waiting for some other thoughts on it 'till I finish it.

ed: I'm going to be using the Bofors 8cm AA gun as a reference for this tank-gun, but I can't find many good images of it. :(

ed2: I'm starting a light tank from '38 supplement this design.
HMS Sophia
Jedi Master

Post by HMS Sophia »

http://www.war44.com/showthread.php?t=2073&pagenumber=
That's the best set of references I can find of the gun.
Personally I really like the turret. The long back section on the back is really appealing compared to the big blocky turrets you see some times.
The muzzle brake on the gun (assuming thats what it is) is pretty cool.
All in all, it looks nice, it looks fast and it looks capable. I like it.
"Seriously though, every time I see something like this I think 'Ooo, I'm living in the future'. Unfortunately it increasingly looks like it's going to be a cyberpunkish dystopia, where the poor eat recycled shit and the rich eat the poor." Evilsoup, on the future

StarGazer, an experiment in RPG creation